Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

treatsrule Murrieta, Ca
Website

I’ll be driving out to Intercal in Costa Mesa this week to get mohair and supplies for my first project. I purchased some mohair samples online, but I can’t bring myself to order any fabric yet. I just can’t do it based on the samples LOL!

I have a couple questions to ask before I go. Is there a type of mohair that is easier to dye than others? & I have already bought a few great books on bear making, but I’d like to pick up a good DVD too, any suggestions?

And one more thing, since it is a bit of a drive for me to get there I’d like to try and work in at least one other shop in the general area on the same day. I am wondering if anyone can recommend any other shops in the OC/LA area (or the San Diego area too, for another day). I’d like to find a place that has a large selection of artist bears available and/or supplies. I am a complete newbie when it comes to bears so I don’t know where all the must see bear shops are in So. Cal.

Deborah  bear_original

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Hi,
Welcome to the wonderful world of bear making.  Johnna at Intercal can head you in the right direction for the best mohairs for dying.  The natural string would be a good choice.  I did a lot of dying years ago and was never disappointed.  Every time was a new experiment and I loved the results.  I really enjoyed seeing what would happen with the tipped fabrics when they were dyed. 
I'm afraid I am no help to you at all with stores in the S. Ca. area.  There are several TTer's who live in the area that may be able to point you in the right direction.
Have fun at Intercal.  Take lots of money, mohair tends to make you go mad spending!
Donna

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website

Hmmmm - no other shops I know of. Sorry.

treatsrule Murrieta, Ca
Website
Donna wrote:

Hi,
Johnna at Intercal can head you in the right direction for the best mohairs for dying...  Take lots of money, mohair tends to make you go mad spending!
Donna

Hi Donna and Kirsten,

That is good to know that there will be an expert on hand to answer questions. I'm bringing my pattern, a list of supplies to get and I don't even want to think about the money part LOL! I am sure I'm going to be tempted!

Thank you  bear_original
Deborah

treatsrule Murrieta, Ca
Website

Ooops I just went to double check Intercal's hours and saw that I needed to make an appointment - duh! It's right there on the website and I missed it. Hopefully they will be open tomorrow. I just sent them an email to find out.

Deborah  bear_original

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Deborah,
I forgot to address the part of the question about DVD's.  There are some videos out that I have used.  The best one is by Jennifer Laing.  Edinburgh used to have it, don't know if they still do.  Another one is by John Renpenning.  There is a CD out by Rotround Islish (spelling is off on her name).  That one I also got at Edinburgh Imports.  That one is for a more experienced bear maker than the Jennifer Laing video.
I think the reason you need to make an appointment is so that someone is there so you don't make the long drive to have the building locked up.  Johnna is very easy to work with and will try her best to meet your needs.  She is a real sweetheart!
Have fun and don't drool on the mohair until you pay for it.
Donna

Board footer