Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

WHen they ask you what you do for a living and you tell them you are a teddy bear artist.

Then they ask how much you sell your bears for.....

but THEN they ask how many you sell a week... :wacko:

But if I asked them how much money they made... they'd be offended  :whistle:

bear_grin

Nicholasville, KY
Website

bear_original  Not talking about other teddy bear artists here!!  Thought I should clarify  bear_grin  People from my hubby's office, people at parties, you know...  :dance:

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

That is a rude thing to ask!

Deb Upstate New York

Just refer them to website for sample prices.

How much a week?

"Oh it varies to be sure."
  "Bear business is good."
  "I'm sorry, I don't discuss my salary."
  "Thousands."
  "If you don't mind, I'd rather not disclose such personal information.?"
  "You tell me your salary, and I'll tell you mine."
  "I sold ___ (#) of bears last year in a wide range of prices."
  "None of your business."

Yes they would be offended.  Someone actually asked that?

PS  JG gaining on the 11th spot!  bear_grin

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

I haven't really got past the hurdle of explaining exactly what an artist bear is....  bear_wacko  :P

But yes, I agree it's rude to ask about your salary. Maybe people don't think of it as a 'proper job'? I have the suspicion that they think (when I tell them what I do) that it's a hobby and nothing more.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

When people I work with find out I make bears (it is just a hobby for now), most of them look at me like I have two heads! 

Deb, I like your responses!

Nicholasville, KY
Website

Deb wrote:

Someone actually asked that?

PS  JG gaining on the 11th spot!  :lol:

Yes, they ask ALL the time!  Good ideas Deb!  Or maybe I'll tell them they sell for $100 - $500 and up and I make 12 a week  :lol:

I'm SO glad that things are turning around for JG!  Better late than never LOL!

Go #48!

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

This is how it usually goes for me at parties, barbeques annual works dinners etc...........

"Hi! blah blah blah blah blah and what do you do for a living?"

" I make and design teddy bears"

"O really....(long pause,eyes glaze over)......anyway i have to go and see where my husband/wife has got to"

Do people think that i am enthralled by the fact that they are hairdressers-office workers-doctors etc???????

The amount of times i have managed to pretend that i'm positively entranced by the fact that they produce the packaging for 'Lil-Lets' or something similarly boring you'd think that THEY could at least pretend to be interested - the buggers!

People think you're a bit dolly dimple if you sew for a living - like you're not intelligent enough to operate the checkout at the local supermarket like them - at least i don't have any one telling what to do 5 days a week 8 hours a day and have to wear my name on my shirt so a dumb ass boss who can't tie his own shoe laces does'nt have to remember my name!!!

People are such snobs - and if someone asks me how much i earn - i DO ask them how much they earn. They don't like it ha ha ha - good!

NOSY PARKERS  :rolleyes:

Penny - on her soap box  bear_tongue

Nicholasville, KY
Website

gotobedbears wrote:

This is how it usually goes for me at parties, barbeques annual works dinners etc...........

"Hi! blah blah blah blah blah and what do you do for a living?"

" I make and design teddy bears"

"O really....(long pause,eyes glaze over)......anyway i have to go and see where my husband/wife has got to"

LOL Penny!!!!!  Love it... and good for you for asking THEIR salary if they are asking yours! :dance:

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Hehehehe Penny! It's irritating isn't it? Yes, the best defence is probably to deflect the question back...and watch them squirm!

ellen ontario, canada

*snort*  this is hilarious!  thanx for sharing ladies!  i get the glazed over eyeball thing all the time.  it's like "okay, then what do you really do?"
bear_happy

Deb Upstate New York

Ohhhh Penny ~ Don't know what I'd do without your posts at my mid afternoon check TT time!  :hug:

You know, you'd make a great personality for a Brit-com ... or an American sit-com.  Either one.  Don't you agree guys?

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

I've been in school long enough that people accept the answer 'I am a perpetual student' from me.  I have convinced my mother to answer such questions with 'I am a soft-sculpture artist', which usually confuses them enough that they don't ask follow-up questions
:lol:

Or maybe I'll tell them they sell for $100 - $500 and up and I make 12 a week

Don't tell them that!  They'll inform you that you can teach them everything you know so that they can quit their day jobs and make tons of money, too.

<sigh>
Kelly

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

No one has been that nosey..... yet!!
Thanks for the come back suggestions, Deb!
(And where is DJ88?? And why are we racing on a Tuesday? See, I don't follow NASCAR anymore!!)

Deb Upstate New York

Daphne ~ Poor DJ is currently 17th, and Dale Earnhardt Jr. is one spot below him.  Not a good year.  We're not racin' on a Tuesday; we're just catching up from Sunday.   bear_grin  Other news: The 18 (Bobby Labonte since you've been away so long) is leaving Joe Gibbs racing.  Kurt Busch will be in the #2 Miller Lite Dodge next year (so much personality on one team ... HA).  Tony Stewart is leading the chase and is packing on approximately 10 pounds each week.  (I guess he moved back home with his Mom.)  My beloved Jimmie is in 2nd, 38 points behind.  Ricky Rudd announced he's only driving one more year.  All I can remember for this update!  bear_happy

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Thanks, Deb!

