Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

I am just finishing a bear at the moment with a felted face, has anyone tried using oil paints to finish of the features on their face?  I am looking some some very soft features to finish off. :pray:

Is so, what technique and brand paint has worked best for you?

Any comments are welcome. thanks.

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

IMG_0035.JPGYes! Bruno had his eyelids painted. As you don't use much paint the effect can be as soft as you want. I wanted a heavier look but its up to you. I don't even need to use the right coloured wool as the paint works so well you can make the felt any colour you like. As to the paints, I've just got a cheap set from the local 'cheap' shop. It really works well. I have'nt got many wool colours as I don't need them to be spot on if I use the oil paint technique. Let us know how you go on.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I did on my totally felted whimsical bears......but it was a brush that only had about 5 bristles, ( I cut off the rest....) and then after I brushed the brush practicaly dry I tested it on my arm.....if it was too visible I brushed it again over the paper towels....

Actually- I just followed Shelli's directions.....

The hardest part for me was that I kept getting paint on my hands, and was afraid it would transfer.....so I have to have lots and lots of paper towels, and since I do everything in the living room, I don't do it when the hubs is around.....I plan on things like that for when he is at work.

Also on some mini's I found thatva little goes a  long long long way-I thought that a mini would be less forgiving but even then it looked like I was too heavy handed.

just my thoughts

let us know how you do....

Dilu

Meri Bears (UK) West Sussex, England

Hi Karen

I agree with Amanda and Dilu. I've used oils on felted mohair with good results as long as you only use the smallest amount and almost wipe it all off. I found that if the felt went a bit fluffy I could just trim it back.

For you gals in the UK, I don't know if any of you have a shop near you called 'The Works'.  It's a great shop for picking up reasonably priced artist materials like oil paints, paper etc but I just discovered their range of artist brushes. They come in single packs about 99p each and the scrubber brushes come in tiny sizes, perfect for applying oil shading to your bears.

Kate :)
x

www.meribears.fotopic.net

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Kate thats where I get my stuff from. They usually have one in most towns.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Karen,
Good adice given here already.  If I may add to this, airbrushing is of course, my favorite way of adding shading due to the extreme soft effects you can get.  If you don't want to go this route, oils and acrylics work great...even markers.

The basic colors for numerous combinations of effects are : Yellow Ochre, Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Titanium White, and Black.  With these colors , you can layer and mix them to get almost any color perfect for animals. 

I think the key to super effects is layering.  Build up your layers of colors, very lightly.  If you put too much on somewhere you can always felt over it and redo it. bear_wub

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Cool, thanks for all the wonderful advice, I am off to experiment now.

Annndddd don't worry, I will show you the end results.

Thanks again.  :hug:

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

criskrinkleintreecloseup25.jpgCRIS KRINKLE HAS A PAINTED MUZZLE AND MOUTH
And kitty in the avatar has painted paws and muzzle.

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Ohhh love the colours Matilda. Well done.

I have the oil paints now, I am armed and dangerous, see what I come up with.  bear_whistle :clap:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Matilda, that is such a great face on your bear.  I really like his bottom lip.  What an expression! bear_tongue

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

I Know i asked silly question i want to go and buy some oil paint.  is it in a bottle or is it in a pen  Fran

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Fran, I have found them at spotlight chain of stores here in Australia in tubes, brand is Art Colour, pack of 12 and they work well

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

new3.JPGnew.JPGHere you go tell me what you think?  Do you think more shading is required? Honest feedback please

Much appreciated

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

Wow!!!! Karen he is wonderful, if mine comes out half as good i will be very happy i like the shading but Judi is the one to see. Thanks for the tip on spotlight

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Very nice bear Karen.  What a sweet expression, and I love the colors.

Thanks also for sharing the info about spotlight pens.  I did not know about those.

