Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

wazzabears Wazza Bears Australia
Bulli

My poor 14 yr old daughter Annalise. She had a frighting experience today walking home from school. On the sort of main road near our house there is a huge vacant land. She was walking and 2 cars, 1 a ute and the other a panel van droving slowly passed her and the men in the car smiling at her. They stopped about 5 metres in front of her and where watching her. They were late 20s early 30s. 2 men in each car. 1 was an aboriginal and the others were very scruffy looking. She crossed the road and got her phone out to ring me. When she rang, you could tell in her voice she was scared. But as she spoke to me they took off. When she got home I made her write done all the details and we went to the police station. They said she done the right thing and very glad she reported it. They also said to let the school know so they can advise the students of safety when walking home. They said when the people saw the phone and she made a call, they usually drive off. But for next time to maybe write the rego num of the cars in the dirt with her toe. The police were great and rang a bit later tonight to ask her further questions.
The poor kids these days, they just have to be so much more careful than we had to be.
I would normally pick her up most days but my motor in my car blew up 2 weeks ago and is going to cost $$$$$ to get fix. So I am going to walk to the main road and watch her walk home.

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

That must have been scary but she certainly did the right thing!

I can remember the same thing happening to me a couple of times however and that was over 45 years ago! Unfortuantely this is not a new thing.

Marion

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  Big hugs to your daughter!  She went through a really stressful experience, but had the presence of mind to do exactly the right thing . . . bravo for her!

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Peta,
     Thank goodness your daughter is okay, even thought she's been frightened a little.  It will make her be even more aware in the future and that's a good thing.

Marion,  I agree - I think most of us have one frightening experience we remember.   This is one time that cell phones are a real safety factor!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

There have always been and will always be creepy people on this earth who are up to no good. It's up to the rest of us to realize this, be alert (without driving ourselves crazy of course.... I knew someone who was followed home from work once and for months thought that everyone was out to get her... she had to get professional help... so going to that extreme isn't healthy) but we need to be aware and know what to do. Peta, your daughter did the right thing! Very smart girl! Writing the license plate number in the sand if it happens again... what a great idea!

I'm so glad she is ok!!  :hug:

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Peta I am sending big hugs  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  to Annalise. She was, although scared a very brave young lady. Take care Annalise!

Hugs, Jane.   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Roxanne Bear Paws by Roxanne
Odessa, Tx

Bless her heart  :hug:  :hug: 
I bet that was frightening for her, but it sounds as if she was very brave and very informed on what to do....
kudo's to you and your girl.  bear_thumb  bear_flower  :hug:

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

How awful for poor Annalise.  What a brilliant young lady for keeping her head and dealing so well with the situation.  I am glad the police took it all seriously and have acted upon it.  Give her a big hug from us all.

minkbears Vintage Mink Bears by Kathy Myers
Lakewood CA
Website

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

We here on TT are obviously very proud of Annalise (beautiful name!)...that she had the presence of mind to call you (one of the great things about cell phones). You have raised a very mature and intelligent young woman.

Of course, you have to be very careful too when you walk to meet her....do you have a big (possibly "mean looking") dog to walk with you?

:hug:
Kathy

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

how aweful. :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Carolynn Teenytinyteddybears

How horrible, but what a sensible young lady. Pleased she is safe and has also possibly prevented anything happening to other girls. There are merits to cell phones. At least she could contact you. Good luck. Although I would suspect they have moved on. Bullies like that are normally cowards too.

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Oh gosh, thank goodness she is safe!  One good thing will come of it, she will be more vigilant and wary int he future!

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I am so glad that the situation didn't get played out the way the 'men' and I use the term loosely had in mind.
Your daughter had the clear presence of mind to keep her self safe. That takes intelligence.
Today I learnt something..... It never occurred to me to write the number in the 'dirt' Duh... something so simple... bear_thumb

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Yes she did the right thing, I'm so glad she is ok  :hug:

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

So glad that your daughter is ok Peta. bear_flower
Thank goodness for cell phones.

It is really terrible to think there are undesirables out there who prey on other people.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

wazzabears Wazza Bears Australia
Bulli

Thanks guys for your messages I will pass them on to Annalise.
She is a very good kid. Very responsible in every way. I know I can let her go out with friends and know she won't get into trouble. But its the crazy people out there. We have had a few incidents at the shopping centre with kids and she wonders why I don't like her going there. I advise the school and the head rang just earlier to say he appreciates the info and will advise students of suspects cars etc.
Its also a bit scaring seeing a aboriginal in the car too. We have a gang here in Adelaide, they are called gang 49 by the police, all aboriginal and they have been terrorising Adelaide. My poor cousin was caught up by them not long ago. She was walking to her car after work and they tried to hijack the car, she got in and locked the door and they just started to jump on the car and kick it. she rang her boss while in the car. Its so scary. Aboriginals are  really lovely people but with this group people are scared of them.
Kathy I do have 2 dogs. 1 is 15 and blind so she wouldn't help lol, but my mini dachshund he is a small parcel but he attacks our visitors that come over, so I might take him. LOL
Thanks so much for your support, I am so glad it wasn't taken further and she is safe

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Peta,

I'm so glad your precious Annalise had the presence of mind to use her cell phone! And I hope these scummy dudes are caught and prosecuted.

My daughter was grabbed by a pervert in the park at age 12, when she and a friend were walking there. The girls screamed and ran for all they were worth, lost their shoes, but were saved by a jogger who took them to a phone to call the police. My daughter is fine now, but for years she was afraid to go into the park, even with me.

The same man kept lurking in the park and approaching girls on their way home from school. I alerted everyone I could think of, especially those who spent time in the park. He was finally caught by a group of dog-walkers who  held him for the police.

You would not believe how many Moms showed more sympathy for the "poor disturbed man" than for the girls he molested!

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Oh geez, Peta....you poor girls....hugs hugs hugs....thanks to kids having mobile phones!!!!  I'm just so glad she is okay....

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

How very scary for your daughter Peta!  You certainly are doing an excellent job raising her since Annalise had the presence of mind to use her cell phone.

HUGE hugs to you both!!!!  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

BRAVO FOR ANNALISE!  What a brave young lady you have there-keeping her head about her and crossing the street and calling you.  smart cookie!

And good for you, MOM, watching out for her from now on.... bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

Sometimes, for beautiful 14 year old young ladies, the world is a very scary place.

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

BRAVO to Annalise for her clear thinking!!!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:   As noted by others, this is sadly not a new experience, and I'm so very, very glad she had the presence of mind to take down license numbers and get the whole thing reported to the police.  That's one clever girl  bear_thumb

I can remember back in 1984 (eep that sounds ages ago!!) being given all sorts of basic safety classes and self defense classes for PE.  I was so very glad to have them because you never know when they might come in handy, young female or male.  There's just some very not nice people in the world. 

The Dachsie might very well prove his worth!  I find barking dogs do tend to intimidate a lot of people.  Even if you like dogs, a barking dog....well, there's always something instinctive that makes you pull back and wonder if they're keen or just wagging their tail because they're happy at the thought of taking your hand off at the wrist.   bear_laugh

Cat Gabriel Cat Gabriel Crafts
Melbourne, Australia

I'm so glad your daughter is ok.....  I've been followed a few times, it's frightening.

Board footer