Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi there.
     Hubby bought me with a new Imac computer with a 24 inch screen, for Christmas.  I should be happy, right?  I don't mean to sound miserable, but I sort of liken it to me buying him a car, when I don't even drive.  He got a Macbook last summer and I've played around on it to make the Ibooks I did for Christmas, but I found it diffiult to use.  We were in the Apple store before Christmas and I commented that since they are supposed to be better for artwork and graphics and when my Dell computer dies, I would "think" about getting one - well, I guess I should be careful what I wish for!!!! I actually found out about it by accident "before" Xmas, and thank god I did, because I was able to do a "isn't this wonderful" reaction - I'm not good with big surprises and I'm not sure what my reaction would have been, if I hadn't  already known about it.   Personally, I'd like to take it back-I coulld buy three Dell computers with what the Mac cost,  but I know that would really upset hubby.  He has paid for some one on one time lessons, but I'm so frustrated about the situation, I haven't done anything yet because I am not a visual learner and I'm afraid I will snap at the poor instructor.  What I need is a manual that I can learn from - why cant they inlude an instruction manual????

Anyway, for those of you that have them, do you like it and how long did it take you to get used to it.  For my OCD personality, it's not the big things that it can do that will make me love it, it's the tiniest little things it doesn't do that will definitely make me despise it even more and I've already found some extremely annoying things about it ie I have to change the text size EVERY SINGLE time I get on it.  Why can't it just leave it at a larger size - STRIKE ONE!  I loathe the way the picture storage program is set up - makes no logical sense to me at all and I am definitely a logical person  - STRIKE TWO.  If you press the space bar, it takes FOREVER to get to the middle of the page to sign my name on a letter or teddy-talk. STRIKE THREE!    I don't like the monitor.  It's on a pedestal with all of the hardware in the bottom, which raises the viewing part even higher.  I'm so short that even with buying a new desk, and my chair raised as high as it will go, it's too high and my neck is sore from looking up all the time.  Anyway, I don't know what to do.  Anybody have anything brilliant to say about Mac's that might change my mind because I'm ready to junk it?

Hugs,

Brenda

momanimallover Taber, Alberta

I don't have a Mac but I have heard numerous times that alot of people have problems with them and that they aren't compatible with alot of things. I have an HP laptop which I have had ALOT of problems with and yet I've heard their so great! My DELL desk top is FANTASTIC and I've had nothing but great use on that one and Dell always has someone to go step by  step through if you have problems and will have it picked up for you if any problems are found and deliver a new part or whole computer, no hassles with warranty. I LOVE DELL bear_happy  Sorry can't help you with your Mac someone here has one I'm sure bear_original  plus I'm terrible when it comes to figuring out something new, I prefer the familiar bear_happy

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I think Bobbie has a Mac and loves it.  She hasn't been on for awhile, but maybe she'll see this and tune in.  I, for one, will stick to my pc . . . I'm really too old to learn new tricks.

Kidsandteddy The kids and teddy too
Lincoln Ca.

Brenda,
Well I do have a Mac computer. It is a desktop and I got it about five or six years ago. I am not sure what to tell you because I use my Dell most of the time. I have a Dell laptop and really like it. There are some things that the Mac does that I like better but for me it seems as though the programs that I am used to working with on the PC are not compatable on the Mac. And also I don't like the way you save things on the Mac.  :doh:  really confuses me. So sorry I could not help much. There is one thing that I heard that you can do is get a program for the Mac that makes it PC compatable.
Maybe the lesson will help. Don't give up..

Hugs
Bonnie

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hi Brenda,

Oh, oh, oh, this is where a war begins!!!!  Only joking!  bear_grin  I LOVE MACS!!!!   bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub I have used them for around twenty years with only a few tiny problems in that time and find them so much better to use than my pcs.  You have just got to go along with it all at the moment and you will learn to love it!  Here are some helpful pointers before you throw it out the window:

Firstly, it doesn't sound as though you have things set up correctly for your use anyway.  Find your "System Preferences", (if you are looking at the docking bar, it looks like an apple in a rectangle with a "switch" on the left of the apple) or you can find it under the Apple logo top left, and you can alter all sorts of things there to do with the appearance of everything and the behavious to your liking, i.e. monitor set up, desktop screen, default settings, default font, how the keyboard and mouse work, cut off times, sounds, CDs, everything really.  Under "Finder" you will find another Preference file which alters other things. I know there is another area too which I canot think of right now, but will let you know when I do!! 

