Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

sheilaleigh Sheila Leigh
Lincoln, Nebraska

HI everybody,

I know that someone will be able to help me with this question.  I want to get a himalayan kitten within the next few months.  My husband is a very worried about fleas in the house.  Is it possible to have a indoor cat and never have fleas? 

hugs,
Sheila

K Pawz Guest

Holy crow!!! of course it is!!! I have 11 indoor cats, and two dogs and have never had a flea, and that is even with the dogs going outside. If he is worried you could talk to the vet about revolution, it is a monthly treatment that goes on the back of the neck, but I can't see you needing it. The only way you would have fleas is from the breeder and most of the breeders I know have indoor only cats, so the chance is pretty slim. I am sure the breeder deworms and defleas before adoption anyways.

hugs,
Krista

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Hi Sheila,

I had my cat for 18 yrs and she was always indoors,  she never got fleas.  I never had a dog at the time that might have brought fleas into the house. If you check with your vet I do believe there is a shot that you can get  for the cat that keeps fleas away. Not sure exactly how it works but you could look into that or just check with your vet. 

big hugs

Shane

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

What Krista said!!! bear_thumb

sheilaleigh Sheila Leigh
Lincoln, Nebraska

Thaks guys, all this positive information is good.  It will help convince my husband.  I want a kitty so badly.  bear_cry

hugs,
Sheila

Goldelocs Bears Goldelocs Bears
Brisbane

Hi Sheila,
If you use a good spot on treatment (ie. Advantage, Frontline etc...), usually given monthly you should avoid having fleas.
I used to breed Himalayans they are a wonderful breed,  they are very affectionate and have great personalities!  :love:
Ann-Marie

kim "a bear by kim"
merseyside

oh, yep, iv got 2 cats and a dog, mine are outdoorsie and spot on works a treat!

Carolynn Teenytinyteddybears

Our cat was bathed once a week. I am very allergic but love cats. Never had a flea, no hairballs and no hair on the furniture. I am not going to pretend she begged to be bathed but she didn't object too much either. We used a tea tree shampoo for cats.

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Sheila, I PMed you with some advices from my own experience with my beloved cat.

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

Most good breeders won't have fleas on their cats or kittens but once you bring them home it is still possible to pick them up depending on where you live or whether you have other animals or if the cat has access to a confined outdoor space. If you don't want to use chemical sprays etc  groom your cat every day and then you can keep a flea problem at bay before it properly starts.I have 4 indoor cats and don't use anything on them and don't have any problems.If you groom them as a kitten they will soon get used to it and will enjoy it so making it easier to keep an eye on things.
Laurie :hug:

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

I sent you a PM too. bear_original

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

We use Frontline spray on our outside cats and it kills off everything, so if you do ever have an outbreak that stuff comes highly recommended... plus it's much more amusing to watch them have hissy fits every time they see the bottle  bear_innocent  bear_grin

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Yes you kitty can get fleas even if indoors. You bring them in your house on your shoes and pants. Your pet will eventually get them. There are vet approved flea control medications out there you put on the back of the cats neck once a month. That is very helpful. When I lived in Florida it was "A MUST HAVE". Forget about flea collars. They are not very good and plus one of my cat began to lick herself and as she was licking her tongue licked the color and she was foaming at the mouth and it was horrible. Plus I kiss my cats and I don't want to be kissing a flea collar.  I also, to control fleas is sprinkled Borax detergent on all my carpeted areas once a month. I let it sit for a couple of hours and vacuumed it up. The Borax gets on the fleas, they lick their feet and it kill them. Between the once a month "advantage" flea medication and the Borax, I never had a flea problem again.

I found my Borax at Target. You can find it in most places. I also had an ant problem, sprinkled Borax around the sink and they disappeared. It is very good for many things.....

Here is what the box looks like:

http://www.20muleteamlaundry.com/

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hi Sheila,

Is it possible to have a indoor cat and never have fleas?

Yep, ... if you and your hubby both take a daily shower or bath, you should both be fine!!!!!!!!!!! :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Sorry, my weird sense of humour!!

