Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

ladyjujuann Pearl Button Bears
Bournemouth

small-panda.jpgId love to introduce you to Bamboo Jim... a first panda and a bit of a practice. I really like this pattern and can see how to tweak it a bit in the head region (like the compact body look) but I have found it a bit tricky to add the eye patches... is there an easy way of doing this? I struggled a bit and the stitching was quite hard, the eye patches are in but there not the best really... so if any one has any advice Id love some tips...  bear_grin
xxxx Julie xxxx

Andrea Artemis bears
Devon

He's a little cutie i love the colour! I would also like to try a panda and would be very interested to know how to do the eye patches. Are Jim's sewn into the head as pieces before the whole head is stitched or sewn on top of the fur after? If that makes sense

Andrea xx

Nancy D Dog Patch Critters
Titusville, FL
Website

zumiclupsml.jpgI have to admit to cheating on eye patches for Pandas. I use matching prismacolor markers and paint/draw them in. I love your pattern! Really like the "chunky look". Zumi is a recent panda of mine.

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

bear_wub bear_wub  What a cutie!  Love the color! bear_thumb

As for your question about the patches, I sew mine on after the head is stuffed and needle sculpted, with the fur trimmed away underneath where the patches are going.  Though I once also painted the patches with oils on a little bear....the color was a perfect match, so no problem that time.  When sewing, I turn under the edges of the patch fabric, which has already been thoroughly fray checked by the way, as I sew, and use a ladder type of stitching so it all but disappears.  I will admit, it is a bit fiddly and takes some time to sew around the patches this way.  I've only done a handful of pandas really, so haven't put a whole lot of effort into finding an easier method.  I also would love to hear any other ideas/techniques.  Julie, perhaps you might want to pose this question in the Tips & Techniques area as well so more might see it?

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

You could give the needlefelting for this, I have tried it and it worked.

ladyjujuann Pearl Button Bears
Bournemouth

Hi ... thank you for the tips... ahhh sneeky with the colouring in the eye patches!!! :clap:  Nancy are Zumi's eye patches done this way... the colour match is spot on!

Andrea yes I stitched the patches into the head before sewing, I cut out a hole in the white for the blue to be stitched into the hole... difficult to describe and do, I have to say I thought it would be easier  bear_wacko ... perhaps in a bigger bear??? Jim is about 4 inches or so.

Tracy... I will give that a go also... I think its a case of practice and finding what works for you... it looks so simple bit its not!

Thank you ladies from Jim and I!
xxx Julie xxx :hug:

Board footer