The Operating System will probably be totally new to you and they always need a little time to get used to.  I find I just get used to one operating system, then my hubby will change it to the latest version and I pull my hair out for a couple of hours, but it doesn't take long to adapt.  I use PCs as well, but the beauty is that with the new intel processors, we are running a Mac and a PC from the same unit.  Needless to say the PC is mostly redundant and is only used for my embroidery software and Google Earth!  Obviously different quality graphics cards make a huge difference, along with different programmes you are using, but I find Macs to be top quality and produce brilliant work.  If anything, I think PC are trying to become more like Macs these days and I don't find the differences in using them a problem. 

What I am trying to say is that basically your Mac has not been set up right for you so please don't go slagging off your Mac just because of little things that can be changed right from the start.  You can make the Mac work for you, and do what you want it to do.  I promise you will come to absolutely love it.  You probably haven't found the quick ways of working around what seem like irritating aspects at the moment, but which will seem totally brilliant when you realise what their intentions are.  I felt infuriated when we changed to one particular operating system (Panther or something like that) but then suddenly loved it.

Unfortunately there are way too many people working in computer type places and stores that really contradict each other with regard to Macs.  and are not as knowledgeable on Macs as they are PCs.  We have had people tell us that something is not possible to do on a Mac when we are already doing it at home!  It all depends on how knowledgeable your advisor/seller is and apparently what  commission they also get for selling a particular PC! !  Go to an Apple shop, and hope you get a good assistant.

Stick with it!!  If you end up hating it that much, throw it my way!!!  He!  Good luck Brenda, just sit down with it with a nice drinky (or two!!  bear_wacko ) and play.  If you are feeling as though you are about to start a battle with it, then nothing will go right.  Get someone to set it up for you or do it yourself so that you learn to appreciate the finer parts of your Mac and just enjoy!!!

Whoops, nearly forgot, .. to get to the middle of your page quickly, just use the tab button!

If I think of anything to help, I'll let you know, but good luck!!

Now Brenda,   repeat after me  ....... "I love my Mac, I love my Mac, I love my Mac, I love my...............!!!!!!!)

See, you're getting there already!!!   bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_thumb

Hugs,

Marilyn bear_flower  bear_flower

Marilyn
     Where might one find a "Tab" button, because I have no idea which one it is or where it's located.  I've been all through the system preferences and can't find anything that mentions text size.  I've been changing it the way I do my PC - under the View tab at the top left of the monitor where it says "make text bigger". It changes it, but goes back to small when I get off the internet, which is driving my crazy!  I've stopped using the Mac - it's too frustrating.  I really need written instructions -  the only way I can learn is through reading.

hugs,

Brenda

Angela Angela's Bear Garden
St. Catharines, Ontario

Wow, nice gift. I would love to have a Mac and learn on it. I know some people that have them and they love them. The only reason I don't have one is money! Go to the library and get a book on learning how to use it. Maybe "Mac for dummies" or something similar. The "for dummies" books make everything easy to learn. I'm sure your local library will have lots of reference books on the subject. I love the library for research. It's much cheaper than buying the wrong book! Have fun! Hang in there...you will likely love the Mac when you figure it out!

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Hi Brenda,

I have had  a Mac now for about 15 years and would not go back to a PC.

Once you get the hang of your Mac I am sure that you will love it.
I am sure that the place you bought it from would be happy enough to help you with setting it up if you have any questions.

The tab button can be found at the left hand side of the keyboard, 3 down from the top.

Best of luck Brenda and I am sure you will like it when you get used to it.
I think the best things to do is play around with it and you will find where everything is.
Let us know if there is anything else we might be able to help you with.

Hugs
Carolyn

ps. The best thing about a Mac is you will be less inclined to pick up nasty virus's
that seem to do the rounds.

