Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

We've all seen what happens when the wheels fall off the bus, so to speak.   bear_shocked  bear_shocked I read an interesting article (okay, I only scanned the article...who has the time to read a full article these days?) about using emoticons to interject feeling and/or tone of voice while conversing on the internet.  I know it takes a little extra time to add them to your text but it might prevent a flat tire, roll over, or an all out catastrophic incidence that throws people out of the bus like we witnessed yesterday.   bear_cry Just an eensie weensie suggestion.:whistle:  bear_whistle  bear_original  bear_original

Warmest bear hugs,   :hug:
Aleta

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

bear_thumb Really good idea. I really do think they help! But unfortunately even they can be misinterpreted. bear_ermm  Way back when I first started reading Teddy Talk, someone posted a swap idea and another person  said "good luck with your swap  :crackup: " She said she used the crack-up smiley because she thought it was cute, but the original poster took it as sarcasm, which I could see...at any rate they both blew up at each other and neither post here anymore at all bear_sad

I have, on more than one occasion, felt stung or hurt by words or "tones", imagined or real (yesterday included), but my defense mechanism when I feel that way is to just not reply lest I in turn say something in the heat of the moment to offend someone I care about in this community that I love. Some might perceive it as a cowards way out, but it has worked for me... That is, I think it has...hopefully I haven't offended anyone bear_noexpression  BTW What does the little straight mouthed guy mean?

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

P.S. Aleta, :hug:  :hug:  bear_wub

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Aleta:   bear_wub  bear_flower  :hug:  :photo:  :cake:  :bday:  :clap:  bear_original

This is you:   bear_innocent

Clear enough?

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Portland, Oregon
Website

Thanks Tami!!   bear_flower  bear_wub  bear_original

You're right too, about people perhaps misinterpreting the emoticons.   bear_wacko Golly darn.  And there I thought I was on to something!   bear_grin I've no clue as to the bear with the straight face emoticon.  Perhaps he's....um.....oh shoot, I don't know.  One thing is for sure though, he's in between happy and sad!  Oh, I know!  :dance:  He's indifferent or neutral!  Now that I've figured out that little puzzle for the day...... bear_happy  bear_happy  bear_happy

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Portland, Oregon
Website

HAHAHAHAHA!!  You funny girlie, Shelli! bear_laugh  bear_flower  bear_wub

Actually, this is me today... :twisted: .....I have a raging earache  bear_cry so I'm outta here to go see the doctor!  Maybe then I'll be back to my  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original self.

See ya later!  Try to stay out of trouble bear_rolleyes , okay?  Ha!

Hugs and hugs and hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_whistle  bear_rolleyes  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Ohh Aleta,
      Hope you get some antibiotics and painkillers - earaches are soooooo painful.  Hugs to you, sweetie. :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

hugs,

Brenda

Portland, Oregon
Website

I have a couple of favorite emoticons:   bear_flower  and :hug:   The first one for opening the conversation on a happy note and the hugs at the end of the post for....the hugs!  I always give people hugs goodbye in the real world.

I find that I use this one  :crackup: when I crack myself up.  If I ever use this one  bear_angry you'll know I'm mad as a hornet caught in a bug box.  If you ever get that one from me, expect a follow-up PM or e-mail.  These two  :bday:  :cake: I like to use for a party in a post!  It's too bad they don't come with tootle horns and streamers or it would really be a party!!
bear_original  bear_original

Enough silliness for the afternoon though.  I need to get some work done!  Oh, and hey.....my doctor appointment went really well.  I got a shot in my arm and I need a biopsy.  And what about the ear ache?  That may be linked to my arm!  Confused?  That's okay.  You'll be just fine too!!
:crackup: HA!

Best and warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hey, Girl - you can't just leave us hanging . . . what kind of biopsy?  Or maybe you'd prefer not to post that publically, but biopsies are serious subjects.  Thank you for lightening the mood - we needed one of these.  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Aleta, I hope it's nothing serious. Take care.

Portland, Oregon
Website

Oh you sweet girlies!  bear_flower
Do not fuss over the silly little biopsy.  I'm not....so you can't.   bear_happy That's the way it is.  I've worked myself into a tiz over these things before and they've turned out just fine.   :dance: Besides, in two weeks I have family flying in from Boston and Alaska for Thanksgiving and I have a kajillion things to do as well as a Holiday Faire to prepare for.  There is no time to think unhappy thoughts!!  (Denial is a brilliant thing, isn't it?!!  Ha!) bear_whistle

Besides, I have more range of motion in my shoulder now due to that shot!!   And, I'm signed up for physical therapy!  Maybe I can skip surgery altogether!!  :bday: Yippee skippee!!  Now I'll be able to get a good night's sleep too.  Wahoooooo!  And by golly, I do think my ear ache/neck thing IS connected to my shoulder.  Who knew?
bear_grin  bear_grin

Make it a great weekend everyone!!   bear_original  bear_original   Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:  Aleta

Kingfisher Farm Teddies Kingfisher Farm Teddies and Folk Art
Illinois

Aleta I am so happy you got a not so scary diagnosis! You gotta make those houseguests help with the housework so you can heal!! Pam

kellydean k e l l y d e a n & c o m p a n y
Narrowsburg, New York
Website
Ellen Borggreve wrote:

Good suggestion, but even smilies and emoticons can't cover the true intentions and feelings sometimes. I have an extremely strange sense of humour and will say all kinds of stuff in real life that sound serious, but are meant as completely the opposite. It's who I am. I think I should have special elloticons made for me.... bear_rolleyes

When I just knew my now best friend she had to constantly ask if I meant what I said, but I hardly ever mean anything I say. I joke around all day long and I have to admit that 90% of the people totally misunderstand me. Ellen

lord love a duck, Ellen, we sure share this trait!  my mothers been telling me for years 'kel, you just don't say things like that to people'  - and I'm either, like, 'um' I didn't mean too' or 'I guess I do' 

so I too have learned the value of both silence and emoticons!

Board footer