Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Put away your stuffing tools, polyfill and wood wool!

Get out your recipe box!!!!

I need a really good, yet easy recipe for Thanksgiving stuffing!!!
I don't want to put everything but the kitchen sink into is as we have some picky eaters coming to dinner but I want it to be more than just the run of the mill Stouffer's instant stuffing.

I have Pepperidge Farm dried bread crumbs....
What can I add to make it a tasty "Wow, this is delicious" kind of stuffing???

We're having all the other traditional Thanksgiving foods.... Turkey, cranberry sauce, potatoes, veggies, squash, rolls.....

HELP!!!

I did look online but got SO overwhelmed by all the recipes! It's more time consuming than keeping up with posts here!

I know there are plenty of great cooks here so I'm counting on your help!

Please!!!  :pray:

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I would add finely chopped onions, celery and mushrooms. Stir fry them in some butter or marg and add to the breadcrumbs with a couple of eggs. I like to add raisins (soaked in hot water) as well. Seasoning would be sage, pepper and maybe some worchester sauce.

Marion

Estelle Estelles canal bears and Tod Teddies
Todmorden West Yorkshire

that sounds good over here in the U K I would  to add chopped walnuts and some chestnut puree to all the above. ( but I am a pig) being a veggie i make lots off different  stuffings at Christmas as we dont eat turky  bear_grin

Deb Upstate New York

From foodtv, Paula Dean's dressing:

Good Old Country Stuffing

2 loaves oven-dried white bread (recommended: Pepperidge Farm)
2 cups cooked white rice
1 sleeve crushed saltines
1 pound bulk breakfast sausage
2 cups chopped celery
1 large onion, chopped
7 cups chicken stock
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 stick butter, melted
Mushroom Giblet Gravy, recipe follows

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Crumble oven-dried bread into a large bowl. Add rice and saltines.

Cook sausage in a large skillet until it starts to brown. Add celery and onion and saute until transparent, 5 to 10 minutes. Pour over bread and rice mixture. Add stock and mix well. Add salt, pepper, sage, and poultry seasoning. Mix well. Add the beaten eggs and melted butter. Mix well. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the stuffing mixture for the Mushroom Giblet Gravy.

Pour stuffing into a greased pan and bake until cooked through and golden brown, about 45 minutes.

Mushroom Giblet Gravy:
4 cups turkey or chicken stock
Giblets from 1 turkey
2 chicken bouillon cubes
2 tablespoons reserved stuffing mixture
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/3 cup cold water
2 pints button mushrooms, sliced
3 tablespoons butter
1 hard boiled egg, sliced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Bring stock and giblets to a boil. Add bouillon and reserved stuffing mixture. Make a slurry by whisking together the cornstarch and water and add to the boiling stock; cook 2 to 3 minutes. Meanwhile, saute mushrooms until browned in butter. Add mushrooms to gravy with egg and salt and pepper, to taste.

ellen ontario, canada

holy cow!!!!  what size bird is THAT gonna stuff?
:D
.....that recipe sounds deliciosoooooooo too!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I wish I had my receipe box here with me! My mom's (which was my grandmothers and her mother's before that) receipe would be perfect! It is potato filling and not bread filling though... it has potatoes, onions, celery, eggs, not sure what else... sooo good!

Deb Upstate New York

LOL, I think it's for a pan of dressing.  I'm pretty sure Paula Dean is that adorable southern cook (Georgia maybe) that always makes a mountain of food.  Could cut the recipe I'm sure.

Ellen, try to stay warm and dry (you too Kelly and Kim and Ginnie) over the holiday.  Sounds like we're gonna get it!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

YUCK!  It is almost snow season  yuck yuck yuck!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I'm feeling stuffed already! Great ideas, ladies!

I must add, Deb, that although that recipe sound so scrummy...... I don't and hate to cook! So, it's waaaay too complicated for my basic cooking skills! I'd love to make it otherwise!

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

I am Stuff too  bear_grin bear_grin

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website

We add onions, celery, dried cranberries, and orange juice (and maybe some nuts)
We tried adding apples, but its kinda chewy! (to me, hubby likes it)

Deb Upstate New York

Daphne ~

Buy a gravy then.  The top part is a cinch.  :thumbsup:

If anyone is cutting out the white potatos, I have a recipe for a sweet potato souffle that's just incredible.

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Hi Daphane,

I make my stuffing from breadcrumbs, onion, garlic, parsley and bind together with a couple
of eggs. Also very yummy to add crispy bacon and dried apricots cut up.
Good luck with cooking your turkey and hope that you have a fabulous Thanksgiving Day.

Your sweet potato souffle sounds yum Deb. I love making and eating souffles.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I just got this in my e-mail.   bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Here is a turkey recipe that also includes the use of popcorn as a stuffing - imagine that.  When I found this recipe, I thought it was perfect for people like me, who just are not sure how to tell when poultry is thoroughly cooked, but not dried out.  Give this a try.

10 - 12 lb. turkey
1 cup melted butter
1 bag stuffing (Pepperidge Farm is good)
1 cup uncooked popcorn (Orville Redenbacher's Low Fat)
Salt/pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Brush turkey well with melted butter, salt, and pepper.  Fill cavity with stuffing and popcorn.  Place in baking pan with the neck end toward the back of the oven.  Listen for the popping sounds.

When the turkey's arse blows the oven door open and the bird flies across the room, it's done!!  And you thought I couldn't cook . . . .

bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

HAHAHA! bear_happy

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

That was hilarious, Sue Ann! I'm half temped to give it a try. I've never cooked a turkey before, shouldn't the first one be something to remember?!  bear_grin

Board footer