Good luck!  bear_flower

Hi Carolyn,
     Thanks for the info on the Tab button - found it, but it doesn't take me to the middle of the page so I can sign my posts.  It brings me back up the top of the Teddy talk page??????   Anyway, thanks for the posts and info, but I'm seriously thinking of having Windows installed on it to save my sanity LOL!

P.S.  I'm no longer signing "hugs" as it takes too damn long to get to the middle of the page ! bear_angry

Brenda

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Hi Brenda,  I don't have a Mac but envy you so much as you have our dream computer.  When our systems die we will be getting exactly what you got.  It will be frustrating at first  because a Mac does not operate like a PC at all but they operate so much better than a PC.  Trust me once you get on to it you will love it, everyone I know who has one loves it, some people it took a little longer to catch on.  Remember that they are different operating systems and they do things differently, you are use to using a PC , it's like going from a bicycle to a high end sports car.  When it comes to photo's and stuff like that you can't beat a Mac, for doing stuff like that.   

Just stick with it and you will get it,  isn't it funny as I'm a visual learner I hate having to use a manual to learn from I prefer to have someone show me .

big hgus

Shane

Us Bears Pennsylvania

This idea of "incompatibility" is nothing but a bunch of fluff!

Anybody who says one computer system is not compatible with another either doesn't know what they are talking about or else they are a liar.  Period.

I manage about 15 computers for the place I work.  There are PCs running Windows XP and Windows Vista.  There are Macintosh computers.  I have computers that run Linux.  I even have one machine that runs on Microsoft DOS.
I personally own four computers.  One is Windows ME.  One is Linux.  Two of them are Mac OS.  I also help other people in my family with their computers.  My Mother's computer runs on Linux.

If computers were incompatible with each other I would know it.  I rarely have problems sharing files and information between computers of different types.  When I do the problem is solved by making a simple adjustment about 95% of the time.  I only have real difficulty sharing information between Macs, PCs and other types of computers about 1 or 2 times her year.  Even then, I can barely remember a time when I couldn't figure out a solution.

Microsoft has a vested interest in promoting the belief that using anything else except Microsoft-based systems will cause your computer to malfunction.  IF they didn't lie to you like that people will stop buying their junky product.  They would lose money.

Apple is little better.  They would have you believe that the only thing you need to do is switch to Macintosh computers and the heavens will open, the angels will trumpet and your life will suddenly get better.  That's about as much a lie as the crud Microsoft tries to feed us.

Computers are nothing more than machines.  They require an operator with enough intelligence to read instructions and follow directions.  But, for some reason, people tend to think there is something "magical" behind that display screen that will make life fine if only we know the right incantation.

There is an old computer geek joke:  When somebody asks them why their computer won't work, we reply, "Error exists between keyboard and chair."
This is the source of about 95% of all computer problems.

I'm sorry to rant like this but I think it is necessary to shake people out of their old habits before you can teach them new ones. 

This is the point I would ultimately get across: 
Learning to use new computer systems is nothing more then learning new habits...  Unlearning old ones and learning new ones.

I don't want to hear people complaining that they "have to" use one kind of computer system or that they "can't learn" another system for one reason or another.  My MOTHER uses Ubuntu Linux on her computer at home.  Trust me when I say, if my Mom can use Linux ANYBODY can!

She used to have a Windows computer but she caught a virus and it wiped out her hard drive.  I couldn't repair the problem and she didn't have the original disks that came with the computer to restore it.  The only options she had was to buy a new computer or to clear the decks and install Linux.

I installed the new operating system the day after Christmas.  She hit the ground running and she's been going "great guns" ever since.  Now you couldn't convince her to go back!

She had a couple hundred digital pictures stuck on her digital camera that she couldn't download because she couldn't get the camera to work right with Windows.  Once I installed Linux she was able to download all those pictures and put them on the computer.  Now she's sorting through them and uploading them all to www.flickr.com.

