Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

MKinsey/TBF Teddy Bear and Friends
Lancaster PA

MKinsey/TBF Editor of Teddy Bear and Friends

I had an artist write to me today, asking if she should refrain from entering the TOBY Awards contest because her ill health prohibits travel, even to important functions like the awards event.

I'd like to apologize to anyone who felt discouraged from entering by my note regarding the awards event. I did not mean to offend anyone. Of course you are welcome to enter the contest. The most important factor in the contest is getting great entries from a broad range of artists and manufacturers.

I would, however, like to explain the reason for the statement. I was disappointed at the attendance at this year’s awards event. We announced it late, and we take responsibility for that. We did try to publicize it widely once it was announced, but apparently not well enough: only 3 nominees out of close to 70 attended. 

This was a contrast to the Teddy Baer Total awards banquet, where nearly all of the nominees and winners were present. Knowing that the Golden George organizers encourage people to attend, I decided to make the request, too. Perhaps I put it a bit strongly, and for that I apologize. I do believe that it is a duty of nominees, when possible, to attend the awards ceremony being held in their honor – but I would never ask someone to risk their health to do so. We’d rather have you healthy at home making great bears!

So please, enter the contest. Everyone is welcome, and we want as many artists to enter as possible. If you are nominated, we would appreciate your making a reasonable effort to attend the awards ceremony at TBAI in Binghamton NY in August. Cindy always invites all of the TOBY artists to exhibit if they choose, and we've moved the event from Thursday night to Saturday morning to make it even more convenient and affordable to attend. I'll make the same request for the Golden Teddy Awards, which will be held at the Hunt Valley MD show in November 2009. These events are celebrations of the nominees and their work, and the collectors and their enthusiasm. Celebrations are just more fun and successful when you do them in person. :)

Many thanks,
Mindy

Board footer