Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Sandi...Your avator bear is just adorable ! What kind of yarn did you use to make him?

I wish you had a web site...I'd love to see more of your bears....Winney

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

She used angora and the bear is on ebay. I love him too.

Sorry, Sandi, perhaps I should have waited for you to answer this.  :redface:

Sabine

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Oh, Sabine, that's quite all right!

I just hopped on to TT and saw this post. I know there's another Sandi on here so I thought surely not me!
Yes, Rusty, is angora. That's pretty much all I use for the crochet bears. My fiancee and I used to share a website, but we had some trouble and have to get a new one. I'll keep you posted.

Sabine-I've been meaning to email you. In my new member post you said something about yahoo groups. I don't know them...so please feel free.

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Sandi,
  If I'm not mistaken, I think I already gushed about this little guy in another post... but hey, he deserves another little gush!  I simply love his expression.  Love the fancy eyes, LOVE the way that his mouth is sculpted just so!  Its been a couple of years since I made a thread bear... but he really makes me want to try it again!  Oh... that SOFT angora!

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

mingmei.jpgamelia4.jpgSince I don't a website, I'll share a couple pics of my last couple bears. They are quite different as I hadn't found TT and all the great tips until I was making this latest bear. He was the first one that I tried the sculpting on. Anyway, I don't get to make too many bears as I have a little girl running around the house all day.

Hudson, Ohio

I love these Sandi!  Again, that angora is just delicious! 

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

natalia2.jpgAnd she's the reason I'm not making bears all day long.   bear_wub

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I'd be playing with her instead, too.

I love the panda, especially.  I can't do anything in the knitting/crocheting realm.  <sigh>

Hudson, Ohio

Oh Sandi!  Your daughter is simply precious!  By far your best work of art yet!   bear_grin  Look at the way she sheepishly peeks from behind that pale blond hair!  She looks like a little pixie! 

Baery truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Sandi

I just love your panda...it is sooo cute.

Your daughter is adorable too!

White City, Oregon

Beautiful daughter Sandi..She looks a little impish, hee, hee.

The bears are precious, I have been diddling around with thread bears lately ...Id love to do an angora one but it is soooo expensive .

Dilu gave us a great  tip...go to the 2nd hand store and look for sweaters for the yarn. I believe she soaks the sweater in liquid softner , squishes it a bit thru  then unravels the yarn. Maybe Dilu can clarify this for us ????? Yoohooooo Dilu !!!!

Oh , Sandi...do you crochet the angora along with a strand of baby yarn ?... Winney

Winney-
I thought of the sweater thing too, just haven't done it yet.  There are a couple sweaters in my closet that would make nice bears.  bear_grin All of my angora has come from ebay when I can get a good deal on it. I don't have any stores around me that carry it so ebay is my best option.

What I usually do is split the plies. Most of my yarns have 3 plies, so it's like 3 for the price of one. And once you do that the cost sure does go down. And once you get to the smaller thickness of one ply, you can use smaller hooks. If I use just a single ply, then I can get three minis out of one ball of yarn. Not too bad. I have to admit that splittling the plies is very time consuming and not at all fun! For the guy in my avatar I used a 2-ply yarn and #6 hook, so he's bigger and furrier than the other ones. I don't put anything with the angora, but I do have to be careful because once the yarn is split it loses a lot strength and can break.

Good luck with your bears. If I can help with anything else, let me know.

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Hi Sandi,

Your little daughter is so gorgeous and sweet.
Just love your Bears also, thaks for sharing your photos with us.

I knitted a soft pink angora cardi a while back and it is fabulous wool, isn't it.

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Sandi your bears are wonderful, and your daughter is simply gorgeous.  :clap:

White City, Oregon

Sandi...I thought Angora was rabbit fur ?....He is such a softie cute little guy, thanks for sharing.

It is hard to find an angora sweater at the 2nd hand store. I can find mixed yarn sweaters, just bought a gray one that has 56% Nylon, 40% Angora, and  4 % Lambswool . Its fuzzy enough and soft , gray would make a nice bunny. This yarn is very fine so I will probably need to work at leats 2 strands together..... Winney

Winney- angora is rabbit fur. Did I say something misleading?? 

Good luck on your bear or bunny. Show some pics when you're done!

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Sandie - your daughter is too beautiful for words but,.......

does she take after her mum???????

Let's have a look at yer Sandie - i bet you are drop dead gorgeous girl  :thumbsup:

Penny - ooooooooh nearly forgot..... i think the bear is pretty super too, i love knitting with the fluffy wools they give such a great volume to small pieces don't they?

Thanks so much Penny! She's my sweet little angel...most of the time! Well, most people think she looks like me. A few can see her daddy in some features.

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Winney, on ebay some people offer angora yarn, but when you look at the listing it says angora goat, which I believe is mohair. Don't fall for that.

I've used angora for accents on knitted sweaters, but I have never been able to unravel angora. The fluff just felts together when I pull on the thread. How are you unravelling a whole used sweater?

Sabine

Board footer