So, if you try to tell me you can't use one computer system over another because it's "incompatible" or because you claim you can't learn a new system, I'll point you to my Mother who is using a computer converted from Windows to Linux to happily upload digital pictures and share them on Flickr.
:D

BTW:  If you have a specific question on how to make your computer work, let me know.  I'll do what I can to help.  bear_original

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

Hi Brenda,

Please, Please, Please don't give up. I switched to a Mac about 2 years ago and I've never looked back. I think it took me about 3 or 4 days to fully get the hang of it. I have a Macbook Pro for my personal laptop, but I have to use a Windows PC for work. The  Mac has never given me any problems but I cus the Windows PC daily. I do have a program called Parallels installed so that I could use Windows in a Virtual Machine as this was cheaper than buying a new version of Photoshop and some other Windows programs that I have. I'm now thinking of switching to VMWare as I heard it runs faster.

I agree that you just don't have the Mac setup properly. Do you have an Apple store near you? You can setup an appointment with someone in the store who can help you set it up the way you want it. They also give free classes on stuff you can do to make learning the OS easier.

If you need any other help just send me a PM and I'll be more than happy to try and help you.

Hugs,

Hello Us Bears, (sorry I don't know your name)
     I do not want to seem like an ungrateful person and I know my hubby was doing something he thought would make me happy BUT I would never ever buy an expensive gift like this without getting input from the person.  If I had been allowed to do what I had expected, I would have done a lot of research, and probably bought "Macs for Dummies" BEFORE ever purchasing a Mac.  I would have made sure I understood the operating system to see if I liked it before purchasing this computer, and in all honesty may never have made that decision.  I have an little Asus computer that runs on Linux and have had absolutely no difficulty with it. 
      I'm glad you can run a zillion different computers but everyone is different.  I have spacial and visual learning problems and and an overfocusing type of Attention Deficit, along with an OCD personality that does not like change.  I spent four weeks putting together an Ibook on hubby's Macbook at Christmas time and I cannot grasp the photo storage program on the Mac, nor do I like it, even with my sister helping me (and she has always been a Mac user).  Quite honestly, I could have happily taken a baseball bat to the Macbook, but the stubborn part of my personality would not let it go.  I am definitely not a stupid person - I was in high school at twelve years old, but with visual difficulties and the fact that I spend most of my time on the computer playing with photos and altered art, things have to make sense to me and so many things on this computer do not.   As for unlearning old ways, I have no intention of giving up my Dell computer, so it would be a question of being happy with both computers.  I'm in panick attack mode, thinking of going to the lessons, because I have so much trouble learning visually.  I just want a manual that covers everything so I can try and learn on my own and if I don't like it then thank god, the Macs can now also run Windows and I can switch it!! 

Brenda

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Dear Brenda,

I have got Mac computers too and always had Mac computers at home. I love my iMac even if it gets a little old and my iBook.
I had to learn working on PCs too at work and I have to say it has been a little hard at the beginning as in my mind the way it worked was not friendly at all. then i eventually got used to it, but i still prefer my iMac (tastes and colours are different foe everybody, hehehehehe).

I know we do not all learn the same way and thinks appently obvious for one person can look almost impossible for other people.

I just hope you will find the perfect book(s) to explain you how your new Mac works and that you will eventually learn to love it.

Some applications exist both for Mac and PC and barely work the same on both, but this is all the rest you will have to get used too!!! Take it easy and please, do not give up too early.

Good luck Brenda! Oh, and please, if you need some help concerning your computer, I may be able to help.

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hi Brenda,

Me again!!  The tab key is on your keyboard on the left and probably has an arrow on it pointing to the right, you would use this for going from one tab setting to another to take you in steps across the page.  Another thought, under the System Preferences that I talked about before, if you go under the keyboard and mouse section, you can alter the timing for repeating key times, and you will be able to increase the "repeat" rate for your keying.  This may help your spacebar problem.

I totally agree with Us Bears and thebearguys, and all their comments.  bear_thumb  But as you personally have specific problems with spacial and visual difficulties, then maybe the change will not be as easy for you.  I love reading technical manuals myself and hate it when someone tries to "show" me how to do something, I like to learn by reading, trial and error, so I can understand how you feel there.  I will try and search out a good Mac book that may help, or alternatively, your dealer where your Imac came from would probably be the first choice as they may have something there that would be brilliant for you.

