Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

nettie scotland
Website

It just dawned on me that my vegetarian message may offend in my signature.
I have been veggie for thirty years and it is a subject close to my heart.I was helping my daughter research for an essay at school and found this quote by pythagarus and thought it was very apt.
I also found some great ones by Edison ,Abraham lincoln and even Leonardo da vinci .I think making furry people makes me even less able to cntemplate eating them but that is my personal choice and I don't mean to sound preachie (if that a word)
Happy sewing
Diane xxx

Deb Upstate New York

Diane ~

No need for apologies.  This is a pretty accepting group of gals here ... where the focus is pretty much teddy bears and some personal stuff (we share joys, frustrations, disappointments) ... that kind of stuff ... not hard core religion and politics and such that would be divisive.

We don't mind at all if you're a veggie ... so long as you don't mind that others may think that PETA stands for People for the Eating of Tasty Animals.  See? 

It's all good.

Estelle Estelles canal bears and Tod Teddies
Todmorden West Yorkshire

Certainly doesent offend me I've been veggie for about twenty years. I dont wear leather shoes or animal skins in anny form. So I love your sig  :clap: Most of my friends eat meat and I wouldnt dream of preaching at them, each to his own  bear_grin

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Very nice of you to ask us about your signature.
I don't feel offended myself eventhough I do eat meat. I think everyone is free to decide what way of life to follow... If your choice is to be a veggie, this is your choice and I respect it... Actually, I would not kill animals myself even in order to eat them: I could not bear the poor animal's pain... Don't try to find where my logic is!!!  bear_wacko Strangely, i have never managed to eat horse meat as I love horses so much, but cows, lambs, pigs, chikens and rabbits are lovely too... But I have been used to such a way of life and just don't like the idea of stopping eating meat  :/.

Beary hugs,
Sophie.  bear_original

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

It doesn't offend me Diane, and I respect each person's right to make their own decision. I was a vegetarian for 7 years and only went back to eating meat because I craved it during my pregnancy - I believed my body was telling me something. Prior to that I had no cravings for it whatsoever!

Here's an unpalatable story from our current UK news (please, if you have a weak stomach don't click this): http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a … ge_id=1773. It raises some interesting issues.....  bear_ermm

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I dont mind what  anyone does as long as they dont force their views down my throat :)

:hug:

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Hellooo Diane,

I never get offended by things like that Diane - we are all entitiled to our opinions and views and it's a free country (i think everyone here on TT comes from one too) so we are allowed to express ourselves.
:lol:

I think you should only be allowed to eat chocolate between the hours of 12am and 12 pm but hey! that's just my opinion
(have i got that right? what i mean is you should be able to eat choccy 24 hrs a day)

Penny  bear_thumb  bear_wub

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

:hug:

I dont mind what  anyone does as long as they dont force their views down my throat

he he he  :P

I don't think Diane will force you to eat a nut cutlet if you don't want to Kim  :teddybear:

Penny

Deb Upstate New York
gotobedbears wrote:

I think you should only be allowed to eat chocolate between the hours of 12am and 12 pm but hey! that's just my opinion
(have i got that right? what i mean is you should be able to eat choccy 24 hrs a day)

Penny  bear_thumb  :love:

Well strike up the band for Penny!  Chocolate 24/7/365 ... whooooohooooo!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Diane,

Your comment fascinates me.  I, personally, am absolutely not offended by what you wrote.  I'm difficult to offend, but more than that, I thought your signature quote was intriguing, in and of itself.

It also sent my mind spinning.  Here's a retrace, all of which occurred in about twelve nanoseconds.

Upon reading your quote, I intuited that it meant you were a vegetarian, but it got me wondering whether that meant lacto-ovo, or just flesh foods?

I was amazed to read the quote itself came from Pythagoras, my old friend from geometry class, sophomore year, high school.  A2 + B2 = C2 and all that, right?  Or was that someone else's theorem... ?

Then I thought ... Hey.  That dude lived a long time ago.  (mind scrolls backward through time.)   I wonder how humankind and our world might have turned out differently if, in our early hunter/gatherer days, we humans had instead been just gatherers, minus the "hunter" part.  ?

That train of thought reminded me that the Atkins diet -- which espouses the remarkable diet concept: all meat, all the time -- makes the argument that the very reason this diet principle makes sense, is that it dates back to the earliest days in human evolution, when people did not eat refined carbohydrate to excess (like we do, esp. in America, now), but rather subsisted on high-fiber plant products which took hard work to grow and harvest, and on meat products, which required coordinated effort, strength, and endurance, to kill. 

All of which brought me back to Anthro 11, a class I took as an undergrad at UCLA... reminding me that there is a huge body of scientific knowledge that human beings evolved from apes ... but also that many people of faith don't really "buy" that assertion, despite the fossil record.

Which ultimately landed me at... it's said that the most primitive of our primate ancestors is the lemur.

And, now, of course, I must ask you all... Did you realize that lemurs can only be found on the island of Madagascar?

