Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

momanimallover Taber, Alberta

Since there is so many dog lovers here, does anyone have that underwire fencing? Dakota is digging holes all over the yard and is ruining it! I thought maybe that kind of fencing would be good to block off at least half of the lawn. We have a big back yard so... anyone know how good it works?

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

After one of my dogs was hit and killed by a car we purchased underground wire fence for the next puppy.  It certainly works but there are a few bad things too.   As you probably know the dog wears a collar which will deliver a shock to their neck if they come too close to the wire.  The collar is a bit bulky.  You have to train the dog with a rope and flags to teach them where the wire is, a little time consuming but necessary.  The fence does a fantastic job of keeping them in.   But my sister has one and her dog will go through it and then come home (hours later after he has pillaged the neighborhood) and not come back through it.  I think she did not spend enough time with the rope and flags.  I do not have it anymore at this house.  It trained my dog so well he wouldn't even leave the front door with out me.
Joanne

what breed is your dog Joanne? and your sisters? I plan on doing this in the Spring. Bernese dogs are supposed to be a sensitive breed so I'm hoping she catches on quickly, although all I notice with her is she is a very happy BIG puppy that doesn't care sbout to much! I swear she has hardly any fear, jusy a happy go lucky brat! bear_tongue

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I have a Boston terrier, my sister a black lab.  My sisters dog was really a runner before they got the fence, they have a 4 ft. wood fence that he would just jump over and then they added this too.  He just jumps over anyway, but won't jump back, he does not care about getting shocked.  My dog is a giant baby, and did not, and does not like any discipline at all so this was perfect for his temperment,  I would get a fence here in a minute if I needed too.
Joanne

ps  they do hear a beeping before they get too close, that is what stops them, but during training they need to be shocked a couple times to learn, that part is sad

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I work in a vet's office and will share a few cases that have come in or stories we've heard from clients in the 2 months I've been there then you can decide for yourself:

One dog, a lab, came in after having been in a terrible dog fight. The injured dog had an electric fence and was in his own yard, an unleashed dog came into the yard, cornered the lab and almost killed it as the lab had no way to escape w/o going through the electric fence which it respected and wouldn't do. A real fence would have kept the wandering dog out.

One woman's dog, a very sensitive and large mixed breed was so afraid of the electric fence after getting zapped just once that she wouldn't go into the back yard at all and ended up having to be taken on a leash out the front and the owner took up jogging to exercise the dog. There went a lot of money and time and the poor dog won't even go out in it's own yard any more. Very sad.

A guy with a bernese mtn dog has been searching for his dog for 3 months now... the dog, a pup of 11 months, went through the fence and never returned. The dog is skitish, likely was too afraid to come back into his yard for fear of being shocked again and off he went.

The veterinarian I work for is VERY against electric fences and electric training collars and two dog behaviorists we've been to with our own dogs are also very much against them. If you have to put your dog outside unattended and can't walk him daily to exercise him then put up a real, physical chain link fence. It's much safer.

One of our neighbors has an electric fence for her collie, she lives on the corner where all the traffic turns to come into our neighborhood. Well, the collie runs right out to the very edge of the property where the fence is and chases the cars along the property line. It scared one woman as she thought the dog was going to run right out in front of her so she swerved and hit a tree!

Another neighbor rescued a bassett hound and a beagle one day who were walking down a country highway 4 miles from town and looking exhausted and lost. She brought them home and called the number on their tags. Turned out the owner lived 8 miles from where the dogs were found and his wife didn't know the dogs were outside and had switched off the electric fence before going to bed the night before!!!

If I KNEW of any positive stories to share with you I would! Really!

