Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Of people you have had over for Thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings?  We've only ever had five.  However, this year will be a huge celebration with 15-17 people.  And, eight of them will be full time, for a whole week, guests!!  Egad!!  Who would like to stamp CRAZY PERSON on my forehead?
bear_tongue

Does anyone have any great recipes (easy) that can be prepared ahead of time so that all the cooking isn't done on THE day.  I'd really like to enjoy my guests and not be a slave in the kitchen.

Please don't send me a link to a whole host of recipes on a website.  I'm looking for the tested and approved recipes only!!
bear_original  bear_original

Hugs and hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

Hi Aleta

Cook sausages (can be done prior), chop add into a pan of Pasta sauce, bring to boil simmer for 20 mins

Serve with Pasta and chunks of bread

Have plenty of bread to hand that way if you undercook the amount...............no one will notice

Tastes great, the tomato sauce permeates the sausages and its really cheap

as the cheaper the sausages the better

bear_thumb

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Hire a chef, a maid and and a bartender! bear_tongue

Sorry, can't help you with recipes but I can send lots of hugs while wondering what on earth you were thinking... a whole WEEK?????? :doh:  Though, if I were a relative I'd want to come for a whole week too but I'd be no bother cause I'd be in your studio... you'd never hear a peep from me!

You are an amazing hostess and very organized.... I'm sure you'll pull this off and still completely enjoy yourself too! :hug:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Ooh, I have an excellent recipe for pie that comes from an East Bay restaurant:  Eulipia.  I nabbed it from a friend who eats at the restaurant; she'd eaten it there and some years ago, the restaurant published the recipe in the local paper.  Since it's a restaurant recipe, it actually produces four large pies from the one recipe; that's how they make it there, so quantities aren't reduced for single pies.  You've got to make all four!!

If you like Kahlua, chocolate, pecans, and yum, this one's for you.

I'm heading out the door but I'll try to grab it and post it later today.

And by the way... you ARE crazy, woman.  Yeesh.   bear_wacko

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Think I had 20 one year . . . all relatives.  I have a cornbread dressing recipe that has been passed down through my mom's family and will be glad to share if you think you'd want it.  You can put all the dry ingredients together before, then on turkey day, add eggs, giblets, and turkey drippings.  Cornbread dressing is, I think, a southern thing.

teeeej Brisbane

When I was younger we used to have BIG christmas lunches at our house. Every year my aunts and uncles and cousins would come back home to celebrate. There would always be 20-30 (or more) family members plus anyone else who wished to come. Luckily my mother had her three sisters and mother to help her with the cooking. Nowdays we tend to have much smaller and simpler Christmas lunches.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Aleta, here is one of my fav recipes for breakfast.

Breakfast Strata

Ingredients

1 1/2 pounds Meat (bulk breakfast sausage or ham cut in squares)

12 Eggs

3 c Milk

1/2 Loaf Italian bread (let sit in open paper bag for a day to harden)

1 ½ tsp Ground mustard

Preparation

1. Brown sausage over medium heat, drain OR dice ham into squares.(great with leftover ham)

2. Mix eggs, milk and mustard, set aside.

3. Rip bread into small pieces, fill greased 9x13 pan

4. Sprinkle meat over bread.

5. Pour egg mixture over bread and meat. Cover and chill overnight.

6. Remove from fridge 30 min before baking.

7. Bake, covered with foil, at 350 degrees for 60-65 minutes or until a knife

inserted near the center comes out clean.

I have doubled this recipe and put it in a big aluminum rectangle pan. I have also done it where I have added mushrooms, onions and peppers and sprinkled those on top of the bread and meat.

(this is even good cold  believe it or not )

hugs

Shane

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Yay...I LOVE cooking for lots of people and this year Thanksgiving is at my house too!!

Most of my recipes are from allrecipes.com or foodtv. I watch a show and try them out.
If it has a high review out there on allrecipe you can pretty much trust it, just read some of the comments for tweaking tips.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Gourmet-Sw … etail.aspx  (this one is an all time favorite...the picture out here does it zero justice)
(you can TOTALLY use canned yams for this one and no one will know the dif..promise!)