I use acrylics mostly but have used oils on a recent bear.  I will show you photos just as soon as I can.  The oils I bought weer in the artist supply section at Hobby Lobby.  They come in a tube.   The brand name is Alexander.  A very small amount goes a long way.  They have dried just fine but it did take a few weeks.

tinybear The SleepingElf
UK

I have also found pastel fabric crayons , they are like oil pastels ...nice and easy to use , and it leaves the fabric soft too ,I use them on my bears and needlefelting  bear_smile

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Sounds like a good way to shade, Carrie.  DO you belnd them with a paper blender after you apply the color?

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Karen, I LOVE THAT BEAR!!

great job! Can't wait to see more, and I like the shading and the shaping.

matilda, what a cool bear!

Heather

purelyneysa Purely Neysa
Indiana, PA
Website

Oil Pastels and Prisma Pencils work great too. So does your wool... using other colors to inhance.

Karen wonderful face, too too cute

Matilda- ditto- although on my computer screen he was a little fuzzy I was still able to get an idea- you do the neatest things with your features- like Judi- I love his lips!

I think that basically what we are seeing- is that just about any medium will work and any way that medium can be used will work.  That's really great for all of us.  Judi is comfy with air brushing, but I feel very insecure with it, so need more practise, therefore I love oil paint crayons and acrylic pens and fabric markers and brushes and.....

Golly girls, it's like being back in kindergarten again  bear_grin bear_grin  We've come ful circle- and hopefuly we are all having as much fun now as we did then  :wacko:

bear_tongue

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Thanks Everyone, its great to experiment and hear everyones successes and failures, we all learn that way.  :clap: Thanks again.

Sorry Judi, hope I didn't lead you a stray there, didn't mean too, Spotlight is a chain of manchester and craft store here in Australia, the product  is called Artcolor, it comes in tubes looks like they are from England.
Sounds like you have a wealth of places to get art products and supplies from in the US which we sadly don't bear_sad

WA

Yesterday I went to the annual Xmas fair in Claremont in Perth. I was there all of 30 minutes. Bought my supplies from the Teddy Tree . They always have a stall at all the fairs. Thank goodness.
Well anyway , I was only there such a short amount of time........Because......I wanted to get to Fremantle to check out this school for spray painting that is open in the' E shed markets' ,Fri, Sat, Sun. They offer a 2 day full day course in every element of spray painting. And then after , studio time , supervision and advise is available for all past students.           
                                   SO GUEST WHAT I'M DOING THIS SUMMER????? :dance: :dance:

where's the nananananana...na...na....smilie when you need one? bear_grin bear_grin

am seriously lagging behind in the workshop. So must dash. TA TA :dance:

Karen, sorry almost forgot. I love your bear. His eyes are truely lovely, and the shape of his nose is wonderful.
You did ask for comment. I'm loath to give it , but,( &  I'm no expert) Its just that I have noticed something that I also have  trouble with. So I thought that maybe you wont mind me mentioning it. It is the surface of his nose.
I have found it rather tricky to add extra fluff and blend it into the rest without the added being noticeable. I've been sliding my needle over and just under the surface to try and blend. Ask Judi for advise, I also am going to do the same. I really do love your bear and the paint job is great.  :hug:

Hey Matilda!!!

Fantabulous!  I love that you have a school nearby that can teach this to you.

I wish I had Judi nearby.....

We will expect to see the good, the bad, and the ugly  while you are in school-  it will brighten up the dismal winter we are going to be having

I also love that everyone here is so willing to try new things!

I hope it wards of Alzheimer's 

bear_tongue

WA

If it does'nt ward off Alzheimers, it will surely ward off boredom, Dilu.

If it wasnt for Judi, I dont think I would take the plunge. But that wee Lion of hers, was the one big push I needed. bear_grin bear_grin

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Thanks Matilda, comments are welcomed.

Especially  the fuzzy comments on the muzzle, I have tried trimming to stop this, and refelting down. 

Does anyone has some tips to fix this?   Can something be sprayed on to stop this from happening? :pray:

Board footer