Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

So, it's 10:45 on a Saturday night here in the woods of New Hampshire, USA.....

I've been sick since Wednesday, have this horrendous sore throat and no voice, and am going stir crazy!  :wacko:

My hubby went to bed early because he has to be on the road to his folk's house by 5:00am!  :o

The dog, Tucker, who went to be with him, just puked on the bed quilt, woke 'daddy' up and boy was he mad!  :mad:

That's taken care of now and all is quiet.  :)

I've been working on my little teddy bear quilts, flipping through the channels on the TV... decided I couldn't watch Dances With Wolves a 4th time... and here I am.  :angel:

What a pathetic life!  :/

Remember when we were young and used to go out with friends, live it up, stay out late, have fun and make our parents worry? I don't want to be a grown up any more!!  :P

What are you doing tonight?

Daphne

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Well,it's 11:55 pm here (almost my pumpkin hour) and I'm just checking in here before bed.Sorry to hear you are not feeling well Daphne  bear_sad   bear_cry  Hope you feel better soon.I don't want to be a grown up either lately so I'm with you. Big bear hugs to you!!  Feel well soon.  bear_flower

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Well, it is just me and the doggies.. hubby is at work to do a 24 hr shift.... I dont go out much anymore... I use to go out all the time but that doesnt really intrest me anymore... been sick too many times after having a good time LOL.....  It is 11:00 p.m. here (Saturday, of course)  I am stitching up the stuffing holes of Autumn... I list them and then when they are almost ready to end their auction, I stitch them up... that is the only part of making a bear that I dont like.... I actually have two sitting in my curo cabinet right now that need to be stitched up...   

LOL -  Right now I am watching Meet the Fockers.... LOL this will be the second time I have seen it today (within the last 6 hrs) and have seen Along Came Polly twice now too... LOL

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Kim, I enjoyed watching "Meet the Fockers" once, but I'm not sure I could watch it twice in one day!   :rolleyes:
It's a little after 11:00pm here - Daphne, my time line had you posting at 9:50pm, so you should be in beddy-bye right now as it's after midnight your time.  Sorry you're feeling rotten - get better soon.  I just watched the 10:00pm news, then answered some e-mail, then logged on here.  Hubs is playing spider solitaire on his computer.  We are night owls most of the time . . . old retired people can sleep in, then stay up late.  All the animals are sacked out in their respective favorite places.  I did notice when I logged on that I am the ONLY one here right now.  Where are you West Coast Teddy Talkers??  It's only 9:15pm (almost) out there!  Oh - I guess there is life beyond this message board!!   bear_tongue  bear_tongue  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  Nighty-night everybody . . . think I'll play a little spider solitaire myself, then turn in.  See ya tomorrow!

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Gee girls, you need to get a life LOL   :hug: I'm only poking fun at you, cuz I luv yah all, and I know EXACTLY what it's like!!

I've had a few late nights in my life time - not nearly enough as I've been sick since I was 16 LOL  Oooh what a sheltered life I live! LOL   :/

Anyhow, my plans for tonight (it's only 4.45pm here now) will be to watch Idol, then some other shows, then bed. Yes, I live a very exciting life!  Guess I'm not alone though hey girls?

I hope you're feeling better Daphne!!!!!!!!
Danni

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Oh Daphne sorry to hear that you still feel not good.......  :cry:
I hope you will recover soon.  :pray: :angel:

It's 15:00pm on sunday here and I am eating sweet potatos. yum yum...  bear_wub
I don't like to disappoint everyone but ..me too ,  Exactly same with you girls.  :D
I will just watch more TV movies and cook dinner and do some of bear making,
then go to bed.  bear_happy hee hee not much fun ? no, I like my bear life.  bear_wub

Hugs/Marie

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Well, it's good to know I am in great company!  :lol:

At the moment it's 3:00am here on the east coast and I'm NOT alone! Marie is here! Yippee!!  :dance:

I was coughing so badly I had to leave the bedroom... am drinking tea with honey... probably a trip to the doctor's is in order now. Whaaaaaa!

