Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

I read this last night and got alittle sick thinking about it..........there may be an insect in your breakfast, not the critter itself but a dye made from the ground-up eggs and adodomen of the cochineal beetle. Often called CARMINE in the ingredients lists, it's what gives some yogurts their lovely pink hue. GROSS............... bear_shocked  bear_shocked  bear_shocked  bear_shocked  bear_shocked  bear_shocked

I also found this.....
http://www.worsleyschool.net/science/fi … etles.html

Us Bears Pennsylvania

bear_laugh

If you put it that way it does sound rather grody!

<humor>
But, then, most people would think nothing of lopping off the head of a large, semi-flightless bird and eating the partially singed flesh off its eviscerated carcass.  Would they?  In fact, most people would call it "Turkey Dinner!"
</humor>

Maple syrup is really boiled tree sap.  Right?
Oh!  And I don't even want to think about where hot dogs come from!  :0

Seriously, it's all in the way you look at it.  Isn't it?

If we took a close look at where our food really comes from we'd all be too ill to eat anything.  Woudln't we?
bear_wacko

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado
Us Bears wrote:

bear_laugh

If you put it that way it does sound rather grody!

<humor>
But, then, most people would think nothing of lopping off the head of a large, semi-flightless bird and eating the partially singed flesh off its eviscerated carcass.  Would they?  In fact, most people would call it "Turkey Dinner!"
</humor>

Maple syrup is really boiled tree sap.  Right?
Oh!  And I don't even want to think about where hot dogs come from!  :0

Seriously, it's all in the way you look at it.  Isn't it?

If we took a close look at where our food really comes from we'd all be too ill to eat anything.  Woudln't we?
:wacko:

Yes we would ..........LOL
I don't eat meat anymore after viewing a film on a slaughter house 3 years ago and I sure don't want any bugs in my yogurt.
LOL LOL

Us Bears Pennsylvania

There is an unseemly side to virtually all mass produced food; meat, dairy, produce and otherwise.

Peanut butter companies are allowed to sell peanut butter with rat hairs in it, up to a certain amount.  If memory serves, they can have 1 rat hair per 100 grams of peanut butter.  I also know that there is an allowable amount of rat feces for processed grain but I forget what the number is but I forget the statistic on that.

Eat meat or don't eat meat.  No skin off my nose.  It's a free country.
But, for health's sake, please be sure to get enough protein in your diet.  (Milk, cheese, eggs or fish.)
Experts are not unanimous on the amount of protein we need but they are all certain we need a fair amount of it.  The general rule seems to be that you should eat an egg or a small piece of fish every week or so.  I'm glad you eat yogurt.  That will go a long way to keeping your diet healthy.

Enough ranting...  Back on topic...

If people knew what really happened to their food before it got to the grocery store and onto their tables, they'd probably never eat again!  bear_happy

katiecountrymouse1 KatieCountryBears
Bolton-le-sands, Carnforth
Website

Hi Tamil,

Very Interesting!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:
I'm glad I don't look right with red lipstick on, bear_whistle  but I do love a good yoghurt. bear_grin
Breakfast time for me here soon, might just pass on the yoghurt! :doh:

Love kayx. bear_wub  bear_wub

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Now that's why I eat plain yoghurt Tami, I wasn't sure why, but I know now.  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Tami are you a true vegetarian or are you a pescatarian?

Hugs, Jane.  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

Gemma82 Wakefield
Website

Thank God I'm vegetarian!!!  I remember discovering that Smarties had carmine in them and they're often given to kids...  YUCK!

NIKKEL Nikkel Bears
Orient Point, NSW

Eeeeewwwwww!!  Where have I been hiding all of these years - I did not know about this stuff!   bear_wacko Aaaaarrrrggghhhh!  I'll never eat another Smartie again!

Marg  bear_shocked

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

When my daughter was diagnosed with cancer, the doctor said it is probably from the processed food we eat.  I began to do a whole lot of research at that point.  It was a real eye opener.  We have changed the way we eat and are much better off for it.  Unfortunately, it was too late for my daughter.

