Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

theKeepMeCo. Posts: 185

IMG_0293.jpgIMG_0290.jpgWell, I haven't been doing a lot of sewing lately, because I've found myself hopelessly addicted to crochet! I'm only just beginning, but so far I've managed to make a few silly animals; some fish, a couple of kitties, and a penguin. I was feeling adventurous last week, and decided to try my hand at making up my own pattern. This little fox is the result. I think he turned out pretty goofy...I knew I wanted biggish ears on him, but his ears ended up being REALLY big! He is about 5 1/2 inches tall, not including those ears. I'm slightly embarrassed to show him off, but I guess he isn't too horrible for a first attempt. bear_tongue  Anyway, I was just wondering how many TTers crochet. I would love to see some pics of your creations!
-Lynnette

staticbear76 Posts: 222

awesome fox of crochet it is staticool it has a unique design that is the beauty of creating neat and new things like matilda each person has their own style maybe your style is crochet my sis used to do crochet blankets and such it is a good art.thanks your friend staticbear-chris

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hi Lynette, very cute, I really like your fox. I love to crochet and at the moment I am making old fashioned dresses for a couple of bears that will be going to the Hugglets show with me next month. Keep up the good work.

Hugs, Jane.  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

Really cute!  I have to stay away from crochet or like you, I won't have time to sew!  Yep, he's adorable alright!!!

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I also enjoy crochet but had to make a decision about what I liked more and mohair bears won ... altho I'm really enjoying dolls just now as well. I still have my crochet supplies and patterns for little bears so one day....

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

So very cute,
Lynette

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub Love the fox, I also chrochet and love it, but do not do it quite as often as I used to.  I did chrochet my avatar to the left for my xmas exchange ornament this year.  I love to chrochet aphgans.  Have not made a little bear tho, will try one day.
keep uo the great work!

Thanks so much for the compliments guys! They have really given the fox (and me) a good confidence boost! The big ears have grown on me...perhaps some more big eared animals will be in the works some day. I'm glad to know that I'm not alone with my crochet obsession. Pat, I had been wondering if your avatar was crochet...it's adorable! My goal is to hopefully have the focus and patience to crochet an afghan. For the time being though, now that the fox is finished, I have organized my yarns and put them away for a little while, cause I've got too many sewing projects to complete!
-Lynnette

enchantmentsart Feather Heart Creations
TX

Ah he's very cute & great for making your own pattern!  My mother-in-law crochets a lot & wanted to teach me.  I got a few needles and some crochet patterns and tread I just don't get the patterns  bear_ermm Also tried to knit and same thing I read the patterns and they might as well me in a foreign language  bear_wacko

Nina, I found the patterns hard to understand at first too. Crochet patterns are like reading a whole different language, but once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad. I've actually found it to be a little easier than knitting. The book I learned from was a little paperback I found at a book fair called "I can't believe I'm crocheting." I think they might sell a version of it in the craft department of wal-mart. Also, there's a lot of information online, even on youtube. Lion brand yarn also has a website with lots of free patterns, some of which are really good for beginners. Trust me, if I can learn, anyone can do it!  bear_original
-Lynnette

bearkidz bearkidz by Marion Fraile
charlotte
Website

Cute little crocheted fox.  bear_wub
I also crochet, but mostly bears crocheted from eyelash or other fuzzy yarns.

Hugs,
Marion bear_original

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

I've been crocheting since I was about 8 years old and still love it although I don't do as much as I used to. I think crocheting an afghan would be way easier than doing your little fox Lynnette. He turned out really cute! I've done bedspreads, afgahans, doilies, dresses, and numerous sweaters but I have yet to try crocheting a bear. I do crochet dresses and other accessories for my little bears and usually have an afghan on the go as I find it so relaxing when watching TV.

Marion, I love your bears. I showed pictures of them to my mom and her jaw dropped when she found out they're crochet! Edie, I agree, crochet is very relaxing during tv nights. I would eventually like to try a few little bear accessories...maybe some simple hats and scarves. The fox is actually really easy. I'm going to make a few improvements to the pattern and then hopefully post it in the "free patterns" section eventually.
-Lynnette

Jan Nethercutt YesterYear Design
Oklahoma

Your fox is a great first, Lynnette.  I've crocheted for over 65 years.  I started crocheting bears and bear friends in 2005.  All of them are miniature.....6 inches and under.  Rascal, my avatar, stands 4 inches tall.  More pictures of my creations are shown on my web site.  Creations by members of the Thread Artist Guild (R) may be seen on the Guild web site.    Hugs, Jan