The good news.... I laid in bed designing a new bear AND came up with a couple of great ideas for the bear show I'm producing!  :thumbsup:

Sue Ann, my parents sit in their den/office, each on their own laptops, playing spider solitaire every night!!! Have you ever played Ma-Jong? A computer card/numbers gave of sorts.... very addicting!!

Hugs, Daphne

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Oh no Daphne, you are still up !!  :hug:
Congratulations for new bear design ~  bear_thumb bear_whistle bear_flower Yay Yay Yay  :clap:
and good ideas too ?  :bday:  :dance: Yay !!
I hope you'll get some sleep this morning and please stop playing that Ma-jong game!  he he he   bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin

Ok, I go back to my kitchen....
Hugs/Marie

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Hubs is playing spider solitaire on his computer.

bear_grin Sue Ann and Daphne  bear_grin

This is exactly what I find my husband doing when I think he's working too hard, and long into the night! I can barely manage basic solitaire . . .

Saturday Nights? We end up watching "All Creatures Great and Small" reruns, then falling asleep on our respective chairs/sofas, surrounded by snoring dogs and covered in sleeping cats. We wake up when the kids come clattering home from their nights out, wash the dishes unless the kids offer to, and go to bed. I'm cool. At this stage, a night out on the town would do me in for a week!

Eileen

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Well it's not Saturday night here any more by the time I read your post Daphne it's 9.55am on Sunday morning. I hope you feel much better very soon Daphne, I know all too well how horrible it is not to feel good.
I spent Saturday evening comforting my poor little dogs. Yesterday here in England was Guy Fawkes...Bonfire night. This all came about because of 'The Gunpowder Plot '
A secret plan to overthrow the king of England 400 years ago. A mercenary returning from war abroad. with thirty six barrels of gunpowder. . .

In 1605, thirteen young men planned to blow up the Houses of Parliament. Among them was Guy Fawkes, Britain's most notorious traitor.
· Bonfire Night ·
On the night of November 5th, throughout Britain, we commemorate the capture of Guy Fawkes with bonfires and fireworks, and by burning an effigy of Guy.
Sounds like fun doesn't it! Well to some it is and I don't wish to spoil anyone from having fun but last night all over England it sounded like a war zone. Boy it was so loud that when I tried to take the dogs to the garden to go to the loo the noise was horrendous and I could feel the vibration in my chest from the extremely loud bangs. None of the dogs would pee and all went running back into the house frightened. I had to sit holding Holly for four hours with a cover over her as this was the only way to comfort her. She shook all over and today she is hiding herself away under anything she can find. This happens every year and not just on the 5th of November. Some people find it great to explode these dangerous explosives for ages all around the date of November 5th and then again as the New Year arrives. I always spend the first few hour of the New Year comforting my dogs. I can't even imagine what is like for the poor wildlife and how many of them die of fright each year. I wish the government of this country would put a complete ban on all fireworks...not even allowing big organisations to put on firework displays. Yesterday a rouge firework went into a crowd of people at one of these events and injured lots of people including children. All over England today hospitals have new patients with burns...why do it! If you've not got it by now I HATE FIREWORKS!  :mad:
Sorry about all this but I am using all of you to vent my anger at such stupidity. I won't ever understand why we celebrate traitors, can you imagine celebrating modern day traitors...we'd be arrested.

Down off my soap box no...need a valium or two...no just joking...maybe a coffee.  :rolleyes:

Jane

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_sad Awww Jane,

My Lucy is the same . . . terrified of fireworks. And thunder. We spend Canada Day (July 1st) and Victoria Day comforting her. She trembles and whines and looks for places to hide! If she were caught outside during the bombardment, she'd panic and keep running! I was on the other end of her leash one night when this happened, and barely managed to wrestle her back home. I always rejoice when it rains hard on these nights!