This one is for breakfast...looks really weird, but with an adjustment it is really good and different.  I don't use bananas, I use drained canned pineapple. Remember it looks odd..but the flavors all pull together.  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paul … index.html
French toast bakes are really good too, because you really have to make it the night before for it to work.  Look up those on allrecipe, the blueberry ones are gooooood.  Oh, and little quiche's are good.  Make them in muffin tins for easy portions.  OH!  that works for stuffing too. 
http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/deleg … hType=site  Rachel Ray is huge on "stuffin muffins" for portion control bear_laugh

I've made these at bite sized appetizers tons of times...winner bear_original  http://www.crabcakeguy.com/robert-duval … es-recipe/

This could be made as one desert rather than individual. I made it for a party my mom had, the girls all LOVED it.  YUM-O  (AND it's really pretty!!)http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giad … index.html

Idea for dessert table.  You're the decorating, floral wiz, so you could really do a lot with this idea  bear_flower   I would never order from here (really expensive) but the idea is one you could easily replicate with any pound cake.  http://www.nonniewallers.com/lilPunkin.htm

Another dessert I use to make each thanksgiving....then I went wheat& dairy free and had to stop (too tempting)
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sour-Cream … etail.aspx

I haven't made this one in a few years, but it was always requested. Not an easy task, but well worth it.  Dark Chocolate and Pumpkin Cheesecake. It's in Death by Chocolate by Marcel Desaulniers.  Someone once paid me $80 to make this one...it's THAT amazing.

And just some tested recipes for holidays or anyday just in case anyone likes 'em bear_original

Works on all chicken parts...we do legs & breasts.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mahogany-C … etail.aspx

Another app I made for a party of my mom's...gals all loved em.   http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Dinahs-Stu … etail.aspx

These could be a good holiday app or game day food.  Pecans are holiday-ish. We make these just cause I like em!!
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rach … index.html

One of the best Holiday Cookbooks I have is "The Spirit of Christmas Cookbook".  Great pics, great recipes.  From main courses to fun snack mixes this book ROCKS!!  I love flipping through it just because bear_original

:hug:
~Chrissi

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

I always have from 15 to 20 for Thanksgiving.  The main thing that helps A LOT is that the hubster bbq's the turkey in the Weber.  It's heavenly this way, very  moist and it frees up the ovens for everything else.  I cook a chicken in the  little roaster oven for the gravy fixin's (I stash it away in the laundry room to cook). 

I make almost everything the day before and put it all in the fridge for heating up the next day.  I make yams (from scratch), turkey dressing, pumpkin cheesecake, cranberry sauce.  The cheesecake and the cranberry sauce can even be made two days ahead of time.  When people ask what they can bring, I delegate the green salad and the bread and maybe a couple extra desserts.  About the only thing I make the day of Thanksgiving is the gravy and mashed potatoes.

I set the tables the day before too.

Funny, I only know how to make thanksgiving dishes in bulk.  If I tried to make them for 4 or 5 I'd be befuddled.

I have the recipes for everything right here in my noggin.  I couldn't tell you amounts but I could tell you the ingredients.  I do have my pumpkin cheesecake recipe written down though.
Pumpkin_Cheesecake.jpg

Us Bears Pennsylvania

I (Randy) like to cook for my wife (Melanie) when I'm home on weekends.
One of my favorite recipes is Chicken Tortellini Soup.  A spicy, hearty soup with pasta and chicken.
It's easy to prepare.  You can pick up most of the ingredients, prepared, off the grocery store shelves.

I shop at the local Wegman's supermarket so I linked you to the products I buy but consider this a reference only.  Add, subtract or substitute ingredients as you see fit.  Adjust amounts, proportions and level of spice according to taste.

Spicy Chicken Tortellini Soup

Ingredients:

To prepare:

• In a 6 Qt. soup pot, add:
    Chicken Stock, Tomatoes (with juice), Enchelada Sauce.

• Add frozen vegebables.  Heat and stir occasionally to thaw veggies.

• Remove chicken from bone & cut/break into bite size pieces.  Add to soup.

• Bring to simmer.

• Add tortellini.  Simmer until vegetables are cooked and pasta is tender.

Serve with tortilla chips on the side or as garnish.

Serves 4 with leftovers or up to 6.

Multiply recipe as needed.

Also goes well with freshly baked corn bread.

Portland, Oregon
Website

Yum, yum you guys!!  Bless your hearts and keep 'em coming.  Quick and easy recipes!  I will be sharing kitchen duties with the hubs.  He's the cook in the family but with so many people here he's going to need a helper.  I can prep and I can set and I can clean up!!  Cook?  Not so much.  Except for turkey dinner.  It's the one meal I actually love to make.  Weird, huh?

Sue Ann,
Please do share your cornbread recipe!!  I'm game for something southern.  It never hurts to mix things up a bit!!

Shane,
That recipe sounds quick and easy and made for a crowd!!  I love that it's a breakfast meal!!  Yay!

Sue,
Thank you for reminding me I have other meals to prep besides Thanksgiving.  I must have been thinking I would send them all elsewhere for dinner.  ha!