Hugs

Marilyn  bear_flower

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

We've got two indoor cats and have never had any trouble with fleas for 9 years.  Before that I had a siamese cat for most of my growing up years, he went out, we gave him treatment to prevent fleas and never once had a problem.  I hope you get your kitty  bear_flower
Hugs
Catherine x

sheilaleigh Sheila Leigh
Lincoln, Nebraska
Barling Bears wrote:

Hi Sheila,

Is it possible to have a indoor cat and never have fleas?

Yep, ... if you and your hubby both take a daily shower or bath, you should both be fine!!!!!!!!!!! :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Sorry, my weird sense of humour!!

Hugs

Marilyn  :rose:

You are so funny, Marilyn!  I actually took you serious at first until I saw the little "crackups."  :crackup:

I love a weird sense of humor!!

hugs,
Sheila

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

I'm pleased you enjoyed that Sheila!!!   I like to look at the world in a funny way!!!   bear_grin  bear_grin  I was laughing as I typed it!

Hugs

Marilyn  bear_flower

Mikki Mikki, Cripple Creek Creative
Bethel, Ohio

Never had a problem...if cats are indoor. Only had fleas once in over 30 years but the kitty went outside on a leash.Treat the dogs which are outdoor dogs. If any concerns can put a flea collar in your vacuum when you sweep.
Mikki

Us Bears Pennsylvania

The reason why cats and dogs get infested is because their homes are infested with fleas.  If you keep your house clean you should not have problems with fleas.

The fleas get carried into the house, either on the dog/cat or by people (on clothing, etc. as others have said) and they take up residence in the carpeting and upholstery throughout the house.  Then the fleas breed on the animal, lay eggs and the hatchlings fall off into the carpeting.  When they mature, they jump back onto the animal and the process starts all over again.

Vacuum the rugs and upholstery regularly... religiously during flea season in the summer months.
Use an anti-flea carpet shampoo on occasion.
Use an anti-flea shampoo on your dogs and cats but DO NOT use shampoos that contain aromatic oils like eucalyptus or tea tree oils.  Some cats and dogs are allergic to it and it will make them very sick!
Limit your animal's exposure to the outdoors during the height of flea season or, better still, keep your cat indoors all the time.
One area that people overlook is the pet's bedding.  Fido's bed can be infested with fleas, making a perfect breeding ground!

If you have to shampoo the pet it is important to do it correctly:
1)  Wet him with warm water and apply shampoo in a ring around his neck first.  Fleas will try to avoid the insecticide and will flock to the animal's ear canals.  Your pet could end up with infested ears and the shampooing will have done no good.

2)  Next, apply shampoo to the animal's bum.  Fleas can flock to the animal's anus and genital areas, only to reinfest later on.a

3)  Shampoo the head.  Pay attention not to get any soap into his eyes and mouth.

4)  Shampoo the rest of the body.  If you have done it right, the fleas will have no place to hide and will be forced to flee or be killed by the insecticide.  You should see the fleas jumping off the animal, and floating to their death in the water below.

5)  Do whatever else the label of the shampoo says.  Some say to let the shampoo soak in for a certain number of minutes.  Others might say to wash off immediately but to reapply a second time.

6)  Dry your pet well!  A wet dog or cat can catch cold and will then be an even easier target for illness and/or reinfestation later on.

Personally, I am not a fan of those anti-flea treatments you get from the vet.  I just don't believe in using drugs on animals or people when they aren't sick.  I have heard horror stories about dogs and cats getting sick and dying from improper use of over-the-counter flea treatments.  I believe that preventative measures are best and that, if you keep your house clean, you shouldn't have flea problems in the first place.

I'm not trying to stop people from using drugs to ward off fleas.  If you think that is a good remedy, go ahead and do it.  But go to your vet and ask him/her what to use.  Don't buy that crap you find in the pet stores unless your vet says it's okay.  Many O.T.C. preparations don't work very well.  Others can be harmful. 

Like I said above, many people use eucalyptus because they think "natural" remedies are better but that's not always true.  Eucalyptus can be toxic to some cats!

When I was a kid, my Dad bred hunting dogs.  We used to feed them raw garlic in the summer time to ward off the fleas.  It seemed to do the trick but we also used to be pretty religious about keeping the fleas away in the first place.

th_5Dogs.jpg

Guess who's job it was to give all these dogs their flea baths?  bear_happy

Board footer