Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

A bit over 15 years ago I was quite ill and my weight sky-rocketed out of sight due to medication and as I'd never had a weight problem I continued to eat as though I was still doing my high calorie burning activities instead of basically bed ridden. The fact that I have continued to have ill health and am basically clumsy (well sort off) have seen my plans to lose weight hi-jacked time after time (torn ligaments, ripped muscles etc etc)

So when Lara started school 3 years ago I have always been worried that she might be teased over the fact that I am overweight and also 10 years older than most Mum's. (I was 41 when she was born) I fully intended to keep a low profile at the school but that went out the window this year as the teacher found out I had studied Speech and Drama for some years and asked if I would be willing to work with the kids doing drama......so I was in the class twice a week helping with reading and coaching the kids to act and putting on short plays.

Next came craft......would I be willing to help and organise a project for the class....I chose a pompom type doll/clown and took my sewing machine in and all the kids had a chance to sew two seams on the cloth body. I made the big pompoms for the head and bought others but they all made one small one.......I had heaps of buttons and trim and they all sewed these on the body by hand.....another hour in the class room for 2 terms helping them all to finish. Not to mention the the hours I put in at home doing some of it for each of them.

Lara did mention at the end of term that some of the girls told her "Your Mum rocks." which I thought was ok but as this was basically from her friends I did think they were just being nice to Lara.

Today at the local shopping centre I passed two of the boys from her class and they both ran up and greeted me, one of the boys was visiting the other. Finally their Dad caught up and I said good bye to the boys and went to move on......I heard the Dad ask the boys who I was. The answer was "Oh that's Lara's Mum she soooo coool......she helped us put on the best plays" then the other boy interrupted with "And the really neat clown we made...Mondays were the best day at school in the end." I had to pause and look in a shop window so I could eavesdrop then as the boys told the Dad all the great things they did and learnt with me at school and how much fun they had. They were especially enthusiastic about the the sewing machine!!!

Well I nearly needed a sunroof to fit my head in the car after that ....... now if I can only retain the rep of being one of the coolest Mum's. Who cares about a bit of extra weight......I can do things the skinny Mum's can't!!!

Though I still intend to lose that weight this year!!!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

That's a very special and uplifting story, Sandra!  Hooray for you for agreeing to help those kids learn and have much fun at the same time.  I'm so glad you eavesdropped on the conversation!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

I loved your story Sandra and it proves how much children just love a little attention from adults.  If you show children some respect and give them your time, you will always win them over.  You must have felt just so good.  Lara must be so proud of you.   :hug:  :hug:

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

What a great story Sandra, I would be floating hearing the kids thought I was so cool. That was great getting in there teaching craft with the children. I worked a school with children with special needs and they loved their craft lessons, it was then that I saw the biggest smiles on their faces.

Hugs, Jane.  bear_thumb  bear_flower  bear_thumb

Board footer