I can "feel" the frustration you are feeling by the way you have written your posts!!!  bear_angry  bear_angry  bear_angry  Please don't worry.  It will all be fine in the end, you obviously didn't repeat my little "mantra"  enough times!!!!!! bear_grin

Take care!

Hugs :hug:

Marilyn bear_flower  bear_flower

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

In my old CS training days, I switched constantly between UNIX, Linux, Macs and Windows machines, depending on what class I was in.  None of them are a big deal in the long run, it's just a matter of getting used to the differences.  As far as Macs being better for art and graphics, well, that depends.  If you're planning on noodling along in a graphics program, ANY relatively current computer today should be able to handle that job admirably.  Now if you were planning on doing something really taxing to your system like 3D animation, I'd have a different answer.   And if you were planning on doing hardcore interactive online gaming, I might have a different answer again.  For routine graphics work, stick with whatever makes you happiest, I sincerely doubt you'll notice a performance difference from one machine or operating system to the next.  I think we all have enough stress in our lives as it is!  If you want to learn to work with the Mac, I have no doubt that you can, and might even learn to like it.  But if it's really causing you grief for whatever reason, I'd recommend a return instead.

Best wishes,
Kelly

Gail P Walnut Tree Corner Bears By Gail
Suffolk

Hi Brenda,

I have used a mac for ages, but I know exactly what you mean about changing computers, it becomes very disorientating. Even when my little old blue iMac gave up and we got another mac, I felt awful for a few days as the operating system was an upgrade also and it all seemed to change. My husband (who is the computer savvy one in this household) just said to me ,have a play around with it see what it can do, you won't hurt anything, and that's what I did. I love my mac and the fact that you don't get all the viruses like you do with PCs.I suppose that at least if I want to do something, and I am not sure how to, I just have to ask hubby and I know he will know, but if you hit any problems and are not sure, just send me a message and I will ask him for the answer. I am sure you will love it after having used it for a while(but as others have said ,it sounds as though it needs to be set up for you personally)
Good luck and don't give up with it yet :hug:  :hug:

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Thumper;

I don't mean to yell so loud but I work in a theater.  In my line of work, you often have to shout and pound your fist on the table a couple of times before people sit up and take notice of what you are trying to tell them.  You have to push people out of their "comfort zone" before they will expend the energy to do things a different way.

Okay?   bear_flower

For the record, I have A.D.D. and dyslexia.
I once had a roommate in college who had O.C.D. and had to "double touch" everything he did or else he would drive himself nuts obsessing about whether or not he locked the door or turned off the lights... etc. etc. etc.
I'm sure you know the type.

The main secret to learning anything new is to divide your tasks up into small "chunks" and to learn them one at a time.  This is especially important if you have a learning difference like A.D.D., such as I have.

I divide my day up into little 15 minute blocks.  I set myself on a task.  When I find my attention wandering, I look a the clock and set a time limit for myself.  I say something like, "Okay, it's 10:50 AM.  I'll work until 11:00 and go do something else for 15 minutes."  Then, when I finish the OTHER 15 minute task, I come back to my original job and work for a while longer.  That's how I structure my day.

In order to keep myself focused on the jobs I have to get done on any particular day, I just keep a little notebook with my "task list" in my pocket.  I check things off as I get them done.

Some people think it's a quirky way to schedule my day but, for me, it gets the job done.
There are a lot of people who use "Day Timers" to schedule their work day.  They aren't considered quirky.  The only difference is that my day is divided into smaller chunks than most people.

If I may suggest...  Try dividing up your computer learning into smaller short-term tasks.  Maybe 15 minutes at a time.  See if that doesn't help you learn.

