Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Kat Brierley Bears
Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Website

IMG_0997.jpgThis is my first attempt at dress making. The full outfit is made from a 1890s patterns for Whitby Gothic Weekend this October.

My friends at Blue Belle Corsets made my corset for me (the dress only fits with a corset, as it pulls my waist in an inch).

I finally got it all finished one day before we had to set off for Whitby.

Hope you like it.

Hugs,
Kat

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

You look great and the outfit is to die for, but what the heck is Whitby?  A renaissance-fair kind of thing, but with a Gothic twist?  Share a link for the event with us!

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Absolutely brilliant

my first attempt at dress making was a disaster. I had a friend finish it for me  bear_grin  You on the other hand look

sensational

Wendy

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

You've done a beautiful job. I can't believe it's your first try! The outfit is quite striking and you look terrific.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wow - superb first effort, Kat!  You look wonderful!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Wonderful effort,you look amazing.

Manuela Furry Critters
Website

Oh that is beautifull, I love black clothes  bear_wub  ( in the most time I only wear black) You looks so nice.

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Wonderful outfit Cat, I can't believe it's you first try.  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

but what the heck is Whitby?

Shel, Whitby is a coastal town located on the North East coast of England in Yorkshire.

Hugs, Jane.  bear_thumb  bear_flower  bear_thumb

LisaAP Arcas designs
Website

First attempt at dressmaking?? Surely not!! That outfit is amazing and you look fantastic in it.  :clap:

Regards

Lisa

ruth Flutter-By Bears
Staffordshire
Website

Kat that is brilliant - not to mention elegant , beautiful and amazing !! What a teeny waist !   bear_original

Am I right in guessing the event is set there because of Bram Stoker's Whitby setting in "Dracula" ??? When we visited we went right up
the cliff and round the church yard ; very suitably atmospheric ! You must have had admiring looks all day !  bear_thumb

Huggies , Ruth

Cat Gabriel Cat Gabriel Crafts
Melbourne, Australia

Stunning outfit!  Well done!!  :clap:  :clap:   I've been to Whitby once, absolutely loved it there  bear_wub

Kat Brierley Bears
Website

Thanks for all your lovely comments.

Whitby is a wonderful little fishing town in North Yorkshire (East Coast). Famous for it's abbey, this pic is from last October
IMG_2964_edited.jpg
It is my favourite place, it feels more like home than Barnsley, even though I have lived in Barnsley all my life.

Whitby Gothic Weekend is held twice a year, April and October. It has now been running for 15 years. They have bands playing over the weekend, and stalls (mainly clothes, boots and hair pieces). An artist we know, Anne Sudworth, always has a stall too, her artwork is beautiful (I have two prints of hers at home). You can see her artwork here www.annesudworth.co.uk.

It is a fantastic excuse to get dressed up. We get all dressed up through the day and wander around Whitby aimlessly for hours, having our photos taken by both professional photographers and random people. Then rest for an hour or so, then it's time to get all dressed up again and go to the pub.

There are lots of photos of people on here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/wgw/pool/page6/
This is a link to the events website: http://wgw.topmum.co.uk/

Hugs,
Kat

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wow, gorgeous abbey!  And it sounds like a ton of fun; cool people, interesting clothing, lots of art.  Near the coast!  Just one more reason I wish I were in England.  We don't have a lot of coastal abbey towns, here in California.  lol... !

Thansk for the links, Kat.  I'm off to check them out now!

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub  :clap: Great outfit, I wish I lived in the day when they wore that kind of clothes, and hats.  The abbey is beautiful, I would love to go there and dress goth, it would be such an experience.  Keep up the dressmaking!

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Oh that is SO cool Kat!!!!  You look divine!  :dance:

Kim Basta

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

What a wonderful job you did on your outfit, fabulous.  You look just terrific.  Glad you had such a great time.  The photographs are amazing.

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Your outfit is wonderful Kat and you look great all dressed up.

Hugs
Carolyn

Jack&Lilia Jack & Lilia
Gloucestershire
Website

Love the outfit Kat...you look fab!....love Whitby too!  bear_thumb
Lynne

Carolynn Teenytinyteddybears

how amazing. you good you. Not only is the dressmaking complicated and very well done, and you look stunning. Used to do alot of dressmaking and havnt for years. Busy on wedding stuff and so frustrated because I have forgotten so much. Going to keep sewing. It is such a good way of getting clothes you really like. So what you planning for the next one???

Kat Brierley Bears
Website

Thanks everyone.

I did get a lot of help from my friend Lynda (who made my corset). The instructions for the blouse were great, step by step.
The skirt and jacket instructions were more like a description of the garment. Thankfully Lynda has been making clothes for years and helped me figure out what I was supposed to be doing.

Just need a small bustle for it to stop it trailing too much.

My next challenge is to get a Victorian suit made for Rob, so that the outfits match. I have a pattern for another Victorian dress too. Plenty of time to get a few more things done ready for next October.

valewoodbears Valewood Bears
Yorkshire
Website

Hi Kat, that outfit is fabulous, well done  :clap:  :clap:  :clap: You look gorgeous. 

Pauline

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

Lovely outfit Kat bear_thumb  bear_thumb
Another Whitby fan here too-I go on holiday to North Yorkshire every year bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub
Laurie :hug:

Studio44 Studio 44
UK

Fabulous, congratulations on such a wonderful outfit.

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Dorothy

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

First attempt? Amazing! And you look fabulous in the dress! Have a great time.

puca bears puca bears

Absolutely STUNNING outfit Kat - huge congrats!!!!!!!!!!! And you look fabulous! :dance:  :dance:  :dance:
I'm another Whitby fan  - long-time lover of horror films and books, I once visited.............and wandering round the Abbey graveyard, thinking Dracula thoughts - there was an old and weathered gravestone, with a pure black cat perched on top. After taking a quick piccie I tried to make friends - NO WAY - this was a real FIEND!
Whitby must be a fantastic place for gothic w/ends - it is SO atmospheric!
huggies
Maria

Board footer