Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I'd like to hand colour some fabric ... probably with watercolour pencils or acrylics, but am not sure what to seal it with and whether I should do anything to prepare the fabric first ... would anyone mind sharing this info with me please?  Thank you! bear_flower

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I have a couple cloth doll books and nothing in them says you need to actually prepare the fabric ahead of time so I haven't.   When I'm finished with the face I do spray it with a matte finish sealer.   The brand I'm using is Krylon (mostly because that's what they had).

I've used Primscolor water color pencils and acrylic paints and seal them both the same way.  It works great.

I can't wait to see what you create.  I have an entire sketchpad with face drawings...some are quite scary.  :P

Edited:  I also have an online tutorial and they don't have you prepare the fabric ahead of time either.

Kent
Website

Thanks Shantell, that's really helpful.  :hug:  I'll have to see what I can find in terms of a matte finish sealer ... would the kind artists use to spray over their paintings work?

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Yes, it's the same sealer.  Although, I did go to www.dickblick.com and looked up some of the sealers to make sure I picked one that I felt would work okay with fabric.  I thought it would save me from trying to figure it out AT the store.

minkbears Vintage Mink Bears by Kathy Myers
Lakewood CA
Website

I'm sure that this paint is more than you would need but I thought that I would just add in my recent experience with fabric painting. I just painted my canvas Tom's shoes and I used my Genesis paints which are heat set....great paint! The paint is workable until you apply heat to set it. This is the first time that I tried it and I was really pleased.

By the way, the Tom's Shoes are the ones that when you buy a pair of shoes that another pair of shoes is donated to a child in need....just wanted to let everyone know that these shoes are actually quite comfortable!

Good luck with your painting.
bear_thumb  ~ Kathy

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Hi Paula,  bear_flower
I used to paint t-shirts and jeans with acrylic paints...way back in the stone ages it was.   bear_happy I always washed the fabric, to take out the sizing, and dried the material in a hot dryer using NO softening agents.  Heat set in the dryer after allowing acrylics to dry 234 hours.  Ha....234 hours?  I meant 24 hours. 
bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

What'cha paint'n?

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Kent
Website

Phew, that's a relief Aleta ... I had terrible visions of my utilities bill flooring my other half when it arrived - how would I explain 'cloth painting' to my family as the fastest way to end a relationship?! :crackup:

Thank you so much for the advice everyone, it's really helpful ... I have no clue where to start with such things!  As for the task, I'm hoping to make a raggy doll for my niece's birthday and at the moment, I'm torn between using acrylics, watercolour pencils, or (for me the easy route!) plain ol' stitchery for her face.  I read you can even use chalk or pastels ... so much choice to confuse me! bear_tongue  I have a heap to learn as this is so far removed from working with mohair!

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

Hi Paula,    bear_original

You can also use the liquid acrylics that come in the skinny plastic squeeze bottles (can find these at Michaels and similar craft stores) mixed with textile medium.  I have seen different proportions stated by different brands, but it should say on the bottle.  Delta is a brand here that has both the colors and textile medium.  The textile medium helps control color bleeding on the fabric and gives a softer hand to the fabric than acrylic paint by itself.  Createx is another brand.  Textile medium can also be used over the color pencils, and would be brushed rather than sprayed.  The textile medium is set with heat.  Golden liquid acrylics are also nice for fabrics. Golden has a "Gac 900 Fabric Medium" that can be blended with the colors to give a softer hand.

Hugs,

Ellen

Kent
Website

Oooh thanks Ellen, that's really useful advice.  I had completely forgotten about textile medium ... I've just remembered I used to use it years ago when I painted the reverse side of my bears' paw pads ... so I will definitely buy some.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some nice paints or pencils for my birthday which is tomorrow - I think I've dropped enough hints to my other half! bear_tongue

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

Happy Birthday, Paula!!!  :bday:  :cake:  :bday:  :cake:

I hope you get your paints and pencils for your birthday.  bear_grin

Hugs,

Ellen

Kent
Website

Thank you Ellen!  :hug:  bear_flower  I've just realised I should have typed 'the day after tomorrow' - what a twit!  It's actually my birthday tomorrow!  See, old age is getting me already! bear_tongue

Board footer