Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Deb Upstate New York

I saw a picture of a bear on one of the topics today.  I can't at the moment recall who posted it, BUT they said they tried some needlescupting as Kim (WildThyme) had suggested.  So I go searching for Kim's post on sculpting in the mouth area (and I can't find it btw), and now I can't find the post with the bear that triggered the search to begin with.  Arrrggghhhh!  If anyone can just point me back in the direction of the home, I'd be most appreciative.  Seriously, did anyone see that bear?

An oldie but goodie follows.  (I have it now, so it's not quite as funny as it used to be, however.)

I have recently been diagnosed with AAADD  …  Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder. 

This is how it goes:

I decide to wash the car.  I start toward the garage and notice the mail on the table.  Okay, I'm going to wash the car.  But first I'm going to go through the mail.  I lay the car keys down on the desk, discard the junk mail and I notice the trash can is full.  Okay, I'll just put the bills on my desk and take the trash can out, but since I'm going to be near the mailbox anyway, I'll pay these few bills first.

Now, where is my checkbook?  Oops, there's only one check left. My extra checks are in my desk.

Oh, there's the coke I was drinking. I'm going to look for those checks.  But first I need to put my coke further away from the computer.  Oh maybe I'll pop it into the fridge to keep it cold for a while.  I head towards the kitchen and my flowers catch my eye; they need some water.  I set the coke on the counter and uh oh!  There are my glasses.  I was looking for them all morning!  I'd better put them away first.  I fill a container with water and head for the flower pots.

Someone left the TV remote in the kitchen.  We'll never think to look in the kitchen tonight when we want to watch television so I'd better put it back in the family room where it belongs.  I splash some water into the pots and onto the floor, I throw the remote onto a soft cushion on the sofa and I head back down the hall trying to figure out what it was I was going to do.

At the end of the day:

The car isn't washed, the bills are unpaid, the coke is sitting on the kitchen counter, the flowers are half watered, the checkbook still only has one check in it and I can't seem to find my car keys!  When I try to figure out how come nothing got done today, I'm baffled because I know I was busy all day long.  I realize this is a serious condition and I'll get help, but first I think I'll check my e-mail.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

OMIGAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is so me... every day! All the time!! Right now in fact! It's mid afternoon and I've accomplished nothing, still in sweats!! (OK, I'm still sick so I have an excuse there!).

I've been wondering if there truly is a problem with me!!!

Thank you for the diagnosis, Deb. (Saved me a trip to the doctors!)

Only one question..... at what age does this start? I'm only 35!

Daphne

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

you know what Deb.... I haven't run across the bear you are talking about either... But I'm still not done popping around here for the day... so maybe I'll find it!  But... I don't think that I've ever actually posted anything on the board regarding how I do mouths anyway... I do them differently all the time, because I haven't really gotten the whole thing down to an in at one out at two in at three type of technique anyway.  When it comes to thread sculpting, I just look to see where I want an area to be dented in, and then look for another point on the head where I want to connect it to!  Hows that for a rocket science description!  With mouths, sometimes I go out the chin, or out at the rear neck near the disk.... sometimes even out through the spot where I am going to attach the ears.  For me it's a really inexact science that often results in happy accidents! 

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Deb Upstate New York

Daphne ~
I'm 48 and have been afflicted for several years already.  You probably have it.   :hug:

Kim ~
I SWEAR there is such a post (unless it's been deleted).  Thanks for the mini SOP.  :dance:

Hudson, Ohio

Deb... I looked and looked, and I even tried the search function... I can't find a bear that's not mine but mentions my mouths... I looked and looked Deb!  Maybe someone will run across it!???
And I just LOVE the little description of the AAADD... I definitely have that!  My channel changer has actually wound up in the fridge before, and a juice box on the coffee table where the channel changer is supposed to be-- there are NO juice boxes allowed in the family room!  Oh, I should have known there was a problem!   It aggravates my husband to no end.  He is one of those "a place for everything and everything in it's place" people.  Wish I was one of those!  Now every time the channel changer goes missing, first we look under the couch cushions, then under the coffee table, then when we are desperate the refrigerator!!!! Yes, it only has happened that once, but once it's happened, you can't be too sure that it won't happen again!   :doh: 
And I did put the "My Pretty Pony" size 4T panties in my husband's underwear drawer once.  His big old boxers were in Miranda's drawer.

Beary truly yours,
Kim basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Hudson, Ohio

Deb... I don't know what SOP means?  help! 
And I read through my non-technique technique post... and I should clarify... When I look for the area where the "exit" stitch will be, I try to make it an area that I want to dent in as well.... you can get some pretty cute head shapes when you sculpt through to the area where the top of the ear meets the head.

Beary truly yours,
Kim basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Deb Upstate New York

SOP = Standard Operating Procedure

Sorry about that.  I used to write SOPs in a manufacturing plant.  They had to be idiot proof basically, with 12 sections ... Purpose, Equipment, Materials, Setup, Operation, Maintenance, Shutdown, Safety, Troubleshooting, Spare Parts, Illustrations, Checklist. 

BLECHT!

Hudson, Ohio

"SOP"  Ahhhh!  Thanks for clarifying that for me Deb.... Hey, are you sure that it was me that they referenced?  Maybe it was someone else, and that's why we can't find it?