It took me almost 40 years to figure out that I had A.D.D. and how to deal with it.
If a mean, old guy like me can learn new stuff anybody can!  bear_laugh

Thanks for all the posts and offers of help - I really appreciate them!  I feel a bit better this morning as I had a lovely PM from Gijzette with links to two books on Macs on Amazon - one is a "missing manual" and the other is a book on transitioning from PC's to Macs.  I've ordered them both!  We are on holidays this week, so I hope they come fast, so I can read them both before doing anything else with the computer.  Just knowing I will have something in print, to read and refer to has eased the panic feeling.  Hope they can explain some of the basics.  I really want to "know what I'm doing" and have a list of specific things I want to know, before going in for a "one on one".  Wish me luck.

hugs,

Brenda

Hi Us Bears,
     Okay  bear_flower  bear_flower
     Now I'm laughing because I could have written your post!  My ADD is an overfocusing subtype and when I am doing something I enjoy, it takes a crowbar to get me to stop, but for the rest of the day I do exactly what you do
I set small goals for small time limits as it's almost impossible to stay on task.  I'm a constant clock watcher and will give myself 10 or 15 minutes to get an uninteresting task done and sort of go into overdrive to do it.  And "lists" you say - I could not survive without my lists.  The last thing I do, before going to bed is write a list of everything I need to do the next day and then check them off as I go LOL! 
     ADD is rampant in our family and we are almost all females.  My sister and I were both diagnosed around the age of 50 and my daughter was 20.  How I wish I knew about it when she was a child - it would have been a different life for her.  Anyway, I have my books on the way and I am jumping for joy.  Once I read the books and understand the set up, THEN I will start to play and see what I can learn.  I will use the "one on one" sessions to clear up difficulties I run into. rather than relying on them to teach me everything.   I will let you know how I make out.  Take care. 

hugs,

Brenda

Us Bears Pennsylvania

People with A.D.D. are natural autodidacts.

When people ask me what "autodidactic" means I tell them it means I found a dictionary and looked up the word "autodidactic."   :dance:  :doh:
(It means "self-educated.  bear_happy )

Seriously, now...
People with A.D.D. are better at learning things if they are allowed to teach themselves.  If somebody tries to teach you something they won't get anywhere if they try to force you to do it their way.  The best way to teach a person with A.D.D. is to give them a short, 15-30 minute tutorial on the information they want to present then allow the person to ask questions.

People with A.D.D. are usually the type "latch onto" new ideas very quickly but have trouble following through with the necessary practice and rehearsal that it takes to make the new information "sink in" and become part of your brain.

The way to get around that is to allow the student do it their own way.  The teacher's job should be simply to keep the student "on track" but not to try to force her to learn things in a particular order.

If you can find a teacher that can do that, you might discover that you will be able to learn new things in about 1/2 the time it takes other people.  But if you get a teacher who goes by the old "rote learning" concepts you might end up feeling like you're never going to learn.

Long story short...  Buying those books is probably the best thing you could have done!  bear_laugh

Yes, I think so, too!   I loathed school even though I skipped grades and was good at it.  I couldn't stand all the people and I always wanted to drop out and take correspondence courses, which my parents wouldn't allow.  It's too bad because I scrambled to fast track and finish as quickly as possible to get out as I could not tolerate the classroom environment.  I was two years younger than everyone else and very small and was anti-social to begin with along with major self-esteem problems.  If I had been left to learn on my own, and study things I was interested in, I might have gone on to university as I still love to learn.    At least kids today that are identified and have some chance to learn in their own way.  We have a son who I know has ADD but he refuses to be tested and acknowledge that ADD is even "real".  He has however, been excellent at keeping his life simple and doing exactly what he wants to do, so he has done okay.  He literally walks away from anything that causes him stress and his "loner" lifestyle has enabled him to do that.  Hubby worries and thinks he's lonely but I think he is happiest when on his own. 

Brenda

minkbears Vintage Mink Bears by Kathy Myers
Lakewood CA
Website

Brenda, I just wanted to wish you luck with your books to learn how to use your new Mac. I hope that once you learn how to use your Mac you will love it. I'm a Mac user and I think that they are great! Best Wishes.
Hugs
Kathy

Thanks Kathy - I'm excited now that I've found the books!

hugs,

Brenda

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Dear Brenda,  bear_flower

So glad to see you have your hugs back  :hug:  and not this face bear_angry

Wishing you much  luck with your new computer and I hope that the books will help.
I do hope that you get to enjoy your new present.

Best wishes and hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Board footer