Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

Hi all!   bear_flower
I bought a vintage faux fur coat a while back.  It has subtle but definite stripes of browns to beige to off white.   It also has about a one inch pile, maybe a bit longer, which lays in one direction.
I'm trying to cut out a 12 inch bear, but I'm having a heck of a time laying out the pattern. 
I'm starting with the head.  So I have two side pieces and a gusset.  The gusset and one side I had no trouble with.  It's the second side I can't seem to get matched up.  Either the pile direction matches up or the stripes, but never both, no matter which way I turn the pattern piece. 
Is there a way to match them up?  I hope I explained it clear enough. 
Thanks so much for any help you can offer ..or condolences, as I may not be able to make this work.
:hug:

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Hmmm. I deal with striped fabric all the time,  the problem with it though is there is a of waste.  Normally I would  lay the head pieces out one above the other  so you would have the stripe running down the side of the head.  The guesset I would lay above the head pieces and in such a way that the stripe was running right down the middle of the head.   I'm assuming here that there are distinctive stripes in the fur.  I do the same thing with the bodies and the arms I lay them out so that the strip runs down the middle.   If this is not the case then you may have to go to different area's of the coat to match up the head  pieces, try and find two areas that are similar in colour.  That's why I find there is a fair amount of waste when it comes to coats like this. 

Not sure if I make any sense or not  bear_grin  bear_grin , maybe someone else is able to explain it better.

big hugs and good luck

Shane

Gail P Walnut Tree Corner Bears By Gail
Suffolk

Hello bear_flower
Sorry you are having this problem. If you want the stripes and pile direction to match it is never going to happen with a three piece head because as you say the gusset will have to have either the pile or stripes going the wrong way. Had you thought of making your bear with a two piece head? this will eliminate the difficulty you are having in matching everything up as the stripes can be matched across the centre seam and the pile direction will be going in opposite directions falling away from the bears centre seam "parting" bear_original  I hope I have explained this properly, I know what I mean I am not sure I have explained it enough though.

Pacific Northwest

Thanks for your help, Shane & Gail! bear_flower

A center seam is a great idea, Gail.  It would make lining up the stripes easier.  I'll try that.  And Shane, yes, using striped fur (esp from a coat) makes for a lot of waste. 
I love using vintage coats, even with the waste element.  The coat I'm destroying at present, I'm happy to say ..was cheap. bear_whistle
But I think I flubbed up my original question. bear_wacko   So I'll try again..

The problem I'm having is with the direction of the pile.  It goes diagonally, across the stripes.  The stripes are not well defined, so they really don't need to be lined up exactly.  The direction of the fur, pile, is what's giving me grief.  I can't get the pile direction on the two side pieces to match.  I want them both going downward and toward the front of the head.  (If that made any sense.)  I can only get one side to go in that direction. 
I kinda have the pile direction "tamed" on the gusset, but not so with the side pieces, they're stubborn ..like me. bear_happy  So they need to be cut out correctly, to match.
Any ideas??? Or is this mission impossible?  bear_cry

Thanks again, so so much!!! :hug:

Waterloo, Ontario

bear_grin  bear_grin   It sounds to me like the pile goes in one direction and stripes in another ?   Hmmm you may have to go with a two piece head as Gail suggested.  I"m at a loss on this one   :crackup:  :crackup: .

Shane

Pacific Northwest

I can't picture it working, gusset or no.  The pile still goes in two different directions..
But I'll try it tomorrow, the two piece head idea, idea.  It's late and my brain is going numb.  bear_wacko
:hug:

Pacific Northwest

PS  Yup, Shane..
The pile goes one way, the stripes go another.
Goofy way to make a fur coat, if you ask me.  Don't they know one day a bear will emerge from it!  :D
Beddie-by time.   :hug:

Waterloo, Ontario

:crackup:  :crackup:   So true Laura,  Well it's really tough to fight the way the pile go, you are usually limited to following the nap of the fur or else you will just fight it .

Good Luck

Shane

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Will it work if you lay your head sides diagonally with the direction of the fur, the way you want it to lay. When I draw stripes on paper (the direction of the fur) that is what I see may work.  If you do a center seam with your gusset you could do that too if you have to.
Joanne

Pacific Northwest

Hi  Joanne
If I lay the head on a diagonal ..the stripes will go diagonally across the head.  I guess that wouldn't be as bad as having the nap going every which way..
which makes for a Jekyll and Hyde teddy.  :crackup:

I'll see what that looks like.
Thanks for you input!  bear_flower

Board footer