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Deb Upstate New York

LOL ... not much I'm sure of these days Kim, but WildThyme was typed as two words.  I am POSITIVE I saw the post.  They said something like I'm trying out sculpting suggestions by Kim (Wild Thyme) so here is how it turned out .... or something like that.  I AM NOT NUTS!
bear_grin

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

You are not nuts...I've seen it too...and now you've got me looking for it... bear_grin  bear_grin

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon
starlite Starlite Bears
Renfrew,Scotland

Hello,
Guilty  :redface:
It was me :redface:
I said that about my little Rowan who is on ebay this week - because - in another post - now I can't remember when  :doh: ( I have AAADD too it would seem - I just identified it with this thread  :dance: I did wonder what it was!!)
Anyway a while back I was admiring one of Kims soo soo wonderful bears and she said she sculpted  mouths I should give it a try - so I got around to it with this little bear and I thought I should acknowledge where the original idea/suggestion came from - sorry to mislead :redface:
I just sort of took the concept and extrapolated it to the best of my ability - not so good but I will try again!!
I would love lessons but - I have not found any in print - with diagrams!!

So Deb and Kim and any others I am again so sorry if I caused wasted time searching for the lessons/tips - that I had implied
Sorry did not mean to waste anyones time :(
:hug: :hug:
Anne

Deb Upstate New York

I love you Shantell ~ I feel sooooooooo much better.  See Kim ... told ya.  bear_grin

Deb Upstate New York

He's very nice Anne.  That was to be my next step ... going back to post on Rowan ... but I couldn't freakin' find him either!  Ugh!

Probably just the two of us searching and getting lost in the woods!  We're all good now though.  Thanks to you ... and of course to Shantell who we nearly dragged in to our problem.  bear_flower

Hudson, Ohio

Oh he's a cutie Anne!!!!  Gorgeous little thing!   I think his mouth is just perfect!  Glad that you decided to give it a try... Now that my memory has been refreshed, I do remember chatting with you about mouths.  That was super sweet of you to mention me, but you should never feel like you have to at all!  If I share something it's becasue I want folks to try it!  I'm so glad you did....   Rowan looks great and I LOVE the name!  You weren't wasting anyone's time!!!  Deb and I just got a bit lost!

Deb.... I never doubted your sanity,   bear_grin   though I do always question mine... keeps me on my toes!   :wacko:

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

AAADD Wow DEB at last my condition has been diagnosed! Yippee doodle do! Yay!
I've got a diagnosis.......ummmmmmmmmmm remind me please what are we talking about....now where's the TV remote.......oh, yes I need to........oh what was it.... what's all this on the computer screen..................
:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Jane

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

deb having worked in manufacturing for 25 yrs..i find you left out one part of SOP..that after drumming it into you it is thrown out on every possible occassion! :):):):):)!  we have " one piece flow "" now!  meaning we never build beyond one complete piece..only we are always short on parts..so,,we build like crazy at the end of the month..and when we get that one piece we're missing the work really flows!!   Then there was the "just in Time " theory,,  i like bears sooo much better!!   lol:lol:  deb

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Deb, I believe I have that to...which would explain my scatter-brain days.

According to the Medical Diagnositc Code Book used by doctors...I have almost all the symptoms of ADD.  It's not a terrible thing to have but it can leave you very scattered and frustrated at times......

I go to do a load of laundry and notice the kitty litter box needs to be cleaned...on the way back up stairs to get the scoop and bucket I notice some dishes in the sink...I really need to clean that pan...but I glance at the micro wave and decide to have a cup of tea...while the micro wave heats up the water.........now wheres that bill I had to pay....I look through some dawers and decide there is too much to look through and close the drawer....I see the broken tractor that my sone has asked me to fix so I go inhto my workshop to get some glue...while I am ther I decide to paint some eyes.............

The only thing I can really stay on task with is art...good thing I have such a level-headed-always-stays-on-task husband.

I wonder if many artist are like this.......

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Oh, Judi, I think it IS an artist thing. We think in a creative, abstract sense and therefoe function that way. Our minds are always preoccupied with ideas, other things to be done, etc. and that allows for just about anything else to creep in there too! We are for ever distracted, detatched from the task at hand!

Now, hubby is a manufacturing engineer. Very focused, does one thing at a time, in it's entirety (sp?) and then some. When he's done the task he walks away still thinking about it so forgets to clean up the mess he made!  :doh:

So, either way has it's disadvantages.

Look at it this way: we can say we WORKED on: The laundry, ironing, going thru the stack of old magazines, emptying the dishwasher, the liter box, dusting, paying bills, finding the car keys.............. Don't have to say we DID them but  boy, doesn't it sound impressive that we WORKED on so much!???  :D

Daphne

Deb Upstate New York
Judi wrote:

I wonder if many artist are like this.......

Absolutely!  About a year ago I started blocking myself into the room I was cleaning when doing housework.  More often than not, my distraction comes from a spark ... like hey, i wonder if this would work for that?  And my intention is usually only just to TRY something ... you know ... quick like to see how it goes.  Four hours later ....

I know that a couple weeks ago my husband left the house to run some errands while I was cleaning the bedroom closet.  An hour later he returned and I was in the hall with some wood filler and a dremel tool and sander fixing a spot in the woodwork that the dog had chewed up.  It just works that way.

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

I have a new diagnosis! My daughter sarah says I am suffering from CIADD

Anyone else suffer from this?

Computer  Induced  Attention  Deficit  Disorder

I'm sure I don't know what she means.  bear_rolleyes bear_rolleyes bear_rolleyes

Jane  bear_original

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

You all crack me up ! I thought mine was getting really bad...well it is...LOL ........but thats why I make lists !
I just have to remember where they are,.....and if I cant find one I just make another one up ....Do I forget what to put on a list ? No...I take it evrywhere with me, even into the bathroom when I clean up in the morning as I can think better in there for some reason..or is it because I cant stand being hemmed in to  thinking  of only one thing at a time like ... OK  brush your teeth now ...how boring!  I must just like being muddle minded.
Like my husband says;  At my age I  dont forget everything , its called" selective thinking ".

Oh, Oh..I just got a great idea ! Stick the list onto the frig. with a magnet ! I must admit I am at times brilliant !....Winney

Board footer