Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Natascha LeftyBears by Natascha Sabo
Remchingen

Winnetou3.jpgWinnetou2.jpgWinnetou4.jpgWinnetou1.jpgToday I would like to introduce you to one of the most popular characters in German literature:
Winnetou, the famous and brave chief of the Apaches, created by Karl May in the late 19th century.
Mr. May wrote several books about Winnetou, in one of them it says: "The native americans believe that in each grizzly-bear there lives the soul of a big warrior".
And then I just couldn't resist  bear_grin : A (almost) naturalistic grizzly dressed like Winnetou in the movies from the 1960s, which are still very popular here in Germany, together with Winnetous famous horse Iltschi.

Winnetou stands 33cm/13,2 inches from head to toe, he is made from wonderful synthetic fur, his costume is suédine embroidered with more than 11,000 small (1mm) Japanes seed beeds. And.... he is the biggest bear I've made in years.

Iltschi is the first horse I've ever made, he stands 39cm/15,6inches from head to hoof, he is made from hand-died viskose and completely armatured.

And if you should wonder about Winnetous missing feather: He never wears one, neither in the books nor in the movies because, according to the author, his charisma in so strong that he is being recognized as a big chief even without wearing a feather.
This might not be very realistic, but I like the message behind this which says: It's not the feathers (clothes,car, handbag etc.) that counts but the person.
So, my Winnetou doesn't have a feather either.

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Natascha he looks great well done

Plum Cottage Bears Plum Cottage Bears
Long Beach, CA

Plum Cottage Bears Cute Animal Ambassador

Horse and rider look wonderful.   Winnetou's costume makes him look every inch the chief.  And the armatured horse is something very special.  Well done!

Studio44 Studio 44
UK

A lovely bear on a great horse. Well done you!

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Dorothy

customteddys Custom Teddys
Juneau, Alaska

Very Inspiring. Thanks for all the explanations. I love your work!! bear_wub  Vicki

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

Hi Natascha
Winnetou and Iltschi are amazing!  ..and the amount of work you put into making them.
They are wonderful, as is their story!!! bear_wub

Remchingen

Thank you all for your nice words, I'm glad you like Winnetou and Iltschi.

momanimallover Taber, Alberta

bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb fantastic! bear_wub  bear_wub

baerenkinder baerenkinder
Freiburg - Black Forest

Hi Natascha - Winnetou and Iltschi are amazing, you make a great job bear_thumb  bear_thumb
I saw the films when I was young ( long time ago bear_grin ).
Super design - really  bear_thumb

Remchingen

Brenda, Ines, thank you , I'm glad you like them!

Board footer