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Wow, Daphne, those are awful stories. Our backyards have always been fenced and the gate always locked except when the lawn people come. I couldn't imagine having an electric-shock fence for our dogs especially after your stories.

hmmmm, I don't know what to do. I guess we could put up a chain link fence like a big play area for her, I just don't want her to start digging along the fence line. Can't a person control the shock? also I read to put their own feces in the holes because they don't like to dig where they smell their p--p, but what do you do if your puppy likes to well.....have her own things to eat? I've also went to an area in the yard just for her like they say to do and took the shovel and dug a hole, buried treats to encourage to dig in THAT hole but she prefers many holes! :pray:

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Totally not recommended.  I've heard plenty of electric fence stories, but like Daphne, no good ones!  Most commonly I hear about dogs learning they can run through the fence line, give a little yelp as they cross the barrier, and then run free.  I would also agree that a real fence helps protect your dog from other dogs / children / etc.  Might want to look into other means to discourage the hole digging, instead.

Best wishes,
Kelly

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

I would not recommend them, we live on a golf course and we all share the common back fence, we attached to that and fenced in a back yard for Tiffani. Everyone else in  our neighborhood has those electric things, they don't work well, the dogs are always getting out of them . I would not trust one.......I would try a wire type fence just to divide your yard, in the long run I think that would be the only thing that would really work well.

Angela Angela's Bear Garden
St. Catharines, Ontario

I used to have a hound mix, a natural digger and escape artist! I couldn't have her ruining the yard because I rent, but I also loved her enough not to want to lose her if she dug her way out. I put patio stones around the perimeter of the fence so if she dug, she couldn't get out. I also fenced in a smaller area of the yard(like a dog run) and put patio stones down in there so when I didn't have time to be out with her she could still get fresh air. It was also great in spring and fall, she wasn't muddy coming back in the house! bear_grin
After reading the bad stories of invisible fencing, I would rather stick with a real fence, and outsmart the dog with practical steps!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

When you have a chain link fence (or most any kind) installed you can have an additional 6-8" (or more) of the fencing put below the ground so if she does dig she'll have to go quite a ways in order to escape.

The hole digging can often be stopped or kept to a minimum. Though it's a natural activity for some breeds, others do it because they are bored, not exercised enough, not properly stopped or are sometimes inadvertently encouraged (by digging holes FOR her for example or giving her bones she wants to burry... or she's hot and needs a cool place to lie in) so you need to figure out WHY she's digging then to read up on ways to stop this behavior or contact a professional trainer.

You have a big dog there who was bred to have a job and is going to have a lot of mental and physical energy that needs to be used and burned off DAILY!! Exercise (being in the back yard isn't exercise) is going to be MOST important, first thing in the morning for 45 mins if possible, then she'll be better behaved for the remainer of the day. (My dogs use the treadmill when I don't want to take them for a long walk!)

Here is a website that addresses the common causes of digging and techniques to stop it. It's an easy read and offers lots of basic suggestions.
http://www.dog-obedience-training-revie … gging.html

When I looked up Berners they say they natural diggers :doh: I notice though that she never seems to get enough attention. We can walk her, play with her [when she's not biting hands and jumping like crazy] and she goes for car rides with us almost every day and she has toys, big sticks that she finds... and when we bring her in the house she gets bored right away and wants outside. I can see why they are mainly  outside dogs. She loves people and other dogs and I take her to play with her buddy Brutis for a few hours. It seems like she needs constant stimulation and attention! I'm almost thinking of getting another dog for her to play with that's a little bit older than her and is housebroken and likes cats! If only the cats would play with her...

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA
momanimallover wrote:

I'm almost thinking of getting another dog for her to play with that's a little bit older than her and is housebroken and likes cats!

WHen Tucker was a year old and it was clear I couldn't wear him out (he'd tucker me out though... lived up to his name!!!) we got another dog and it was the best thing we ever did. They play and play in their outdoor kennel (a 20' x 20' fenced in area in the back yard that I'm hoping we're going to make bigger next spring) and it wears him out and eliminated his separation anxiety entirely. Best thing we ever did!!!!

I know of two families with Bernies and both have two dogs. Hmm.....  you just be on to something!!

