Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

SewPerfectly Sunderland

Hi, I am new today , and new to bear making, and hope its ok to ask all you bear making experts a question.
Can someone tell me how you go about making a bear head jointed, so it turns and tilts,  :pray: any help would very much be appreciate.

Hugs Jackie

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Hi Jackie! Welcome to TT and to the wonderful addiction of bear making! I hope you have fun with it all!!! :dance:

First let me point out to you the LIBRARY. If you look right above your first post up there, on the left you'll see the word LIBRARY and a drop down menu..... and hi.gif waving at you to get your attention. If you select "JOINTS" in that menu it will give you a lit of past discussions we've had and you might find the answer to your question. You'll see many different topics for which you can find info on various steps in bear making. Its a great library.

Also we have a "Tips & Techniques" section which is another great resource for finding answers to questions and for posting bear making related questions. The link to the Tips & Techniques section is on the Index or main page of the site.

Last, there is the SEARCH function which is in the horizontal menu across the top of the page, towards the right hand side. You can type in keywords here just like Google only it'll just search the TT site. So you could type in "neck joint" and see what you get. You might want to narrow your search to results in the Tips & Techniques Forum.

Have fun poking around the site!!! There are tons of talented folks here with lots of great tips!!

Some basics on neck joints to get your started:
Any joint on a bear usually consists of 2 discs, 2 washers and either a cotter pin or a screw and nut. One end goes in the head and is then inserted into the body where the other end of the joint is assembled. Double jointed necks have an extra section of neck between the joint at the shoulders and the joint at he head. This section is wedge shaped enabling the head to tilt. Another way to make a head that will tilt is to create a wobble joint... which can be done with two cotter pins.

I'm a visual person so refer to bear making books with illustrations or photo tutorials online. Have you invested in any bear making books? Nancy Tillberg, Jennifer Laing and Ted Menton are some authors I'd highly recommend. Nancy's 101 Bears to Make is probably the most comprehensive. It's out of print right now but you might be able to find a copy on Amazon or eBay.

Hugs,
Daphne  :hug:

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Not sure if you mean a wobble headed look. In that case there are special joints...like cotter pins. There are also swivel joints. I think there is info on using them in the library on TT which is at the top of the page!

SewPerfectly Sunderland

Thank you for all your help , I will go check that out now...thank you!

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Just popped in to say your 'Reborns' are exceptional Jackie.  :clap:  :clap: (pardon the pun) haha they truely are a work of art. bear_thumb 
Is this bear you wish to make going to be a companion to one of your wee bubs?
Wendy

Board footer