Angela Angela's Bear Garden
St. Catharines, Ontario

I have to comment on this one! Sorry if this offends someone, that's not my intention. I was a meat eater until a year ago. I did tons of research on diet over the years. Our Doctors have extremely little education on diet and how it affects our health. They are trained in medicine and pharmaceuticals. They are great there!
I also cut out all animal products, because of the toxic way they are produced, and because of the harmful things they do to our body, even if they are organically grown.
We don't need animal protien of any kind! There is as much protien in a cup of broccoli as there is in a steak! And it is easily used by the body. Where does an elephant get it's protien????
There is a lot of cover up by the meat and dairy boards(they are a great supporter of the pharmaceutical companies because their animals are constantly sick), they have much to lose if people stop consuming their products!
The countries that eat the most animal products are the sickest...heart disease, cancer, diabetes...these are big killers. Most people in North America will die of a disease rather than old age!
The countries that eat very little animal products have very little disease, and they live well into their 90's or even over 100!
I have been watching over the last while in commercials and ads, and what do they promote? Animal products at every meal!!!! We are a society addicted to animal products!
I gotta say, the transition hasn't been easy, pizza isn't the same without cheese...no whipping cream on my strawberries...ice cream bear_cry
But, the results are worth it! I had been overweight most of my adult life, and tried many 'healthy' diets. The weight comes off easy when you eat the things you were designed to! I was developing arthritis in my knees..it was getting bad...it's gone! I was diagnosed with cancer last year, I'm improving well and know now that I will beat it! I personally know people who cured diabetes on a plant based diet...their doctor was amazed!
Nothing is a cure all, but making a decision to cut out animal products contributed to saving my life! Prayer was the most important!
I agree...it's shocking what they put in our prepared foods...yuck!

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado
Angela wrote:

I have to comment on this one! Sorry if this offends someone, that's not my intention. I was a meat eater until a year ago. I did tons of research on diet over the years. Our Doctors have extremely little education on diet and how it affects our health. They are trained in medicine and pharmaceuticals. They are great there!
I also cut out all animal products, because of the toxic way they are produced, and because of the harmful things they do to our body, even if they are organically grown.
We don't need animal protien of any kind! There is as much protien in a cup of broccoli as there is in a steak! And it is easily used by the body. Where does an elephant get it's protien????
I agree...it's shocking what they put in our prepared foods...yuck!

I know what you mean, I did a ton of research on this a few years back. My husband and I do not eat red meat, I still eat some turkey and fish but only a few times a month. I always laugh and tell my mom I don't eat anything with FUR! LOL

And I do feel better, I don't feel as sluggish as I use to feel ....And I'm like you..... MEAT is NOT the only thing that gives you protein.....They say the only reason you are getting protein from meat is because the cow was on a veggie type diet.
I eat tons of veggies and fruits and I agree, you never seem to gain excess weight when you eat like that. Plus our Cholesterol levels are wonderful now that we gave up red meat.
Stating that you do not eat meat for some reason always seems to cause upset among people the same as nonsmokers and smokers. and I have never understood that.....I don't care if people eat meat, but I'm not going to and I don't believe it is healthy...so I choose not to..........I also smoked for 20 years and realized that was not healthy for me either, I quit that 7 yrs ago, but I don't get mad when I  see people smoking!

Sheryl Tuckerbears
Colorado Springs, CO

Hi all the non meat eaters...

Although I do eat meat I eat very little 4 legged animals! I have thought about no meat at all for a long time as I do not care that much for it, but I would have problems with no cheese, eggs, fish, and a some chicken, turkey.

My question to you all is what about carbs? I know for me that is a huge reason for my overwheightness... if that is a word. I am trying to focus on eating better, any help out there???

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I've never been that fond of meat, but was raised to eat it.  My problems is I'm not that fond of food, period.  I don't care for a lot of fruits and veggies, either.  I've often thought of trying to cut out more meat, but don't know what to replace it with.  I do like salads.  Any books that might be recommended for some really good information?  I'd really like to learn more.  Unfortunately, I love my dairy, especially eggs and cheese and hubby isn't about to give up red meat bear_sad .

hugs,

Brenda

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Here is a good site I had bookmarked....it talks about protein, etc.....

http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/pu … ians.shtml

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Hi from another vegetarian!  I do eat dairy and "well disguised" eggs though (like in cake or something!  bear_whistle  ) but no meat of any kind, no fish, no shellfish, no poultry.  I've been one since the age of 12 or so.  For me it's just a personal choice stemming from more of a gross-out factor.  I'm just really squeemish about actualy ingesting animals.   I'm often asked if it's a moral choice... but to be completely honest... it's really not a morality issue for me... I sure as heck still wear leather!   bear_thumb

I'm raising my kids to be meat eaters, but I really am trying to keep their meat consumption in moderation.  Really, I think that's the key to just about everything.  I'm pretty sure that the human body isn't designed to be able to cope with eating meat at EVERY meal, and in most developed, industrialized, wealthy nations we do just that... because we can afford to... not because it's good for us.  When my in laws came here from Egypt, that's one of the first things they noticed about America.... as a nation, most of us can afford to eat meat at every meal.