I'm really thinking about it, it's just convincing the other half that it might be best for Dakota. I'm the one that looks after ALL the animals so I don't see why it shouldn't be my choice. My daughter is supposed to be part owner but....of course the mother always ends up being the care taker! I was thinking about adopting a rescued dog that's about the same size as she will be or even her breed.
I was also going to tell you Daphne that the halti harness works wonders!!!! She hates it but doesn't pull near as bad as she used too. Thank the person who invented it! bear_thumb

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

If you have a fence already and are just using it to keep the dog out of one part of the yard they work great. If you are using it like a fence.. with no fence.. I would not recommend it. We had a problem dog who would climb a 6' chain link fence with barbed wire on the top and all the training and attention did not help.. if you left him for 5 mins alone in the yard he would climb the fence and get out... I would never have believed he climbed the fence if I didn't see it with my own eyes. We got the under ground fencing and attached it to the fence and it worked great. But just as a fence I don't think it would work at all... You can't keep things out or the dog will also learn to run right through it if the dog is willful and wants to get out. We have also used it when we had to store some things in the yard at work for the dog there.. the boss didn't want him eating the tarp for a building that had collapsed from snow.. it was down for a few months till they sorted it out with the insurance company and we couldn't risk the dog eating a $8000 tarp.. lol.

PeachtreeCottage Peachtree Cottage
Georgia
Website

I have some other recommendations for you in addition to putting up some sort of real fence.  The problem isn't the yard, it's the dog and his training.  You need to train the dog not to dig, not just confine him to the yard.  As noted by others the biggest issue with electronic fences is that the dogs will go through them to get out but not want to come back....this is not the desire result you are looking for.

The link below goes to a website with TONS of information on how to train your dog.  First and foremost, teach your dog that you are alpha and that you control everything he/she does and that he has to obey you.  The site below goes to a website with TONS of information by a worldwide recognized leader in dog training.  He has all kinds of free information on his website as well as videos etc for purchase if desired, but you can find out what you need there for free.  Also check out his forums for messages from people with similar problems.  There is lots and lots of good advice that does work!! 

I've not purchased anything from him but I have used his methods of teaching alpha and housebreaking that are freely available on his website.  Within 1 week my dog was about 98% housetrained, walked on a leash in heel position, would sit to have leash put on or taken off about %80 of the time, and would come when called.  The recommended methods are humane and done on a reward for good and correction (i.e. teaching what is correct, not punishment) for bad behaviour....and most importantly THEY WORK !

http://leerburg.com/

There's lots there to read but I suggest reading as much as you can then start training your dog that you are alpha and you do not allow digging in the yard.

Hope this helps you,

/bearhugs,

I will look at this site further bear_original There's so much information on what's good, what's bad, what you thought was bad is good and so on... it gets a little overwhelming. I guess we  or I should say I [ no one else here in my house does anything hardly which is a problem in itself] have to keep trying different things until I know what works for her. She is just going on 6 months old and I want to start the training before bad habits really form.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Find a professional dog trainer locally who isn't into just "Positive Reinforcement" (food reward for good behavior) but believes in the Alpha or "Pack Leader" theory as well. In order to understand the dog you have to think like a dog. In order to control the dog you have to act as it's pack leader and gain the dog's respect of your position as such. Only then can you truly get the behavior you desire from your dog. The Pack Leader's role is a 24/7 behavior/responsibility requiring calm consistency, patience and assertiveness. Find a trainer/behaviorist who will come to your home - it doesn't sound like Dakota needs socializing which is the only real benefit of group classes. She's already past the most "impressionable" age (8 wks to 4 mos.) when a puppy learns behaviors that will stick and take more time to correct so don't wait any longer!!

A good trainer will identify things that need to be corrected to make your daily life with Dakota easier and give you suggestions on ways to exercise her mind and body to help avoid unwanted behavior and show you how to correct it when she does misbehave. Even if you only have a couple of sessions with a professional it will get you started on the right track for your situation. The things you then read about training will make more sense and be more effective when you know how to properly execute the training techniques.

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Invisible fences work IF you train the dog properly...  IF.

It's not about the shock.  The collar works not on the principle of casing a lot of pain.  It works on IMMEDIACY of punishment.

If you were able to stand guard at the boundaries of your yard and yell at your dog every time he went past the white flags... the very MOMENT he strayed...  you could achieve almost exactly the same effect.

