Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

White Forest White Forest Bears
Southern California

newpup005.jpgnewpup001.jpgHello!

Jack and I adopted a puppy from our local shelter 3 days ago.   He is only 5 months old, and is already at least 70 pounds.  He's super loveable and nice, and I hope one of these days he'll be able to get along with our 2 cats!  He is housebroken, which is great, and I taught him how to shake yesterday.  He is really smart.

We haven't decided on a name yet.  Lisa from Oz Matilda gave me the name Ozzie, and I've been calling him that.  His name from the shelter and in foster care was Nikki, and I'm thinking he knows that name, but I don't really like it.

We think he is a an Anatolian Shepherd and maybe a Great Dane mix?  I think he's got other breeds as well.  He's my big Pound Puppy Mutt!

I put more pics of him on my blog.

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Awww, I LOVE Ozzie!  We changed our shelter dog's name from Sage to Charlie, and she picked it up very quickly!  Ozzie definitely looks like an Anatolian Sheperd mix of some sort... He's handsome, at any rate!!

russellbears Russell Bears
Perth
Website

Ohh, he is beautiful, I soo love big dogs bear_wub  bear_wub He sure does look intelligent, just look into those eyes, they are captivating!! Lucky you and lucky him, I like the name "Ozzie" too bear_thumb

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Beautiful pup!!!

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Erin: your new puppy is so sweet!!! bear_wub  bear_wub  I like the name Ozzie. Why not? If you don't like Nikii, change it. He's yours now and he'll get use to his new name. Have many, many years of fun with him.

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

What a sweet pup! Glad you are giving him a loving home!

OzMatilda Posts: 209

yeah, you could put a little babe on his back and take them on a horsey ride..i can't believe his only 5 months...imagine when his fully grown! his gonna be HUGE (lol)...I didn't know his name in the Shelter was Nikki..see that's telling you something, his defintatly not a Nikki.....i have Nikoli...so you need the other name of Ozzie..(lol)....

My first God-Doggie...Ozzie, Ozzie, Ozzie, oi, oi, oi...as we say Down Under...His absolutely Beautiful...and i'm so happy you & Jack have him... bear_wub

Southern California

Thanks everyone!

Yep for sure Lisa! lol.  I keep singing that to him, and he keeps looking at me like I'm totally crazy.  So he's already learned I'm nuts.  That's a good thing.

I might get doggie DNA testing done on him to see what exactly he is.  There are several companies that do it.  Could be interesting!  And it's around $80-$90, so I think that's pretty good.

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

He's beautiful Erin!! Looks very smart too. Should be an easy dog to train.  :clap:
Good luck to you!
Hugs,
Cyndee

OzMatilda Posts: 209

Well...his aunty Down Under is nuts too..so he fits in very with the family (lol)... :crackup:

Probably a good thing to find out what breed his mixed with...he does though look very much like that photo you sent me of the one you think he is .....his beautiful...and i'm just so excited for ya after all this time with pussy's you now have a doggie too... bear_thumb

Welcome to TT Cyndee...  bear_flower

Murrieta, California

Thanks Lisa.  bear_original

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

WOW he's a splendid looking beast.  bear_thumb We know what he's going to be when he grows up?..........
.............A Clydesdale :crackup:

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Wow Erin that's one big puppy dog and what a beautiful boy he is, he looks like he's going to keep you busy, have fun.

Hugs, Jane.  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

puca bears puca bears

He's beautiful , Erin - and don't worry - your cats will soon get used to him! I wish you lots of joy with your new boy
huggies
Maria

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Erin, this puppy is beautiful and full of grace... no doubt he will be gorgeous when adult.
Enjoy him!

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Southern California

Thanks everyone!

He's hanging out in my studio right now.  Hopefully I can get some work done today.  Yesterday he was really hyper, so I spent most of the day going "no! stop it! sit down!" lol.

Southern California
Bubble-Up Bears wrote:

He's beautiful Erin!! Looks very smart too. Should be an easy dog to train.  :clap:
Good luck to you!
Hugs,
Cyndee

Thanks Cyndee!  Maybe when he's a little better at behaving himself he can meet you and your sweet Yorkie!   bear_thumb

(Cyndee and I live very close to each other, which I just discovered.  How cool to have a TT'er so nearby!)  :clap:

DebbieD Posts: 3,540
White Forest wrote:

Thanks everyone!

He's hanging out in my studio right now.  Hopefully I can get some work done today.  Yesterday he was really hyper, so I spent most of the day going "no! stop it! sit down!" lol.

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:   Ahhhhh, the joys of puppyhood!  bear_wub   He knows eventually you'll give in, quit being so 'boring' and will take him for a walk or play ball  bear_laugh   

What a handsome boy, and I'm another who thinks Ozzie really suits him.  He'll get used to the new name, I'm sure, especially if you don't use his old name around him for quite some time.   :clap:  Congratulations on your new boy!!!  :clap:

Murrieta, California

Sounds good Erin.  bear_original
Let me know if you need any advise/help. Remember I use to train dogs professionally. As sweet a puppy I'm sure he is you will definitely need to make sure he knows that you are the "Alpha Dog" and not himself. No doubt he is going to be a big dog of over 100 pounds. I'm sure he will be a well behaved loving dog being owned by you.
Hugs,
Cyndee

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

He is a really handsome boy and I bet he will need a lot of exercise-you will tire out quicker than he will bear_grin
We have a dobermann and you could walk him all day off the lead and I don't think he would ever stop running about.
Laurie :hug:

Southern California

Thanks everyone!

Cyndee I might take you up on that!  He's such a big dog, and he tends to listen to Jack so far much more than me....But it's only day 5 and he's doing really good.

I think he's learning to stay away from my mohair! lol

ScaliWagGrrs ScaliWagGrrs
Denver, Colorado
Website

He is a sweet looking pup! He does look like he has Great Dane in him.
If you do a DNA test I would NOT recommend doing one from BioPet Vet Lab/Biotech corporation. It was sold in the store I work at and has had lots of complaints. The owner of the store did her dog and the results seemed totally wrong. She gave me one to do on my Leonberger to see how it would come out. As Leonbergers are rare breeds and not in BioPets data base. It should have showed Saint Bernard, Great Pyrenees and Newfie as those are the breeds that were originally used to make the Leonberger. Well the test said she was Great Dane, Westie, Pug, Irish Setter, Yorkie and Beagle!  Seems like they just threw darts at a chart to come up with that!
From my understanding the blood test type of Dna testing is more accurate than the cheek swab. More expensive but more accurate.
Beth

Murrieta, California

I was afraid of that!!
Are you going to neuter him? I think I just answered my own question!  bear_wacko If you got him from the shelter he will have to be alter and that will help. I'll email you some tips but if he is already listening to Jack better than you he has already placed you lower in the pack. You can change that without a problem. The main reason big dogs end up in shelters is because the owner can't control them. It's sad because they really want to be a good dog, well behaved but the owners just don't know how to accomplish this. I'm sure you and Jack will be the right home for him. Two parents for a big dog is much better.  bear_original  I wanted to ask you if you have a Tread Mill? If you can get him walking on it as soon as possible it will be a great help. Because he is so big he is going to require lots of exercise and this is a great way to burn off excess energy and then you can start with training him.
OK. I'm getting carried away!! I love dogs and miss the day to day training. They are so eager to please!
Email any time and I'll help you with all that I can.
Hugs,
Cyndee

Board footer