Wow Jan, your creations are beautiful.  bear_wub  I really like those knitted penguins on your site. The bears and other creations on the Thread Artist Guild site are lovely as well. I'm still not bold enough to try such tiny work, but I do have a few patterns for minis, so maybe some day.
-Lynnette

enchantmentsart Feather Heart Creations
TX
Jan Nethercutt wrote:

Your fox is a great first, Lynnette.  I've crocheted for over 65 years.  I started crocheting bears and bear friends in 2005.  All of them are miniature.....6 inches and under.  Rascal, my avatar, stands 4 inches tall.  More pictures of my creations are shown on my web site.  Creations by members of the Thread Artist Guild (R) may be seen on the Guild web site.    Hugs, Jan

wow your avatars crocheted?  It looks like fur!  Do you mind if  I ask what type of yarn you used?  I really want to make a crochet dragon but have no idea where to start bear_original

Jan Nethercutt YesterYear Design
Oklahoma

Thanks, Lynnette and Nina.  The yarn I use is discontinued.  Marion and I don't use patterns, we crochet shapes.  Dragons could be created the same way....crochet a body with tail shape, create head, legs, wings and whatever other parts you want, then assemble or joint as you desire.  Also, I'm sure there are patterns for crocheted dragons on the net.   Go for it.  Hugs, Jan

PeachtreeCottage Peachtree Cottage
Georgia
Website

I think you'll find that there are several artists who work mainly in crochet format.  I myself am another that makes miniature thread crochet bears and other animals.  Most of mine are about 2.5 to 3 inches tall.

The Thread Artist Guild (R) was founded with these artists in mind and is for those who do both small and miniature (creates at 12 inches or under) bears and other friends.  We provide supportive information, share knowledge and resources as well as have a progressional program that goes from Apprentice to Master Artisan within the thread/fiber creation arena.

I think you're off to a really good start with your little fox....he's cute !  bear_original

/bearhugs,

Jennskains Posts: 2,203
threadteds ThReAdTeDs®
Website

threadteds Banner Sponsor

klein.jpgThanks so much for sharing your work!! I love it!!

I too crochet.. did curtains and doilies and clothes and started to design/sell thread bears and friends in 1999-2000. I made crochet animals for my kids when they were small, but the bears I design and make for the collector are mostly fully jointed, I love to make the floppy jointed or old fashion crochet toys too.  Since I sold many patterns and many of the thread artist today did start with these.. (yes..that long I am around making thread bears, as I started there was not even a hand ful thread animal artist) and I am proud of that. 
It brought a whole new bear for the collectors. 

As moderator of ThreadAnimal group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/threadanimals, founded by Debbie Nicholas in 2003, I/we (owner and moderators) continue promote crochet bear making. We provide free patterns, challenges and so on. Also needle felting and other fiber arts are discussed and teached in the group.  And the best..joining Thread Animals is free!!

I was nominated with a crochet bear several times, and the top was winning the TITA 2008 with the small crochet bear wearing an OYA lace collar..The big bear won Swiss Teddy Award 2007.. Oya lace is another new, but very old technic, I just had to learn and to to add to my bears. Many recognation and interest I received for teaching Oya..(Thanks to the Oya corsages added to this winning bears, isn`t it funny how one thing can lead to another) and I published ThReAdTeDs Oya-Guide which was first available during the work-shops I teached in USA a few weeks ago.... so much fun!! 

Aaarch..reading back the above, I hope it does not sound as bragging .. I just love to crochet and design... and winning a competition is such a big award for recognation of my work.

My bears/work you can see on my website too www.threadteds.com

Maybe see you in ThreadAnimal group soon...lol...you are invited.. I am sure you wil enjoy all crochet animals posted by members.

Hugs,
Berta

Thanks Mary! I love your bears and critters, especially the Christmas elf bears and the tiny apaloosa pony. I opened up my new issue of Teddy Bears and Friends yesterday, and found an article about the Thread Artist's Guild. Neat! Berta, thanks for the invite to the group. I will definitely join, although I think I'm still worlds away from making anything as beautiful as the creations I've seen so far! And I don't think you're bragging, your bears are lovely and original, and anyone would be proud to have designed them! It's so amazing to see what bear artists can do with crochet. So far most of the animal patterns I have found are done in the Japanese amigurumi style. They are very fun, adorable little guys, but the crochet artist bears are simply elegant! bear_wub
-Lynnette

threadteds ThReAdTeDs®
Website

threadteds Banner Sponsor

Thank you Lynette!

You wil see, with a little practice and a lot patience you wil improve with each next animal you crochet.

We have beginners to advance in our group, all differend levels,  I am sure you do not feel alone and wil love it!! 

Happy Crocheting!!

Berta

Board footer