The electronic collar is designed to achieve that effect without the owner standing guard and to do it without fail.  That is why the collar works.

Yes it does hurt a little bit to get shocked but it's not supposed to be debilitating.  In fact, good electronic collars have adjustable levels so you can turn it down to match the size and temperament/sensitivity of the dog.  The BEST models of collars have buzzers in them to warn the dog BEFORE he gets shocked.

It is a fallacy to blame the collar for the fault of the dogs' owners.
The dogs got injured or traumatized NOT because of the collar but because the owner didn't understand how the thing works and probably didn't take the time to read the instructions that came with it.  Most of them come with DVDs and illustrated instructions!  You have to be pretty bad to hurt your dog like that, simply because you don't read and follow instructions.

A veterinarian is supposed to be a "Man of Science."
I understand how a vet could be against using collars to train dogs.  But I am surprised to hear of a person who is supposed to be educated placing fault on the product rather than the person who incorrectly uses the product.

That would be the same as blaming beer for causing drunk driving.  It's not the BEER's fault.  It's the fault of the idiot who got behind the wheel of the car after having too many beers!

Cathy Forcino Apollo Beach, Florida
Website

Hi Brenda,

My second passion is bears.  Dogs however, are truly my first passion and I've spent years reading and watching and attending shows and generally enjoying them as a hobby.  I thought about showing and breeding, and decided to simply own and enjoy and leave that to the pros.  I have a bit of knowledge I've be happy to share with you concerning Dakota.  There is a super-duper easy fix for his problem (unless he's a rat dog - is he?) and all it takes is dedication on your part.  No pain, no shocks, no expensive fences.  Just your time.  Dakota is digging because he is bored and frustrated and has pent-up energy.  He needs 2 things.  First and most importanly, he needs exercise.  By that, I mean he needs a power walk for at leat 30 minutes twice a day.  On a leash with no sniffing around.  Just walking with you in control.  He has way too much energy and is frustrated trying to spend it, so he digs.  Secondly, he really should be in the house with his people most of the time.  You and your family is Dakota's family.  Imagine having to stay outside by yourself all day with no one to "talk" to or interract with.  Same yard, day after day, all alone.  Dogs are pack animals and must be with people.  Many, many people make the mistake of just buying another dog to keep him company because they work full time and don't have the time to be with their dogs.  Huge mistake.  Now, all you have it 2 dogs that are bored and want to be inside with you.  They can help each other get into trouble as you will now have 2 little knotheads thinking up things to spend their energy on.  If you work, no big deal.  Just be sure and walk him out in the morning and when you come home again.  Crate training is a blessing and I've had 6 crate trained, litter box trained and very well behaved little ones.  I always keep the little tiny mops and currently my Baylee is a whopping 6 pounds.  However, she gets her power walk every single morning before breakfast.  If she has more energy, I'll roller blade with her in the afternoon and work those little legs.  She just loves it!   So, save your money on the fence.  Dakota is bored and fully of energy.  Good luck!  Here are a few pics of my little one.  An angel she isn't, so don't let the face fool you.  If she WAS an angel, I wouldn't NEED to walk her - haha.  She gets her leash for us when she's ready.
Hugs,
Cathy

img48685937.jpgimg48685984.jpgimg48685546.jpg

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

I will add my 2 cents worth. We have an electric fence, and Ti respects it. He has escaped through the back corner, why? because he heard thunder in the distance and needed to get away...... My concerns with the electric fence is more about other dogs/animals coming into the yard, and having a friendly dog who shows them the way into the house.! (my neighbor's dog)

I do have a doggie door so Ti can go in and out as he wants, a very nice thing. I do take him for a walk every (at least most) mornings. He loves to go out and sit in the sunshine watching people while I am bear making.  We have been working with him on the 'pack mentality' as far as barking and greeting people, it does work, but you need to train yourself as well as the dog  bear_original .

The biggest thing with any dog is training. You need to take the time required to train at the beginning and time to re-inforce the training as time goes on.