Okay, Shelli.....fork over that recipe!! :twisted:

Oh, Chrissie....you slay me with your enthusiasm for cooking!  Please let some of that fairy dust rub off on me for a week.
bear_happy

Daphne,
I have the chef.  I AM the maid....and I'll definitely need that bartender!  Lemon Drop martinis anyone?
:)

Hugs and hugs and hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Portland, Oregon
Website

Dearest Patty,
Wait a minute there!  You make your own cranberry sauce?  Good grief girlfriend!!  Mine slides out of a can.  Ha!  I have this squiggly slicer thing that makes it look really pretty though!!
:crackup:  :crackup:

Hi Randy!
That soup will surely be a hit.  We love soup!!  The fact that it's a mexi dish is even better!

You guys are FABULOUS!!!

Hugs and hugs and more hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Glad you like!  :)

The soup is a good thing to put somebody else in charge of.  It's not so much a "recipe" as it is "assembly instructions."

Pour all the stuff into the pot and turn on the heat.  Pick the chicken off the bone then put it in.  When the soup is hot enough add the tortellini.  That's it!

You can put somebody in charge of the soup and you will be free to do other things.  You'll only have to come back every so often and supervise.  If your husband cooks, this ought to be a snap for him!

Me and the Bears hope your holiday is happy!  :)
We hope you all eat until you are ready to bust! bear_grin

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Well, this was easy to find.  I actually posted it here on Teddy Talk before!  God Bless the search function.

Here 'tis:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This recipe, being from a restaurant, makes FOUR tarts.  Yes, FOUR.  It's super easy to mix up and if you want to cheat, like I do, and use frozen crusts, you can literally have all four pies in the oven and baking in about 20 minutes.  It's incredibly good served warm with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream.  Yum yum.  And it freezes beautifully; just thaw and eat. 

EULIPIA KAHLUA CHOCOLATE PECAN TART

4 pie crusts (home made or frozen -- you choose)
8 eggs
4 cups sugar
1 cup cornstarch
1 pound butter, melted completely
1 cup Kahlua
4 cups pecans, chopped coarse or fine, as you prefer (I like it medium, myself)
18 oz. chocolate chips

Combine ingredients in a bowl and mix, then pour into prepared crusts.
Bake @ 350 for 45 minutes, or until top is golden and insides are set.

Enjoy!!!

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

Goodness - that sounds like a small crowd to me! I had 25 at our Thanksgiving dinner this year and that was considered a small gathering. As the oldest of 11 and with my Dad living with us - everyone gathers at our farm....often!!
I often do the turkey the day before and then that's out of the way. We have our own beef and pork so I often do several roasts and of course, a large pot of macaroni and cheese and one of chili so that takes care of lunch.
Have fun!

Marion

Oh....Lasagna!!  Sounds odd for Thanksgiving, but it's pretty Italian to serve at both Thanksgiving and Christmas...we do at least  bear_grin   It's one dish, easy enough to make, can have any meat or veggies added and it tastes BEST a day or 2 after it's made.  I highly recommend making a 9x13 pan of Lasagna during your week of entertaining!   bear_thumb

Sending Happy Cooking Fairy Dust your way  bear_grin

~Chrissi

Edited to add..... It's SNOWING at my house!! Big chunks of snow mixed with a little rain..but it's SNOWING and it's coming down pretty good!!  I'm itching to make a big pot of chili now  bear_wacko  bear_grin

Penn Valley, CA

This Gingerbread Coffeecake is absolutely my most favorite holiday sweet stuff recipe.  And the Tiramisu Cheesecake is my favorite cheesecake recipe.  My kids' favorite is the pumpkin cheesecake but the tiramisu gets my vote as the best.  These recipes came out of a cook book I made for my girlies.

The cranberry sauce is easy.  Fresh cranberries, water, sugar, a little fresh squeezed orange juice, a diced apple or two, boil until the cranberries pop then mash it a little.  Put it in the fridge overnight.  Very yummy.

tiramisu_cheesecake_page_1b.jpg
tiramisu_cheesecake_page_2.jpg

gingerbread_coffeecake.jpg

This is soooo easy and I serve it for company all the time.  I always get requests for the recipe.  I put extra parmesan cheese on top and always double the amount of mushrooms.

chicken_tetrazinni.jpg

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Patty,
     My hubby would whine without home made cranberry sauce  bear_tongue   but your are right - it really is easy.  I make mine in the microwave! 
     Wow, good luck with all the cooking, Aleta,  We've had up to a dozen for thanksgiving, but hubby always makes the stuffing and gets the turkey ready.  I hate stuffing, so if he wants it, he has to make it  :crackup:
Can't think of any recipes right now - I'll keep thinking.

