Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

My, aren't I just the chatty one today?!! bear_original  bear_original

So, do you?  Do you keep an inspiration file?  One specifically for bears?  I do.  I referred to it, for the first time in a long time, today. 

I'm trying to figure out where my head is artistically/creatively.  I'm really drawn to a more unkempt, shabby, tattered look like my woebegone antique bears.  Eyes and ears askew with lopsided smiles.  Somewhat like my Truly Silly! bears only a little bit rounder and a wee bit bigger.  I'm going to give it a whirl to see if it rekindles my spark for bearsmithing.   

Where is your inspiration leading you these days?

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

For inspiration when I don't know what type of bear I want, I go through all the patterns I have collected over the years (some have never been opened, just got them for the pictures) and all the bear making books I have been collecting for the last thirty years.  And then there is the book I put together on bears from all the old Teddy Bears and Friends magazines.  I couldn't keep all the magazines, storage problems,  so I made myself a book of the pictures of bears.  This really starts the ideas coming and then I can go an create something I want to make.

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

I'm still searching for one last box of "stuff" that I need before I can start to make bears again bear_sad  I have a stack of pages from Victoria magazine that I adore. I wonder if I have those with me??

customteddys Custom Teddys
Juneau, Alaska

Hi everybody! I have a list of ideas a mile long, it seems, but ideas and inspiration are different. Inspiration for me comes from the sheer joy of seeing something that I "must" create.. and sometimes that comes from just not making bears for a while. My inspiration for bears today is that I'd rather be making a bear than working on my website (as you can see I'm working hard on my website here at TT)  ha...  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  oh well, I love you guys, Vicki

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

Aleta, I think keeping some sort of file is a great idea.  I have a book full of bear ideas, but it's far from organized.  A note here, a scrap of paper there (the book has pockets).  I really should tidy it up. 
I get a great deal of inspiration from right here on Teddy Talk.  And in the middle of the night, when I should be sleeping.  A light goes off in my head and I just have to go sketch. 
Like right now.  Only I took a side trip to my computer. bear_whistle
Maybe I'll go back to bed now.
Night-night.

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I keep a file, on my computer. It can be anything I see, colours, pictures. I've got one of cupcakes, it really makes me want to do candy coloured sweet bears. I found lots of vintage inspired Blogs over Christmas and that has swung what I would like to do bear wise in another direction. Paula commented on her blog about mixing styles or adding a twist to her bears. I like that idea, as I don't think it hurts to mix styles or add a pinch of something to spice it up, fusion bearmaking!

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I keep a binder with clear plastic sleeves,  It is filled with pictures I have taken off the internet of bears, bear faces, bear paws, horses, donkeys, all of the animals I have looked at or worked on.  It also has pictures of symbols I like to be used in embroidery. There is a complete list of all the names of towns and cities in Arizona to be used for names.  It is rather full and I use it all the time for inspiration when making new patterns, or working on a bear.
Joanne

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I'm like Amanda and I have a file on my computer.  When I see something that I like I put it in that file, I go back to this file all the time and just have a look through it.  It can be anything from bears to sunsets to sunrises, cats, polar bears, just anything with colour that I think I can use in a bear.

big hugs

Shane

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Cat photos and books. But I have to say the images I get from collectors and fellow artists are the ones I use most often. I think it's because I pick up their enthusiasm when they are talking to me about the photos.
Karen
KJ Lyons Design

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

i started just yesterday as I want to make a realistic polar bear so I looked at pictures on the internet and I have been sketching ideas too.

Anyone else notice this:  I have never ever been able to draw, not even a little bit but when I sketch Ideas for bears suddenly my drawings are now looking like bears.  Perhaops there is a future in anime for me :crackup:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I have so many inspiration photos of bears and dolls and art and website design I actually lose track of them!  They're in binders, on my hard drive in folders, cut from magazines, on my bulletin board, stuck in manila envelopes -- you name it.

What I need inspiration on, at this point, is getting them organized.  lol...!!   :crackup:

Re: my own bears... nowadays, I'm leaning in the direction of long skinny arms and short, wee legs.  The arms are getting longer and the legs shorter with each pattern.   I'm liking longer bodies and smaller heads, too.  Plus, I keep wanting to "perfect" eyes but I can't quite get where I want to be either by my own design, or from inspiration others provide.  I know what I want (kinda), I just can't make it happen yet.  We'll see where (if anywhere) that lands.  Sometimes, my hands just wanna do what they wanna do, no matter where my head's wanting them to go!!

Stellajella Wien

I´ve got inspirational thingies all over the place, in my PC and in my head  bear_innocent
Sure, I do have a folder with inspiration for bears. And I´ve got sketches and parts of patterns in the basement. And sometimes I find them as boiokmarks in a book or in my phone directory with a new phone number on it:)
I´ve got folders also for inspirations to make jewelry, one for nice things in the house, one for sewing dresses and one for designing an attachment to the house.
So one could think, I am wellest organised...could...think...
Now, first thing my inspiration leads me to: cleaning my work space in the baasement, to even have space to start...and then I´ll do some thinking:)

Gaby bear_flower

PeachtreeCottage Peachtree Cottage
Georgia
Website

On my computer I keep an idea file of ideas I get.  I keep pictures of things I take a picture of that I see that spark a thought.  I keep example pictures too.  Also prelimiary pictures for things I've made but might not be satisfied with so I can look at them and see what I want to try to change.  All this is done on my computer.

Outside of the computer I keep a box of DMC threads handy for color inspiration.  I also keep a spiral notebook available where I can jot down thoughts as they come to me, along with drawings I might make.  I also have a box of accessories...little things I pick up here or there to use as an accessory or extra to go with a bear.  Sometimes I go through those to get inspiration too.

/miniteddyhugs,

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Hi Aleta bear_flower

I have  journals, folders, files, magazines and pictures and lots of ideas on my computer.

Now all I have to do is sit down and find the time to actually make a bear.
With the weather been so hot over here at the moment, it is hard to find the energy to sit down with  mohair and stuffing.
So instead, I am wasting my time sitting at the  computer when I should be doing other things.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Angela Angela's Bear Garden
St. Catharines, Ontario

I'm like a lot of the others, I have some pics and sketches in a file, some on my computer, in with my patterns, magazines, bulletin board, etc.....I think I need to organize them bear_laugh ........some day!!!

Board footer