Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

kimboycethomas Posts: 25

I did not think this could be done, but I recently saw a bear with a waxed/felted nose.  It does not appear to have embroidary stitching done over the needlefelting either.  Has anyone tried it?  Any suggestions?

Kim T

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I wax my needle felted noses all the time,  I have a bear on ebay now you can get a good look at his nose,  all the avatar bears noses are felted.  It is not an easy task,  I use a kitska  If you would like more details and pictures of a kitska let me know I will post them.  ps.  I probably spend about an hour or so per nose
Joanne

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Joanne- please post pictures and give details
Hugs
Gail :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Bloomsburg, PA

IMG_0184small.jpgsmall1.jpgThis is what I use to wax noses,  A kitska is a tool used to make Ukrainian eggs,  (I couldn't resist posting a picture of mine)  it is a brass funnel on a stick.  Before I begin let me say I have tried doing it without the kitska, by brushing on the melted wax.  Pure bee's wax has a high melting point, when I melted it first and then tried to brush it, it cooled too fast.  The kitska keeps the wax very hot and liquid. 
First I seal the nose with an a paint sealer,  I use Delta all purpose sealer, its like a clear gesso,  this hardens the nose and makes it easier to work with.    I heat the kitska over a flame.  Then I use the barrel to scoop out some wax, as you can see the flame blackens the barrel, which in turn will blacken the wax.  Then I put the kitska over the flame again to melt the wax inside.   I then apply the wax to the bears nose.  I do this in layers till I don't see the fuzz of the felting any more, but it is not smooth.  I then heat my little scissors over the flame and use them to smooth the wax.  Last after it is good and hard,  I use a popsicle stick that has the finest grit wet/ dry  sandpaper glued to it to buff it, I buff it dry not wet.   There are 3 sizes of kitskas I use all 3.  I also use it to make their mouths.  The needle is there to unclog the kitska.

A word of caution.  kitskas can drip, hot black wax on anything is almost impossible to remove.  I keep a paper towel handy to wipe the tool.

You can purchase kitskas and wax from the Ukraninian gift shop   www.ukrainiangiftshop.com  They sell 2 different kinds,  I would only use a Delrin,  The traditional kitskas drip too much.  Price $4.75 for kitska  $1.10 for a block of bee's wax.

If you have questions, ask I will help if I can.  I don't know anyone else who waxes felted noses.
Joanne

kimboycethomas Posts: 25

Joanne,

Thank you for sharing your method and being so helpful with the pictures and everything.  Your bear on Ebay is stunning...you are a truly gifted bear maker!  I have been trying to figure out a method for this for some time.  I love to needlefelt and hate to embroider.  You are extremely generous to share your method.  Thank you so much!

Kim T

Bloomsburg, PA

You are quite welcome, glad I could help.  Thanks for the compliment on my work

Joanne

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

That is really interesting. Not sure that I could do that looks serioulsy dangerous. Me Wax Fire, not the best idea :crackup:  :crackup:

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

WOW Joanne!!  Your eggs are spectacular!!!!!  bear_wub

Board footer