So, you see...

Pythagoras/vegetarianism ---> Madagascar/lemurs

Get it???

bear_original

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

It doesn't offend me at all. We're all entitled to our own opinions and if it is something very dear to your heart, by all means express it!

I'm in the same boat as Helena. I was a vegetarian for 5 years. Never once craved it, til I was pregnant. About 3 months in, I started craving it which led me to stealing my fiancee's chicken sandwich at lunch!

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Hmmm...just trying to figure what I used to eat when I was a vegetarian. No meat, no chocolate????  bear_grin

Todmorden West Yorkshire

ooooooooo Shelli you have made my head hurt, I think I can follow most of what you have said, its the speed you came to all that, that boggles the mind. I dont eat meat or dairy and dont wear leather or use anything that contains animal products, not sure what that makes me descended from but I hope its not anything nasty. My head hurts with all this thingking muast lay in dark room oooooooooooooooooooo   :redface:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

I think maybe it's less thinking, or intelligence, on my part, Estelle, than just absolute scatter-braininess.  How on earth does a person race from Pythagoras/vegetarianism (assumed) to the ring-tailed lemur?

I admit it.  I am a nutcase.

My husband and I, who often drive two hours each way to drop my kids off with their dad down south, often play a little game just like this.  We spend much of the time talking, but of course, given that it's a four hour round trip, adding up to eight hours (total) every other weekend, there are also necessary moments of contended silence.  Even I can't talk THAT much!

In the middle of those silences, we often ask one another, "What are you thinking about?"  And sometimes the answer is totally off the wall and unexpected, so we might follow it up with, "How did you get on THAT train of thought?"  And we've developed this ability -- if you can call it that -- to retrace how we got from A to B.  It takes amusing, amazing, hysterical turns sometimes... just like the process I described, above!  But frequently, even more interesting.

You should try it sometime.  It takes a little work at first, but it's kinda, oddly fun.  And really gives you a lot of insight into how your loved ones actually process things!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

LOL - Shel, you crack me up!  :hug:

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

The square on the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares on the other two sides.......

Live and let live is what I always say...that and the above...me being such a whizz at maths...

I'm off for a cup of Rosie Lee

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Bleech! no more math please! LOL

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Can someone tell me why I keep getting 2 messages posted even though I clicked only once...is this Pythagoras Theorem at work?

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

HAHAHA!  It just happened again!

I have no idea why, but you can DELETE your own post by clicking DELETE in the bottom right corner.

Maybe something to ask Quy, Jenny?, in the TECH forum?

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Did you log on twice???

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Goodness, golly, gee whiz, wow . . . what a thread!  I have absolutely NO objections to vegetarians - both of my daughters are!  My hubby Paul and I still eat chicken on occasion, but not much (if any) red meat.  I have heavy duty cholesterol problems.  Jenny's philosophy of "live and let live" is one I mostly go by also, so each of us is entitled to his/her own lifestyle. 

Shelli . . . very interesting train of your thought processes!  Paul and I also go through steps of how one thought leads to another and another and another - until you get to an entirely different subject from what you started with.  (I know one isn't supposed to end a sentence with a preposition, but stating the correct sentence form sounds too formal - ugh!)  Anyhoo, fun stuff!

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

I had no idea that we had so many vegetarians on the board!  I've been a vegetarian since the age of 10.  I'm lacto-ovo though.  I can't live without cheese!  But I do really try to buy the rennet free kind... I'll eat the other in a pinch, but if someone says or does something to remind me that it contains rennet, I just can't eat it anymore.  And eggs... can't stand them on their own... I can eat them if they are well disguised though... as in a brownie or something!  I do however, wear leather... and I do prepare 99% of the meals around here... almost all of which contain meat!  I just can't personally ingest the stuff!  I think my vegetarianism stems mostly from the ballet as well as my own personal squeamishness!  I'm not political about it in the least bit, but I certainly do respect others who are. 

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original No offence at all, Diane!

However, even if humans stopped killing animals, I doubt that they'd stop killing one another, alas.  :(

Sheesh, Shelli--I can't even get my husband to explain how to turn on the furnace!

Eileen

nettie scotland
Website

I am glad I didn't offend.I like your train of thought Shelli.
I was a power lifter way back when and people used to ask how I could do it being a veggie .I just told them to have a look at a gorilla who is almost 100% veggie (I think I even looked like one!!)
Making bears is far more sedate although when I made really big ones (up to three foot) the joints took a fair bit of strength
I would love to try and make a great big one  again but I think I love making wee ones too much.
I am trying to finish a smaller version of the wee bear Chutney tonight.So far so good but the eyes are failing and I keep stabbing myself.
By the way Shelli I think your bears have wonderful muzzles.See I can have random thought too!

Todmorden West Yorkshire

Oh now I really am in awe apart from being a fellow veggie i lift weights to keep the ostio away my mum had it very badly and i dont want the same problems.  Im 61 and no signs yet so hope its working.  :dance:

Board footer