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

Yum! Bugs!.. lolololol.  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  bear_grin  sorry, lol, that is just way to creepy.. and kind of funny, in a sick way of course.   bear_grin   bear_tongue
hugs,
Melanie

Angela Angela's Bear Garden
St. Catharines, Ontario

Sheryl wrote:
My question to you all is what about carbs? I know for me that is a huge reason for my overwheightness... if that is a word. I am trying to focus on eating better, any help out there???

There is a vast difference between simple carbs and complex carbs.
Basically, simple carbs are depleted of their natural fibre and prepackaged and manipulated in some way to make it 'convenient'. So anything white and processed and addictive! (sugar, flour, ice cream, chips, pop, etc.) These 'foods' are converted quickly to glucose in the body and give you a quick high, like a drug...and then you have a crash...so you reach for more to get a boost. It's a dangerous cycle!

Complex carbs take more energy for your body to digest, so you have a more even energy output, without the high...or the crash. Complex carbs are brown rice, whole grains, lots of different veggies, etc. They sure aren't addictive, but they fuel the body and keep it healthy.

If you want to lose weight, eat lots of raw veggies, some fruit, some grain and some legumes(beans). You never go hungry, but you will have cravings for the first week or two! You may feel yucky for a little while as your body throws off junk. After the cravings subside, you will feel more energetic and healthier!

There are tons of good websites and blogs on eating a plant based diet. My favorite is  <www.hacres.com>  they have loads of free recipes, tips, and info.

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

Most of the world's population is vegetarian, I carried my twin pregnancy on a veg diet and raised them both to healthy adulthood on a largely vegetarian diet. The livestock industry is very wasteful of the world's resources, much of the clearing going on in the Amazon is to feed the our unhealthy appetite for Maccas!!!! I can't remember the statistics but you can feed alot more people from an acre, if the food is obtained straight from the ground and not passed through a cow, sheep, pig, goat, horse or other animal first.  Also, cattle are a major contributer to green house gas emissions, so the livestock industry gives it to the world in a double whammy!
Protien is easy to obtain in more than adequate amounts from vegetable sources, it's all about food combinations (lentils and rice, beans and pasta etc, think about all those classic peasant dishes from the third world) And LOTS of green leafies! What's more vegetable protien is delivered with a wholloping great dose of fibre as well, so it passes through quickly, unlike meat which sits around releasing toxins into the system, it's much harder to maintain a healthy weight if your metabolism is slow.
Having said all that, I do enjoy the occasional fish or chicken meal these days and my largely vegetarian inclination is aesthetic. I don't like to eat cute things, though you have to define cute to some. I was offered a steak not long ago, having told my host that I don't eat cute. His reply," but cows aren't CUTE!!!!"
Also, I don't get why people always have to ask why, when you tell them you're vegetarian, I don't ask them why they eat meat!
The trick to healthy eating and healthy weight maintainance is to eat food which is as little processed as possible, whole grains, low fat, and lots of veggies and keep the processed foods and the indulgence foods to a minimum, I'd die without my chocolate fix, so I'm not about to go without THAT!
OK, enough of my little rant I'd better go make some bears.  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original
Tami, does the yoghurt you eat have gelatine in as a thickening agent?

FrizzyBear New York

I'm vegan and have been since 2001.  I don't worry about protein at all.  I do take a bit of B-12 and use ground flax seed.  The plan I'm on (McDougall) is starch based (potatoes, brown rice, etc.) with added fruits and veggies.  Organic is better.  I use as little fat as possible.  All this for health reasons so I wouldn't need to take statins or bp meds.  What a difference it's made in my life.  Anything you do for yourself is worth it.

Difficult yes, but worth it in the end.  I'm healthier than I've ever been. 

The China Study is a good one to read.  3rd world countries have much healthier bodies than we do.

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado
Linda wrote:

The trick to healthy eating and healthy weight maintainance is to eat food which is as little processed as possible, whole grains, low fat, and lots of veggies and keep the processed foods and the indulgence foods to a minimum, I'd die without my chocolate fix, so I'm not about to go without THAT!
OK, enough of my little rant I'd better go make some bears.  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original
Tami, does the yoghurt you eat have gelatine in as a thickening agent?