hugs,

Brenda

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub You must be out of your mind to have all those people, God Bless  you for doing it.  I hope the family realizes that.  So many of the things can be made ahead and frozen if need be, and thaw out and heat on turkey day.  Sides and deserts can be done that way.  I have cooked for my family of only 5 to 6, but even that is hectic when you are trying to get it all done and on time. Creamed stringbeans comes to mind as a quick recipe. 
4 cans of french tyle string beans/drained
1 big onion chopped small
1 pint sour cream.
paprika, salt & pepper

fry onions in oil until golden, add string beans and fry for awhile, then sprinkle a lot of paprilka on them, add sour cream mix good and thicken with corn starch.

give it a try.
I hope it all works out for you.

Remember how excited I was about that Snow??  Well, @#&*$ the snow bear_sad    We got about 3-4 inches of this wet snow and I had to go to my sisters.  The snow was too heavy for the wipers on the car so I went to step out and wound up slipping under the door with my legs kinda sorta squished up agains the front tire. The only thing that saved me was the fact that I grabbed the door handle just as I went down...down fast and hard..my arm slammed against the door frame as my body went under it. Each time I went to get up I went back down.  My arm and elbow are 3 shades of purple and my whole body feels like I got hit by a truck.  LOVELY!!!  I usually LOVE snow...this snow I HATE  bear_angry

SO I type now with ice on my arm, 3 hours after the fall and I'm not a happy camper.

BUT I wanted to share a really pretty table piece with you.  I had it out on my blog....when I had a blog, so here it is again.

1 bag of fresh cranberries, tealight candles, wide mouth canning jars (the vintage ones with raised words and images are great), water and any ribbon you like. 

Fill the jars about 1/3 full with cranberries
Fill the jars with water just to under the threads of the jars neck, you'll see the cranberries float up.
Gently press the tealight into the berries, creating a suction with the berries and the water.
Light the tealight candle.
The flame should be well within the jar so tying a bit of torn ribbon at the base of the neck should be safe...use your discretion with that.
These add such a pretty glow to tables, hutches, the kitchen stovetop, etc.

Ok, so off to nurse this battered arm of mine bear_rolleyes

~Chrissi

Added pics:

Cranberries5.jpg
Cranberries6.jpg

Penn Valley, CA

Chrissi, you poor thing.   bear_sad  bear_sad   Take care of that arm. 

Your candle centerpiece is sooo pretty ! ! !  I'm going to have to remember that one for Christmas this year.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oooooh, Chrissi, how awful!  Hope you're feeling better soon.

Okay, Aleta . . . here is the dressing recipe.  Actually, it's stuffing, though we call it dressing. 

CORNBREAD (make this in advance)

2 cups cornmeal
1 egg
2 tsps. salt
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 1/2 Tbsps. melted shortening or cooking oil (canola or other)
Mix ingredients and add enough milk to make consistency to pour into a hot, well-greased pan.
Bake at 400 degrees (preheat oven) until brown on top . . . about 25 - 30 minutes.

DRESSING (stuffing)

Crumble the cornbread
Add about a dozen crumbled saltine crackers
4 eggs
large onion or 2 small ones, chopped fine
1 1/2 cups chopped celery
Enough drippings (diluted with water) from cooked turkey to make the dressing very moist . . . about the   consistency to pour
3-4 Tbsps. sage . . . to your taste
It is better, if possible, to make the dressing (dry ingredients only) the day before and keep overnight in refrigerator.  Then add the eggs and drippings after cooking the turkey the next day.  Pour into pan and bake at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes to an hour.  We always had the dressing as a side dish, but you may stuff the turkey with it before baking if desired.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

OH!  OH!  I did Chrissi's pretty cranberry/candle centerpiece thingie last holiday season, in Bell jars, and it really was so pretty... bear_original

Portland, Oregon
Website

Thank you Shelli and Sue Ann!!   bear_wub

Chrissi,  bear_flower
I imagine today you really feel like you've been hit with a truck.  Awww sweetie....I'm sorry that nasty snow did a number on you.  Just for the record....I'm not a snow lover.  Had waaaay too much of the stuff growing up in Alaska.  I prefer the green, green grass of the Pacific Northwest.   bear_original  bear_original

Oh, and that table decoration looks so pretty, doesn't it?!!  I think I'll try that idea with the big cylindar jars!!!

Gotta go.....be back later to catch up..... bear_original

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Board footer