You are in the wrong business! You could be on Speed Vision!   bear_laugh

Nicholasville, KY
Website

bearlyart wrote:

Don't tell them that!  They'll inform you that you can teach them everything you know so that they can quit their day jobs and make tons of money, too.

<sigh>
Kelly

LOL!!  THat's OK!  My consultation fee is $25,000!   bear_grin

Nicholasville, KY
Website

Daphne wrote:

Thanks, Deb!

You are in the wrong business! You could be on Speed Vision!   :D

LOL!!!  Yes, thanks!!   bear_grin

Dilu Posts: 8,574

When people ask me questions that are none of their business I smile, ever so sweetly, pat them on the hand or arm and say;

" That's ok dear,it's really not your fault, your mother didn't teach you not to ask such personal questions,  But I wont tell if you wont."

And then I laugh like it's a great big joke.

I don't USUALLY have to go any further. 

You might be thinking that I wont have an opportunity to be friends with this noseyrosey.  Well, honeygirls, I wouldn't  WANT  to be friends with them if they start off an acquaintance with those kind of questions.  :lol:

If they persist I start with;

1.  How far back in your family does feeblemindedness go?
2.  Did you know that there are medications that can help with your problem?
3.  Your mother must be so proud of you,

That last one has always been a clincher and I never have to go any farther.

Before I was a psych nurse people like that flustered me, because girls in my age bracket were raised to try and people please

But you know, sometimes it just doesn't pay to people please.  Because folks like that will not honor your privacy, will gossip and tell all to the next person they see etc.  So if they are going to talk about me, I want to be sure to give them something interesting.

I'm going down but not without a really good laugh!

bear_tongue

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

LMAO - Dilu, you are silly... I like your responses!   bear_laugh

Deb Upstate New York
Dilu wrote:

" That's ok dear,it's really not your fault, your mother didn't teach you not to ask such personal questions,  But I wont tell if you wont."

I love it!  But please dear Lord, don't let my children ever ask such stupid questions ... I've already had to chalk a couple things up to bad upbringing and have a complex.  (Hey we only get one chance to parent ... it's a practice.)
:pray:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

One of my fave comebacks for "missing sensitivity chip" moments like these comes from my number one favorite movie of all time, FRENCH KISS, in which Meg Ryan quips to Kevin Kline,

"You know, RUDE and INTERESTING are not the same thing."

PS  People give me a hard time about bearmaking as a "job" all the time.  And once their eyes pop wide open, upon hearing about how well some bear artists do in this industry, they inevitably ruin what could have been a validating moment by saying, "Wow.  Interesting.  But WHY ON EARTH would someone would pay that much money for a teddy bear/stuffed animal/toy???"

Inevitably, these are the very same people wearing $300 Prada shoes or driving $80,000 German luxury cars, when a $35 pair of Nine Wests from TJMAXX, or a Honda CIVIC, would serve those purposes just as well!

Mark Mark's Bears
Albuquerque, NM

Try being a guy and tell them your a bear maker/artist.   bear_laugh  It is fun to see their reactions.  At that point they usually forget to ask how much my bears cost and how much I make.  If they do ask they are very suprised at the cost of collector bears and I have to explain the cost and time I put into each bear.  I am not certain I convince everybody I talk to about those details.

Since I'm still sorting out what and how to make my bears I still consider myself a bear maker with aspirations of becoming an artist.

Happy bear trails,

Mark

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Ahhhh Mark that was a post before you joined,.....we decided we were makers, creators, architect, sewer-jointer-stuffers, producers......I can't remember all the euphemisms we came up with to avoid the 'artist' moniker- it is hard for some of us who, like you , haven't been at it all that long. 

I think we feel a little presumptious calling ourselves artists when we haven't been at it long.....perhaps.....

At any rate if you come up with some new names be sure to share.....

Dilu

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan
Dilu wrote:

I'm glad that I never ask such
question to anyone yet !  :doh:
Dilu, you are so funny but I
agree to you.   :hug:

Teddy Bear in Japan is famous
enough(I think...) only for who know about Teddy Bears
but most of the people around
me didn't know What is Teddy bear and how it's not same with is Stuffed animals... 
I think it is my JOB to teach them
(if they ask) and I have at least
3stories about Teddy Bear but
scary part is I usually CRY   bear_cry when I start talk about bears I get too emotional  :redface: and when people see me crying, they start to cry with me.
Hahahahahahahaha  :P

If anyone ask me rude question
I'll just keep smiling and pretend that I didn't hear anything.  :o

Hi Mark, your avatar bear is cute !!!
I like his big foot .  :love:
Hugs/Marie

Board footer