Eileen

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Well, it is Sunday Morning here now at 9:20 a.m. and I must admit, I am or longer!  I have two dogs and I admit, they bark sometimes, but when they do, I correct them!  I tell them "It is enough" and they quiet down.  My neighbors just let them bark and bark and bark.... we are in row homes so I can hear them when they are in the living room and I am upstairs trying to sleep!  I usually wake up around 8 but I was up cutting out bears, I was on a roll so I didnt want to stop so I was up until about 2.  AND NOW, AS I TYPE THIS, THE DOG IS GETTING WORSE WITH THE BARKING!!!  If I shut a door too hard or close a cabinet too hard, he barks then too!  ARRGH!!!  bear_angry

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

My female, Daisy who is almost 3 yrs old is terrified of almost everything... I wonder if it is because I use to baby her when she heard loud noises, like thunder, fireworks....  Max looks at me as if to ask me "what is that" but he never shows any signs of being afraid.... they are sooo different!  My pom that we had when I was younger use to hide in the bathroom next to the toilet (a room without windows) and under the couch when it thundered! We would always go searching and there little cotton would be, sitting in the bathroom! LOL  My jack russell that I use to have was terrified of storms too, he use to hide under the couch... I guess it is because they have sensitive ears...

Daisy has gotten better with it, I dont baby her anymore and she has gotten use to thunder and such... they still dont like the sweeper, the hand vac or my blow dryer though!  LOL

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Jane & Kim......

MELATONIN

BACH FLOWER'S RESCUE REMEDY

Either one of these is great to give a dog when a thunderstorm, lightening or other scary/stressful situation is pending. Both are all natural and work to balance the emotions, including fear/anxiety.

Melatonin comes in drops (hard to find) or powder caps which I open up, mix powder with peanut butter and the dogs eat it right up. You can get it at health food stores and I have even found it at my grocery store in their natural supplements isle.

Bach Flower Rescue Remedy is widely used by rescue shelters to help the animals adjust and settle in to it's temporary surroundings. It's great! Comes in liquid form, simple.. put a few drops in dog/cat's water or right on the tongue if immediate response is necessary.

Jane, for fireworks and thunderstorms you could put it in water the day before, continue to put in fresh water the day of the event, etc. It's ok for them to have it regularly. I have a friend who puts it in her Jack Russel and cat's water bowls every day, always and it helps to keep them relatively mellow with out seeming 'drugged'.

Here is a link for Rescue Remedy...... I highly recommend looking into it!
http://www.bachflower.com/index.html

If you do a search for Bach Flower Pets or Rescue Remedy Pets you'll find quite a bit of info. Bach offers many flower essences for different emotional imbalances. They were originally created for and are used by people.

Or you could call the vet and get a mild sedative for such occassions. Our cocker spaniel developed seizures after taking a vet prescribed sedative so I stay away from them.

Estelle Estelles canal bears and Tod Teddies
Todmorden West Yorkshire

thats great it allways annoys me when people knock alternative therapies, by saying the benefits are all in the mind of the person taking it, but I have seen them work many times on animals who have no way of knowing.  bear_rolleyes

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Thanks, Daphne!  :rose:

I'm going to try a natural source sedative on Lucy. I hate to see her suffer. Maybe while she's under the influence, she'll be calm enough to let me brush her tail--after 14.5 years, it's got a few dreadful tangles, and the best I can manage is a comb-over!

Eileen

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Thanks so much for the information daphne. I will be able to help poor little Holly from now on. It's been really bad here, I was so pleased for heavy rain last night. It stoped a lot of the fireworks but the beasts still have the for tonight so Ill get the medication today and hope everything stays calm.

Jane  bear_original

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Well it's not Saturday now but I'll just give you an idea what my Friday and Saturdays are usually like.  We have a friend of the family who is a bachelor living alone so he is here every weekend.  We eat, drink coffee and play cards until the wee hours of the morning.  This has been our routine for several months now and I love it.  Daphne, I agree with you, I don't mind growing up but I don't want to grow old.  In the movie Secondhand Lions the old man makes the comment when he is told to slow down, "What do you want us to die of, old age?"  I gave him a good  hearty AMEN to that.  I am 47 and I don't call that old and I don't want to sit and do nothing.  Now when I'm 90 I'll be old and I've told my family I will then go to the Grand Canyon and take the mule ride down.  If I fall, well I'm 90 years old and I "died with my boots on".

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Millie,
We just Wathced Secondhand Lions this weekend... we own the DVD! Love that movie! Yes, no point in just sitting around waiting to die. My grandmother, who will be 94 next week, has been doing that for about 5 years now. It's sad.

Grand Canyon sounds like a grat plan!
Daphne

Board footer