Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

In today's oh so uplifting US news:

WASHINGTON -- Massive deficits could force the post office to cut out one day of mail delivery per week, the postmaster general told Congress on Wednesday.

Postmaster General John E. Potter asked lawmakers to lift the requirement that the agency deliver mail six days a week.

Faced with dwindling mail volume and rising costs, the post office was $2.8 billion in the red last year and, "if current trends continue, we could experience a net loss of $6 billion or more this fiscal year," Potter said in testimony for a Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs subcommittee.

Total mail volume was 202 billion items last year, more than 9 billion less than the year before, the largest single volume drop in history.

And, despite annual rate increases, Potter said 2009 could be the first year since 1946 that the actual amount of money collected by the post office declines.

"It is possible that the cost of six-day delivery may simply prove to be unaffordable," Potter said. "I reluctantly request that Congress remove the annual appropriation bill rider, first added in 1983, that requires the Postal Service to deliver mail six days each week."

If the change is made, that doesn't necessarily mean an end to Saturday mail delivery. Previous studies have looked at the possibility of skipping some other day, such as Tuesday.

"The ability to suspend delivery on the lightest delivery days, for example, could save dollars in both our delivery and our processing and distribution networks. I do not make this request lightly, but I am forced to consider every option given the severity of our challenge," Potter said.

That doesn't mean it would happen right away, he noted, adding that the agency is working to cut costs and any final decision on changing delivery would have to be made by the postal governing board.

If it did become necessary to go to five-day delivery, Potter said, "we would do this by suspending delivery on the lightest volume days."

The Postal Service raised the issue of cutting back on days of service last fall in a study it issued. At that time the agency said the six-day rule should be eliminated, giving the post office, "the flexibility to meet future needs for delivery frequency.

A study done by George Mason University last year for the independent Postal Regulatory Commission estimated that going from six-day to five-day delivery would save the post office more than $1.9 billion annually, while a Postal Service study estimated the saving at $3.5 billion.

The next postal rate increase is scheduled for May, with the amount to be announced next month. Under current rules that would be limited to the amount of the increase in last year's consumer price index, 3.8 percent. That would round to a 2-cent increase in the current 42-cent first class rate.

The agency could request a larger increase because of the special circumstances, but Potter believes that would be counterproductive by causing mail volume to fall even more.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

I cringe to think of where we're headed economically and generally I try not to but every once in a while the potential reality seeps in. Then I go back to my studio and surround myself with all things warm and fuzzy and try to forget about it. Think I'll go back there now!

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

We  have only ever had 5 day postal delivery.

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

Lucky you, to get your mail six days a week, our Saturday delivery was cut decades ago, that's if there ever was one. I seem to remember Saturday deliveries when I was a kid  bear_ermm  bear_ermm

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad   Yeah, it all looks pretty bleak right now.  I just hope there aren't any more situations like what happened in California.  People who lose their jobs killing their kids, spouse, then themselves.  Desparate times = desparate measures, but there are much better ways of dealing with problems.  Hmmm - now I'm going to surround myself with warm and cuddly.

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I know what you mean. I think if I did'nt have radio, TV or newspapers, do you know, I'd consider myself better off than last year. Mad, but it can be a frame of mind too, well for me. I just think its the empathy with fellow people, you can't help it. Thousands of jobs lost in my small city. Just keep going, thats what I'm doing, but its hard when so many people are struggling. The California news made for a grim situation, we had the same thing happen last year, a whole family wiped out, ready for the bailiffs to find the burnt out house and what lay within.

Lifes not all easy, but I'm glad of my little creations and bear friends, it all helps.  :hug:

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

In answer to your original question:  Why do I listen to the news?  Well, I think I listen because I'm waiting to hear something positive.  I've actually started to tune into the evening news at 20 past the hour.  In the last ten minutes we get sports, weather and a two minute segment of happiness or what went right in the world today.  I can be happy with sports scores.  I can be happy about most of the weather (most except for s.n.o.w.).  I think the thing I count on most in the news is those last two minutes.

Hugs and hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

We only have 5 day mail delivery here.. I don't watch or listen to the news at all anymore.. haven't in years. I go online to check out the weather.. and look at some celebrity gossip.. that is enough news for me.
*cheer up hugs*
Melanie

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I think we must have had Saturday delivery in all of Canada at some point, because when we lived up north, we actually had Saturday morning delivery for the first few years we were there - then it was discontinued.  Even now, the post offices are open Saturday morning, to take in mail - it just doesn't go out until Monday.  The U.S. must be the last hold out for Saturday mail.

It's awful, what happened in California - what is wrong with people.  I know their judgement is clouded and I do understand somewhat when it's a mental issue, but these people sounded sane - just desperate.  They are thinking only of themselves, not the children, despite what they think.  It just makes me crazy.  I don't listen to the news often either, but I do read the morning paper.  Aleta, I'd sure love to have a two minute positve newcast to end my day - that sounds wonderful!

hugs,

Brenda

kezjoy KezjoyKritterz
Gippsland Victoria

i rarely ever watch the news and rarely read a paper..i figure if theres somehting important to know i'll hear about it..i think im probably happier living in ignorance...and theres got to be some of us out there to go on those special juries when the cases are all over the news  bear_laugh
Kerrilyn

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I love the funny bits at the end too, reminds you to laugh at life! I'm lucky that in my 'real life' job I meet some real characters, I always have a laugh with.

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub My daughter is a mail carrier, and this is not good news for her, she has been what they call a sub or fill in for 9 years in hopes of someday getting her own route.  But with the slow down in mail, due to the internet, she was told she will never get her own route.  This extra day off will also make it worse.  But, it is basically our own faults due to the fact we order on line, pay our bills on line, and do not use the mail like we use to.
So that saddens me about the postal situation, and that situation in California made me sick that the man was in that must of an emotional trama that he killed his whole family.  sad things in this world today. It makes me thankful for my life and the life of my family that we do not suffer any  of the hardships out there today.

Board footer