Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

IMG_0653.jpgIMG_1745.jpgIMG_1736.jpgIMG_1744.jpgIMG_0749.jpgIMG_0782.jpgIMG_0755.jpgHi.  My hubby and I went to a Halloween party last night sponsored by a local radio station.
I was a Unicorn and he wa a Jester.  We won tickets to see the Christmas Spectacular featuring the Rockettes.  I think we are going to give the tickets to my mom as she really wants to see this show.

Anyway, I wanted to share a few pictures.

There were some really funny costumes.  Five guys dressed up as Italian sausages.  There was a girl dressed up a black evening dress with a beauty pageant sash which read: "Miss Diagnosed"  and a care accident vicim...pretty gory.  There were also a few...eh-hem...stupid and primeval "man" costumes....that only a guy woudl think is funny.

We had a great time.  This is the only time of year when people can go out and be silly and get away with it. bear_grin
My children dressed up as a bride ghoul, a fireman, and a leopard.

Oh...and I made spider snacks for Joey's kindergarten class.

Did anyone else dress up?

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Woohoo, Judi . . . . you make a very stunning unicorn!!  Gorgeous!  And Mark looks cute, too.

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Great costumes, Judi! I haven't been to a Halloween party for years but always used to love dressing up in costume.

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Wonderful costumes!! You look great Judi!

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

That's so weird Judi- we have a Myths and Legends ball coming up and I was thinking about going as a Unicorn to that! 

I got out the old Alice costume from our Movie Ball three years ago- forgot to take of my zebra print nail varnish from the Animal Kingdom social two nights ago- whoops!

n61213663_38958993_7543.jpg
Alice.jpg
Nothing on yours, Judi!

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

Judi you look fantastic! I love your costume and the rest of your family looks great too. That is awesome you guys all dress up bear_original bear_original bear_original
I was the only one I know who dressed up.. lol. I went to work like that and got lots of laughs from everyone. It was a fun day.

mellywitch.jpg

Hugs!
Melanie

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Wow!
All your guys look great  :clap:  Judi; love to see the kids as they grow. I usually am a black cat but missed this year. I won't miss next year!
Karen

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

I just had to add these - our youngest grandies always come from the next town over: the 6 yo is very enthusiastic. 10 yo Bro is getting a little too cool for all of this kid stuff...
HA1.jpg

While they hit a few of our neighbors, I decided to try out a feature on my TWO Y.O. CAMERA I'D NEVER USED BEFORE:   NIGHT PIX... (no time like the present!)

Second image was me - focusing on Aidan's 'Rainbow', a new Garden Arch I got this year. And I thought I was holding still!!

No, we do not train tigers to jump through fire rings in our Spare Time!! LOL - the boys thought it was cool tho, and could hardly wait for their turn.
I went with the other option - Night PIX /Portrait, so the Flash would help out.

I AM holding still!!! The dichotomy, on this most pagan of holidays , is that the Halloween lights, bought and decorating the arch as a surprise for Aidan's 6th B'day 2 days ago, is that the arch spells out:

GOD BLESS THIS GARDEN

How's that for being ecumenical?!

HA2.jpg

HA3.jpg

Us Bears Pennsylvania
rkr4cds wrote:

...The dichotomy, on this most pagan of holidays , is that the Halloween lights, bought and decorating the arch as a surprise for Aidan's 6th B'day 2 days ago, is that the arch spells out:

GOD BLESS THIS GARDEN

You might be happy to know that, even though Halloween's original roots lay in Pagan tradition, it actually is a Christian holiday.

Halloween is the night before All Saint's Day.

On All Saint's Day we are supposed to pray for the souls of our relatives who have died in the past year and pay our respects to our ancestors.

The early Catholic Church used to teach that the new day begins at sundown.
Therefore, what we believe to be the day BEFORE is actually the beginning of the Christian feast.

The wearing of costumes was meant to ward off evil spirits who tried to return to Earth.

The handing out of treats was originally meant to symbolize appeasement of evil spirits, thus clearing the way for our loved ones to return.

The carving of Jack-O-Lanterns was meant to light the way for the spirits of our relatives to find their way home again so that  their families can commune with them one last time before making the journey to Heaven.

In Mexico, Spain and other Spanish speaking countries, Halloween and All Saint's Day is celebrated by decorating the graves of dead relatives.

In fact, the traditional Spanish name for "Halloween" is "La noche antes del Día de Todos los Santos."
Translation:  "The night before All Sain't Day."

As I said, Halloween (originally "All Hallows Even") may have been a Pagan holiday but Popes of the early Catholic Church used to declare their holidays to be the same as Pagan holidays as a way of "Christianizing" them.

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Great costumes everyone!!!

Studio44 Studio 44
UK

Thought you might like to see these two scary witches!

We had a little party for our grandaughter, of course she & myself were the only ones to dress up! I thought we looked rather spooky.03a.JPG

Dorothy

bear_rolleyes  bear_rolleyes  bear_rolleyes

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
Melbear wrote:

I was the only one I know who dressed up.. lol. I went to work like that and got lots of laughs from everyone. It was a fun day.

Thanks everyone/  We had so much fun.  I love this holiday.

Chloe you make one sweet innocent-looking "Alice in Wonderland".  Did you go tp a party?

Melanie, you make a beautiful witch.  I love to see "grown-ups" get involved in Halloween and show their fun side.  I bet that made you day really fun. :dance:

Gee Karen, can't imagine wht you would be a black cat. bear_laugh  bear_laugh  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:   I'd love to see that.  Maybe next year?  or do you have pictures from years past?

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Awesome pix Bobbie. bear_thumb   Did yo have fun playing with your camera as well as your "grandies"?  I like that word.  I am going to star using it when I talk to my mom about her grandchildren.  "Okay Mom, the Grandies are coming over now."   Not to be confused with grundies.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Dorothy, nice spooky photo.  Love that fun side, don't you :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

If I could elaborate just a bit on what "Just US bears " posted about the meaning of Halloween

The word "Hallow" means 'Saint' and the evening before All Saints Day was "All Hallow's Eve".  Over time it was merged together to create Halloween.  There is a fantastic program on the History Channel on Cable TV about the origin of this spooky Holiday which is where I learned this alomg with a bunch of other stuff like what was mentioned in Just Us Bears post.  Interesting stuff.

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website
Judi wrote:

Chloe you make one sweet innocent-looking "Alice in Wonderland".  Did you go to a party?

Yup bear_original  We had a bit of a house party (without the screaming and bodily fluids!) and then went out for drinks in my University town bear_original  Not enough cheesy Hallowe'en music playing for my tastes though!  I never really got to 'do' Hallowe'en as a child so I enjoy celebrating it now bear_original

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

How fun Chloe.  I too cannot get enough cheesy Halloween music.  We danced to Michael Jackson's "Thriller".  That is the best H song in my opinion.  It's prefect. bear_thumb  bear_thumb

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website
Judi wrote:

How fun Chloe.  I too cannot get enough cheesy Halloween music.  We danced to Michael Jackson's "Thriller".  That is the best H song in my opinion.  It's prefect. bear_thumb  bear_thumb

lol, I love that one.. and Monster Mash..  AND Cemetary by the Headstones.... lol. I'm sure there is more. Glad I'm not the only one who loves Cheesy Halloween songs. 

Hugs,
Melanie

Board footer