Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Does anyone have any suggestions for dying a tibetan lamb's wool pelt?  I would appreciate any ideas you may have.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Hmmm I likely wouldn't , I 'd purchase it already dyed.  Real fur is far to difficult to to do on a  at home scale, I would leave it to the professionals.   It's not the fur so much as the leather, it has to be treated and the proper chemicals need to be used to dye the fur correctly.

We have tried dying fur in the past and it was an awful experience, now I just buy the fur dyed the colour I want lol.

big hugs 

Shane

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Thank you Shane.  That may be the route I will take.  I have a white pelt, and as usual, my mind is running in all directions.  I have so many ideas on using it, but not in white.  I do need a small bit in a specific color, but I may just order that.

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

I agree with Shane...  If you try to dye the whole pelt, it will weaken the pelt & it will fall apart.  I tried it & yes... what a mess!   :doh:  You can dip just the ends of the fur in a dye & heat set it, but it is a lot of work & often takes repeated dying to get the colour you want.  You also want to make sure that when drying the fur, you don't get the pelt wet.  It's much easier to buy the pelt in the colour you want.  bear_thumb

Board footer