Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

With the biggies looming large, I would like to ask a question which always niggles at me when it comes to teddy bear competitions and that is, do you think it is better to create a themed entry for competition or, are you confident to create a fabulous unthemed bear in the belief it will still be noticed by the judging panel alongside highly themed entries?

To be honest, I'm never sure which way to go.  As a maker of 'bare bears', I rarely theme my work, preferring instead to develop my designs without relying on props and theatrical interpretation and I like my competition entries to reflect the bears I create for collectors.  However, I often wonder whether 'just a bear', no matter how appealing, can ever truly compete against cleverly themed bears, (ie., those specifically created to posture and tell a story) ... even if the bear itself is outstanding in quality, design and appeal.

We have some amazingly talented competitive bear artists here on TT, encompassing both sides of this interesting coin, so I'd love to hear views from everyone with an interest in competition work, those who make and those who judge (both public and professionals) and also those who simply enjoy!

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Paula,
     I just do my regular stuff and hope something strikes me that it is a bit different and might be worthy of competition.  I haven't entered in a few years though.

hugs,

Brenda

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Personally I'm drawn to "undressed" bears.  I tend to lean less to the dressed bear in general .....as a maker & as a collector.  I dress, decorate and even cook with a "less is more" theory too.  The most true to form chocolate chip cookie can indeed win taste buds over from a 4 tier themed chocolate cake with icing flowers and icing bows.  So make what you like well and others will love it too :)

Now that's not to say I never buy or sit and drool over the dressed bear. When it's done with direction the dressed/themed bear can be fantastic (not to make anyone's ears burn but Kelly Dean's dressed bears have a balance I'm personally drawn to ...with my artists and collectors eye).  When it's not done with direction I often see dressed/themed bears as the head and paws clothing hanger for a costume.

In general, I like bear in my bear  bear_laugh

:hug:
~Chrissi

wazzabears Wazza Bears Australia
Bulli

I personal am less is more. I find with my own bears I think they are better with just a ribbon or nothing. Why would you want to cover up that lovelly fur. But on the other hand I do like theme bear but in a tablaux.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I guess it all depends on what category you are entering Paula. I think it's kind of fun to try both dressed and undressed.  Although we rarely do a dressed bear, it is fun to try and think outside the box and push yourself. I hate covering up all the wonderful mohair that's why I don't enjoy doing a dressed bear that often  bear_grin , not to say I don't appreciate and love a dressed bear it's just something we rarely do ourselves.

big hugs

Shane

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

It's an interesting conundrum, thanks for your thoughts everyone.   :clap:

I think some of the themed entries I have seen in  prestigious competitions - for example in this year's TOBY's - are incredible .. the thought and detail that went into those pieces!  I always wonder how 'just a bear' bear can compete - but they obviously do in the most professionally judged competitions which is born out by some of the unthemed winners (thankfully!) 

That said, I have also seen competitions where less than spectacular bears have received nominations, presumably because they have been cleverly themed and for someone like me, who believes the principle of all good bear crafting should be a stunning teddy bear first and foremost, that kind of result can be soul-destroying!

Board footer