Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Merry Calliope Redmond, WA

I've been sketching up bear designs like crazy but I've run into a bit of a snag. I tend toward bear designs that incorporate fairly long necks. Either realistic-style (upright), with thick necks, or more cartoonish with skinny necks.

I've done a bit of research and came across the neck wedge idea Nancy Tillberg describes in her book and a techniques for 'skinny necks', found on a website, that uses stacked joint discs. After considering each I've determined neither quite suits my designs...

So, back at the drawing board, what I'm considering is, for the upright realistic bears, simply designing the head pieces with long necks. For the 'skinny neck' bears I'm considering making a skinny variation on the neck wedge.

In both cases, however, I'm concerned that after time the filling in the necks will break down, causing the neck to flop. Am I on the wrong track here? An option in both cases would be to build the neck around a length of Loc-Line which, I would think, would help keep the heads upright.

Another thing I'm trying to avoid is designing anything (especially bodies) that need a circle of fabric inset for the neck. But only because I'm laaaaazy. ^_^;;; If it ends up being the best thing to do to realize the design, I'll do it. :D

I'm just kind of brain-dumping here. ^_^; If anyone has any suggestions/advice or can just tell me I'm on the wrong or right track before I start cutting into the fabric I'd really appreciate it!  bear_flower

-Merry

PS> If there is a place on TT I can post up some of my sketches...if anyone is interested in seeing...I'd be glad to share. ^_^;

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

I think the lock line would work to support the neck, however~ what will the joint look like without a circle of fabric, my concern would be that the joint would have an awkward appearance. I mean if it is a long skinny neck then it might work allright if the head design has a bit of neck also so they would join alright. But a thick neck might need the fabric circle to make the joint look natural. just my thoughts..

Merry Calliope Redmond, WA

Hm... I see what you mean. At the very least the neck 'insert' would need to have flat ends. Or else it'd look like a furry balloon animal!  :crackup:

The only reason I'm balking at doing the circles is that I'm having a hard time imagining how it'd fit in the neck area of the body pieces. Base of the head, sure. Ends of a tube, sure. But for some reason, and even though I've actually looked at existing patterns with the inset circle, I can't wrap my brain around designing it myself.  bear_wacko

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

I've done this with a giraffe neck before now, just with a length of insulated wire sewn in as a 'spine' in the neck, which was separate to the head and body.  Seemed to work ok!  Especially as I never got beyond the body, and now the giraffe just acts like a very stylised pin cushion XD

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I'm thinking that if you did a separate neck wedge you won't have to have a circle in the body... just attach the wedge to the body like you would the head... as long as you a disc in the body the same size as the disc in the wedge it should look just fine. i hate those circle pieces too and avoid them whenever possible! I've done bears on all fours with the double jointed head (neck wedge) and didn't sew a circle piece into the body, just attached the neck as if it were the head.

I have a manufactured bear that I bought last year who has a very fat body, looooong neck and little head. He has what feels like a piece of dense foam in his long neck to keep it firm, with polyfiber all around it. You wouldn't notice it unless you were a bear artist or an engineer trying to figure out how it's made!!! I've been working on a pattern inspired by this long-necked goof ball... just haven't had the opportunity to make it yet. But the dense foam might be something to consider. Will it break down in time? Perhaps it will dry up 50-75 years from now? I don't know.

I should think flexlimb or loc-line would work too!

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

All you can do is experiment. I have made skinny necks without circles or wedges. One neck I ladder stitched it to the head and body with the joints inside as usual.  You can ....make it up as you go. bear_thumb
Wendy

Board footer