Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

I decided that today I would get rid of the pile of fleece hats that I made several years ago. Though I should be working on bears... those hats are just sitting there taking up space.
I took my pictures against a plain white background.
I loaded them on the computer. Made the mask in Corel PhotoPaint reversed it and erased the background.
I turned off the mask. Saved the pictures as .gifs. Loaded to my website.
Created my listings. Very carefully going over the details...

:lol:

I get all done and forgot to add that they are hand made...
Mom pointed this out and I fixed it but what a pain.

:P

Turbolister can be a big pain in the rear, but it does make somethings easier. It doesn't play well with the auction templates that mom has bought.
Does anyone out here have any other listing service or something else that they use?

bear_whistle

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

www.robshelp.com

It's free... easy to use after an hour or so of a learning curve (you are more computer savy than me by the sounds so might take you less time) and just type what you want it to say, select font, color, insert photo url's and you are done. Save it, it converts it to HTML, copy that and paste it into the appropriate field when listing an ebay auction.

I've used it for my current bear listed on eBay. I've easily made it look like my website with same background, similar fonts, colors, etc.   http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … %3AIT&rd=1 I go for a simple look in my auctions but you could more elaborate.

You can then just go in, change a picture, text etc. for your next item.

On Rob's Help you can also design web pages, your About Me page on eBay, etc.

I've used turbo lister too but I really like Rob's Help as I can create my own template so it looks like my website.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I use The Seller Sourcebook and know absolutely nothing about eithet html or TurboListing.  In fact, I've always wondered what, in a nutshell, TurboLister actually is/does.  Anybody want to sum it up in ten words or less?

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi Jared,

Afraid I don't use any listing service.  I do use templates... first I bought them and then I made my own.  I just list my bears manually with the templates.

Nicholasville, KY
Website

Hi again :)

Just checked out your listings and they look great!  I have one question... I was wondering why you don't accept postal money orders?

Just curious....  bear_grin

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA
Shelli wrote:

I use The Seller Sourcebook and know absolutely nothing about eithet html or TurboListing.  In fact, I've always wondered what, in a nutshell, TurboLister actually is/does.  Anybody want to sum it up in ten words or less?

10 words.... UGH!
Ummmm..... (that one doesn't count!)
It's a fill-in-the-blank (that's one word!) program you download. Has various layouts/backgrounds. Can use it off-line. Connect to eBay to upload. Use photos from harddrive - as many as you want, no per-picture fee. Saves listings so you can list similar item by just tweeking existing listing.

Sorry, I couldn't name that tune in 10 notes!!!!

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

I just use html Jared  - it's just so easy once you get the hang of it and best of all - it's free!

Penny  :dance:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Jared I use www.vendio.com
You can customize the templates...not as nuch as I would like.  I wish I could list separate paragraphs in my listings.  That is the only thing I don't care for at Vendio...BUT I am so familiar with it that I have fallen into a comfort zone.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania
gotobedbears wrote:

I just use html Jared  - it's just so easy once you get the hang of it and best of all - it's free!

Penny  :dance:

I need to learn to do this!  I liked how mine turned out with the Teddies 4 Charity auction but LL did it all for me!

Nicholasville, KY
Website

bear_grin 

I like this free site for learning HTML:  http://www.lissaexplains.com/

Polo, IL

html for dummies is a great book...
I have a copy somewhere... Let's see...

I was looking for a WYSIWYG editor.
That is why I like turbo lister, you can switch between HTML, Design layout (WYSIWYG), and a Preview window.
I found a fairly inexpensive editor called coffe cup it's only $49 and it looks like it does a ton of stuff.

WYSIWYG= What You See Is What You Get

http://www.w3schools.com/  This is another great online resource for HTML, JAVA Script, CSS, tables and so on.

Really, I was hoping that someone would have an easy answer. he he  bear_grin (snickering)

Polo, IL
Laura Lynn wrote:

Hi again :)

Just checked out your listings and they look great!  I have one question... I was wondering why you don't accept postal money orders?

Just curious....  :lol:

There was a flush of fraud with them in our area for a long time. The local banks would not accept them for deposit nor would they cash them.

Polo, IL
Shelli wrote:

I don't know that it can be summed up in 10 words or less.

But Daphne's explaination is as good as any.

You could download it from ebay and try it, but don't if you have something that works.

Nicholasville, KY
Website

Thanks Jared!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Thanks for the explanations.

Jared, I used the COFFEE CUP software to build my site.  It's easy to learn and fairly powerful for something that doesn't even allow you any way at all to view or alter your html code directly.

At this point, though, having been there/done that, I'm ready to move to a more sophisticated program, and to learning code... and would like to take some classes in html and site design, too.  But I can't find the time or extra cashflow to make it happen right now.  My wishlist program for the future is DreamWeaver.  <sigh>

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

HTML ? Learn code???   bear_wacko I'm afraid it sends shivers down my spine, BUT I am learning...

...and Daphne MANY MANY thanks for that link to Robshelp  bear_thumb I've squirrelled it away for when I can get a bit more time to learn.   Thanks to you, and the link, I've discovered this morning that I have free hosting for pictures on a website I didn't even know I had!!!  That's like winning a mini lotto for me    bear_flower sorry, but I guess I'm easy to please!  LOL  bear_grin

So much to learn, and thank you my friends, I'm learning so so much on here!!!!

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

AAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH - DID YOU SAY THE FORBIDDEN WORD SHELLI?????

Dreamweaver - what a pain in the butt - trust me it's quicker and more exciting watching tectonic plates move inextricably further apart
:P

Penny  :hug:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

gotobedbears wrote:

Dreamweaver - what a pain in the butt - trust me it's quicker and more exciting watching tectonic plates move inextricably further apart

HAHA!  Tell me your experiences with it; I keep hearing it's the "best" (most powerful, versatile, etc.) program to get, and I would love to only learn one program, one time.  Do you like something else better?

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

I love Dreamweaver  :love:. I use an old version of it (3.0) and am very happy with it despite the Dreamweaver people trying to make me upgrade! And the best thing about older software is....it costs less!!!! I bought mine off eBay for a bargain price (totally ligimate, sealed version).

However it can take a bit of getting used to and I did a short evening study course to find my way around it. It's like any new bit of software, there's a learning curve! I like the fact it uses a Windows-based interface and writes the html in the background. I've pretty much learnt the html as I've gone along so that I'm now comfortable checking through the html too, double checking for errors and so on (the html can be clumsy sometimes and benefit from streamlining).

On the study course, we were taught how to write webpages with 'layers', something that Dreamweaver is particularly good at. I set up our family site using layers, but have since grown to like using nested tables instead - very simple and very easy to do once you know how. And usually quicker to open, I think. For eBay I have a simple template I generated in Dreamweaver that uses tables, but really it would be quite straight-forward to handcode something like that once the jargon is understood. If anyone wants the basic coding for nested tables, just let me know - I'd be happy to help  bear_original

Polo, IL

I think I am going to buy coffee cup and go from there.  bear_innocent

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Debbie - You are welcome. Danni told me about it and I'm wondering if I ever properly thanked her????  bear_flower

I've heard Dreamweaver is the best too, from professional webmasters even... many of them. But it's all way beyond my comprehension so I'll stick with WYSISYG programs for now! (Thanks, Jared... never knew what that meant!  :doh: )

Board footer