I would not have another dog without the doggie door and electric fence. I just hope any future dogs are as good and trainable as my Australian Shepherd, Ti.

Good luck, no matter how you decide to go.

Ellen

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

We have a shepard mix who is 10 years old and live on a dirt road in the  country. Lenny used to be a runner and we'd have to travel up to 10 km to get him home. 8 years ago we got a wireless electric fence (no buried wires) and he now has a large safe area to run in. My Dad took the time to train him properly and now he knows his limits. He's not left alone - there is always someone at the house.
For my three Boston's however - we have a large well-enclosed garden. Knowing their temperament I wouldn't trust a wireless fence.

Marion

Website

Hi Brenda,

I re-read your post and see you have a puppy there.  Oh how wonderful!  I'm sure he'll settle down as he gets a bit older as well.  If you do a bit of research, you can find a world of help with your particular breed.  A very good site is

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:-ve … cd=1&gl=us

They mention that these dogs are emotionally high maintenance, thrive on attention and can't stand to be left alone.  There are some great tips there.  Good luck.  I'll bet he's a beauty!

Thank you all for much needed advice! I did want a big baby that loves being with me and she's pretty much my baby. Being quite young yet I'm assuming she's like a young child and is well needy. I'm waiting for her to be fully housebroke until she can roam freely in the house, my other dog was a breeze [a shepard cross] but not this gal! also I'm waiting for her teething to completely be over with because she is very mouthy and we can hardly play nice when she's biting hands! We don't have to worry about shoes but our hands. She comes with me every time I go to town, she loves car rides and I take her for walks, but I won't go for walks when it's  -20 with a wind chill. She really needs a doggy door because she gets bored in the house so quick but with 7 cats I don't want the cats going outside. I am at home most of the time and when I go somewhere 80% of the time she goes with me. How can keep her occupied in the house when I have to clean and get my things done?? She whines when I have to block her off in the kitchen by herself and yet when she's outside by herself she's fine.
Thank you Cathy for posting that site, of all the research I actually missed that one bear_original I really don't think she's digging out of boredom, everything I have read about the breed is that they are real diggers and I should of did all the research before I decided on this breed but she's here now and very loved it's just getting the training done. I am very willing to show her the right way .I'm waiting for teething and housebreaking to be over with and I'm really trying to stop that jumping thing!! When you have a 58 pound pup jumping on you and kids it's not nice!
Please keep ALL tips coming on digging or any things that I mentioned above everyone! I feel like I have an unruly toddler on my hands! I get more advice here than I do on Bernertalk.
Also I'd like to add that our whole yard is enclosed with a 6 foot fence so I would only need a boundry on half of it. No other dogs can get in our yard and she can't escape bear_original

Website

You're  most welcome, Brenda.  I've trained a LOT of dogs and have trained friend's and family dogs as well as my own.  They all bring their puppies to me - ha!  Good tip for both mouthing and jumping that might work.  Dogs want attention.  If they can associate something they're doing that STOPS the attention, that usually corrects the behavior.  The best way to try and curb bad behavior (and everyone, including guests must be in on this one) is to turn your back and ignore the pup.  She jumps, you don't say a word but turn your back on her.  When she's down, you can face her again and praise her.  But, the second she jumps (or mouths, especially!) turn your back.  If you're sitting and she jumps or mouths, you'll have to play jack-in-the-box and stand up and turn your back on her.  Walk away if you have to.  They HATE to be ignored and LOVE to be included.  This is a ploy their mamma's will use on them when they're being a pest.  It's a good start anyway.  Praise and treats always, always work better than corrective measure.  In other words, praise and treat good behavior rather than punish bad behavior.  They don't think like human babies, so punishing almost never works.  Unless you punish in dog language (like stopping the play and ignoring).

By the way, would LOVE to see a picture of this pup.  It's one of my very favorite breeds.  Not one I'm willing to take on myself - haha.  I need the little portable guys with my lifestyle.  We travel a lot and have no back yard at all!  Our back yard is Tampa Bay - ha.

Hugs,
Cathy

water.jpg

Board footer