Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

johnson_s9.jpgbear_flower Happy Saturday, All!  :hug:

The Hubs remarked that it would be rather neat to make a Dr. Samuel Johnson Bear, ha, ha, so I thought I'd make him one for Christmas. Which solves one problem, because he's impossible to buy for.

The remaining problem is that although Johnson was definitely a  bear_angry of a man, it's not going to be easy to capture him in mohair/fur. I see the eyes and jowls and beaky nose, but I'm clueless about the rest.

Ideas, anyone?  :/

I can post more pix if anyone needs to see more of Johnson's face or figure!

Eileen

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Yikes! Best of luck Eileen. I haven't the foggiest idea how to approach that one.
  :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Jane  bear_innocent

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Happy Saturday!

Hmm, this is a tricky one! The hair is prominent...so perhaps a wig, or some longer mohair on the head? A white collar round the neck? And perhaps a mini English Dictionary for your Johnson bear to browse.....! Or a book of Shakespeare (didn't he have something to do with Shakespeare's plays?).

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Heres a good site
http://www.lichfield.gov.uk/sjmuseum/

Litchfield is'nt too far from me and I have been many times. Helena has some good ideas.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_flower Thanks, ladies!  :hug:

bear_original Amanda, I've seen Johnson's house, just once. The garret where he worked on the dictionary is wonderful!

bear_original Great ideas, Helena! I think the SJ bear willl definitely wear a wig. Johnson did! I've got a lot of white roving which ought to work. I also want to clothe him in the brown suit that shows in Reynolds' portrait. It's the face that will be the hardest, I think! Johnson did publish a famous edition of Shakespeare's plays--the notes are a strange combination of off-center and amazingly insightful. I never though of posing him with the Dictionary--thanks for a great idea!!

bear_original Jane, I'm still in a fog, but it's lighter.

Eileen

Pipa UK

Ooo good luck Eileen. he certainly looks like a challenge hehe !! do show us the results when you finish him bear_original

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Ditto what everyone else has suggested Eileen but don't forget a GROWLER !!!! Old Johnson sounds as if he was a bit of a grump so try and get a really good low growly one.

Penny  :dance:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_flower :hug: Penny, you're brilliant!! A Growler is exactly what he needs!  bear_flower :hug:

I'll be posting the result for sure, Pipa . . . better get going  :whistle:

Eileen

AnnG Childhood Treasures
Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA

Hi Eileen
After a little google searching, I found a photo of him wearing a deep red coat, you know the kind pirates wore with the square flaps around the bottom. I think a jacket like that with a lace jabot around his neck and the big hair, like the white powdered wigs judges wear. A copy of his dictionary or a little book with a few of his quotes in it would be nice. I guess his was too poor or too proud to wear glasses. It appears he badly needed them. Maybe he had a pair and just didn't want people to know. Glasses are an option. It all depends how crazy you want to go.
Good luck
AnnG.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

hhhhhmmmmm...Eileen...WHat about making him from curly lamb, or...better yet,  combining different mohair textures.  Short beige for his body and limbs with white curly mohair for the top of his head.  THEN...you could needle felt his face to cpature any expression you want.   bear_thumb Love the red cost and growler idea too.

Let us know how it goes.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

:dance: :hug: Thanks, Judi and Anne!

Great ideas! Johnson always had trouble with his eyes . . . I don't know if he ever wore glasses, but I've never seen them in any of his portraits. Johnson wouldn't look like Johnson without the squint!

I love the idea of using different types of mohair . . . could this be an excuse to add to my stash? Hmmm. I think I'll stick with brown for the coat, since (according to Boswell) it's what he usually wore, but it's about the same style as the pirate's--big and flappy, like the man himself. In his later years he suffered from St. Vitus Dance, which must have been something to see!

I'm thinking that if Hubs likes his bear, and HE WILL, I won't have such a hard time of it when the Visa bill comes every month.  bear_whistle

Eileen

Pipa UK

Can't wait Eileen :)

penny - FAb idea for the growler!!!!!!!

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Good luck with your challenge Eileen. I am sure that your husband will be very happy with
his Christmas present. Please show us the photo when you have finished.

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

Boy what a challenge you have cant wait to see it .

Board footer