Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Hi all, I'm new to the board.  I actually make bears from recycled fur, and I've made a few out of regular synthetic furs, but I've been looking at trying my hand at mohair. 

I dutifully browsed through the mohair selections at Edinburgh, and of course Intercal...and now I'm  :wacko:!!!  For instance, I really liked http://www.intercaltg.com/colors/finish370SC.html this type of fur, but what does S/C stand for?  What do the numbers mean?  Is it a code for the colour, like what they do with embroidery floss?

What are the differences between kid mohair, and say alpaca??  Do I need to wash the mohair before I can turn it into bears?  Or can I cut my patterns out and start sewing straight away? 

Thanks for any info  bear_flower

kraftyladies Beary Lovely ... Bears by Susan
Florida

Hi Debbie,

The numbers  like that one 370 S/c is the type of finish, it is their curly finish, it just has a really wavy texture.  And that one is really nice for bigger bears because of the length.  That has always been one of my favorite type of theirs.  The colors have numbers too, but the color name is usually listed with that number.  I have never washed the mohair before I have used it, unless it was one that I dyed.  I have never used kid mohair, but I do know that it is alot softer than the regular mohair, maybe someone can give you more info on that.  Alpaca is a little softer that regular mohair too.  To get a good prices to start with mohair, visit Intercals End pieces page.  Use can get 1/4 or 1/3 yd pieces at really good prices and that way would not have to invest a lot to find out what styles you like to work with.
I hope this helps!
Susan

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Hi Debbie,

First of all welcome to Teddy Talk...it's a great place to learn loads of bear stuff...and make wonderful friends.

If you go to the top of the page and select "Intercal Features" this will take you to the page that lists all of the colors and mohair qualities with a description of each.  The first section is the colors with their associated number.  Scroll a little farther down and it will then list the different qualities with a brief description such as 5/8" medium density etc. etc.

I think...and someone else may be better at explaining this but the differences in mohair such as Kid would be from goat versus Alpaca would be from the animal alpaca (resembles a llama) both are incredibily soft.   This very question may be answered in the "Features" section.

I get lost on the Intercal website myself often...so don't feel alone by any means...and Johnna the person you get when you call or email is VERY helpful. 

I would also recommend spending the $15 for samples...it just makes it so much easier then ordering something and figuring out you don't like it.  A good recommendation given to me by our dear Shelli early on. 

Have fun...and again Welcome  :rose:

Shantell

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Thank you so much for your help, and tips!  I'm amazed at the rainbow of choices available, so I can see those little sample cards being a good investment.

Thanks for the welcome as well  bear_thumb

Deb Upstate New York

Debbie ~

I agree with Shantell ~ best thing to do is order samples.  You really have to see and feel them to know what your ordering.  (I can spend whole evenings going through my samples!)

Beyond that, I think that:
C = Curly
M = Matted
S = S Finish
H = Heirloom Finish
V = Vintage Finish
T = Tipped
TD = Tye-Dyed

The more you browse, the more it'll all connect.  Again, welcome to TT.

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Welcome Debbie, this is a great site to get to know about diffrent aspects of bear making

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Gidday Debbie!!! :hug:
I cant help with your question, because I dont have the foggiest. Just wanted to say HI!!! bear_grin bear_thumb        Matilda bear_wacko

Board footer