Well said...........no I don't eat gelatin/gelatine....esp. when I found out a few years back that it is made from the boiled bones, skins and tendons of animals.
Another ugggggggggggggggg LOL

Carolynn Teenytinyteddybears

So pleased someone raised the gelatine thing.... have to share a funny, and I really am not knocking anyone's beliefs, it was just funny. My Ex father in law was a veggie. He stopped eating meat because his teeth were bad but then took the moral high ground.... anyway, he used to comment that he wasnt responsible for animals dying etc etc... but his favorite treat were marshmallows...... boy did I have fun with that one. (Oh and yes he wore leather.)

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

I'm with most of you on this. I am a vegetarian and have been for many years.  bear_wub
I wish we would also consider the foods we feed our pets. Before WW2 (commercial pets foods started after the war) our pets were fed from the tables and were not vaccinated to death! They didn't die from Cancer, Lupus and suffer from things like Diabetes back then. I don't believe our dogs need to be vegetarians necessarily however I do believe they do not need commercial foods.
Would you consider taking your 6 week old child to the doctor and getting him or her a 8 or 9 in one shot? Heavens No!! But yet we do take our beloved puppy/kitten to the vet and attack his immune system with a shot of over 8 different viruses. Studies show that pets are developing at an alarming rate Osteosarcoma at the vaccination site. Causing vets now to give all shots in the hind leg instead of the back of the neck. That way the leg can be amputated when it becomes cancerous.  bear_cry
50% of a veterinarians income comes from vaccinations and like doctors they get kick backs from pet food companies and pharmecutical companies.
Please I mean no disrespect to the vets and doctors out there. I'm only stating facts I know. :)

Thank you Tami for the links and Jeanne for the China Study tip. I'm going to see if I can get my hands on a copy now.   :clap:

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado
Bubble-Up Bears wrote:

I'm with most of you on this. I am a vegetarian and have been for many years.  bear_wub
I wish we would also consider the foods we feed our pets. Please I mean no disrespect to the vets and doctors out there. I'm only stating facts I know. :)

Thank you Tami for the links and Jeanne for the China Study tip. I'm going to see if I can get my hands on a copy now.   :clap:

Yes I agree, I don't feed Tiffani commerical foods, she eats chicken, turkey and veggies.....  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Look a horse or a cow in the mouth.  What kind of teeth do they have?
Wide, flat teeth for griding their food...  plants, grains and grasses, mostly.

Next, look a dog or a wolf in the mouth.  (Carefully!)  What kind of teeth to they have?
Sharp, pointed teeth for tearing their food to little bits...  Mostly meat.

Now, take a look in the mirror and tell me what your pearly whites look like.
Some are sharp.  Some are flat.  Not nearly as sharp as a wolf's but not flat like a cow's, either.
It's very obvious that our mouths are designed to eat a little of both, meat and plants.

What's the ratio of plants to meat?
Most scientists will tell you that they don't know the exact ratio.  But you can take a cue from Nature.

If a cow's teeth are a "1" and a wolf's teeth are a "10", where do your teeth lie on that scale?
"5?"...  "4?"...  Maybe a "3?"
Logically speaking, that would tell us the ratio of meats and plants that people should probably eat.

I will say that MOST people should cut a lot of the meat out of their diet and eat more veggies.  It would do us all a lot of good.
But, on the other hand, to cut out ALL meat and animal products is not good either.  Yes, animal protein is vital to the diet.  It is broken down and used for amino acids that make up the building blocks of all the cells of the body.

Am I disagreeing with you guys?  No.  I'm just saying that you are only PARTLY right.

First and foremost, there is NO evidence that eating a strict vegetarian diet makes anybody more healthy than one who eats a sensible omnivorous diet.
None!  Zip!  Zilch!  Zero!
There have been studies and meta-studies.  (Meta-studies take several other studies and "average out" the results of them all.)

ALL of the supposed health benefits that vegetarians clam to come from eating a meatless diet can be explained.
Many vegetarians have lower fat and cholesterol levels in their blood.  This is a big reason they seem to fare better.  But a person who eats an omnivorous diet and who watches his cholesterol can get the exact same benefits.

So, when it comes out in the wash, vegetarians are really just oral masochists.

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

Last I looked, my daughter's pet bunny didn't have teeth that look anything like those in a cows mouth and I don't see her hoeing into the nearest slab of fllesh! Oral masochist indeed, grinding away at a tough old bit of steak, now THAT"S oral masochism if ever I saw it. It's interesting to note that whenever meat is on the menu, it's tenderness is a subject of much dicussion, which indicates that it often isn't so!

Board footer