Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

artbyrjandreae artbyrjandreae
Johannesburg, California

Starting on August 31st, eBay is going to institute a new policy where photos you upload to any listing are put into a "catalog" of online images that any eBay user can then use for their own listings. The default setting for this is opt-in, which is a problem if you, like me, consider your photographs your property and want to control how they are used and by whom. A copyright notice is posted with a link to your user profile, but no additional information is given, and the link is quite small.

Since the default setting is opt-in, and eBay has not sent messages out about this, a lot of people are going to be caught flat-footed by this new policy.

Again, the default for this setting is YES, you have opted in. Meaning "Yes, I will allow eBay to make my photos available for anyone to use."

If you do not want eBay to make the photos you upload to all of your future auctions available to other users in a sort of catalog process, you need to go change your settings now, before August 31st. If you opt out after then, any photos you upload between the 31st and when you opt out will still be eligible for inclusion in their "catalog."

In order to opt out of this so-not-okay process, do the following. I've broken it down exhaustively. Hopefully your eBay pages look like mine.

1) Go to your eBay summary page ("My eBay").

2) On the left-hand side, there are three tabs that say "Activity," "Messages," and "Account." Hover over the "Account" tab.

3) A drop-down list will appear. Move your mouse down to "Site Preferences" and click.

4) You will be taken to a page with a list of site options for selling, shipping, and listing. About the sixth from the top is "Share your Photos." Click on the word "show" on the right hand side next to this option.

5) The box will expand, and if you are opted in, "yes" will appear. If you are opted out, "no" will appear. A small "edit" link will appear below the "show" link. If you want to change the settings, click "edit."

6) You will be taken to a new page with the following text: If you'd like to opt-out of this program, please do so by checking this box and clicking the "submit" button below.
(If you opt-out before August 31, 2009, none of your photos will be considered for inclusion in this program unless you opt back in at a later time. If you opt-out after August 31, 2009, any photos we select for inclusion in this program prior to your opt-out may continue to be used in the catalog)

7) If you want to opt out of the program, check the ticky box on the left-hand side next to the text, then go down and click the "submit" button.

8) You will go back to the settings screen you were just on, and there will be a green checkmark and a confirmation message. Go down to the "Share your Photos" option again and click "show." Your setting should now appear as "no."

Yet another crazy idea by eBay.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Robin,
     Kelly had a post about this the other day - problem is about half of us do not have the "share your photos" under site preferences and don't know what to do now.

hugs

Brenda

artbyrjandreae artbyrjandreae
Johannesburg, California

That's weird? Maybe they're just offering it to Powersellers?

2catkiss LALand Bears
Oregon

Hi everyone.  I'm so confused by this.  Why would anyone else want to use my photos?  They are of a one of a kind unique design artist teddy bear.  Is this photo sharing more for the seller who sells common items like a "Red Flyer wagon" and comes across a good picture in the catalog?  Or is it for ebay to use in their advertising?I want to be sure I understand it, but my feeling is I will opt out anyway. 

sign me...confused..... :doh:

Kind Regards
Lee Ann

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

I think ebay has gone completely nuts! Who wants to buy something - unless something like an unopened DVD -when the pic you are seeing is from their "catalogue" and not the actual item you are buying!!!! Why on earth would ebay even want to think of making it easier for sellers to dupe buyers in this way??? I want to see the EXACT item I am buying - from many angles! - in 95% of the cases!
I wonder if it is only US sellers whose photos they are planning on using since it seems those of us from other countries can't see that drop down item?

karenaus Melbourne
Website

That whole 'brilliant idea' is just ridiculous- as you say Edie, when you buy something, you want to see the *exact item* you are buying! Have to wonder if it's going to make it easier for scammers as well, no longer will they have to use obviously stock photos for listings, that's one of the dead giveaways of a scammers listing. Hmm I wonder if this is because Ebay got sick of dealing with "they stole my photo" emails?????? bear_whistle

Then again there is the opt out- how many people who think its ok to steal pics now will play dumb and say "Oh I thought it was ok to use other people's photos" because it IS ok with Ebay to use certain other people's photos.

There is perhaps *one* positive thing for us bear artists- I don't know about others who have seen their work resold on Ebay, but sometimes new owners aren't as good at presenting your work as you would be...

Us Bears Pennsylvania

This is why God invented watermarks.  Isn't it?

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Good point, Us Bears.  But unless watermarks cover the entire image, they can be trimmed off.  And if they're in a critical area, they can be covered over (clone stamp, etc.) using Photoshop.  Both of these, for the persistent!  But persistent people are out there.

Good ol' eBay.  (sigh)  It's always been so good to me when I've been actively selling.  But it's getting harder and harder to feel safe and comfortable there... bear_sad

Us Bears Pennsylvania

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

1)  You can simply superimpose text or a trademark logo over the image.  As you say, people might be able to crop it out.
However, if you are creative in placing it, it will be difficult.  Superimpose it between the Bears arms and legs or right above his head.  If the person tries to crop out your watermark, he will have to cut off part of the Bear too.

2)  You can make the watermark partially transparent so it can be superimposed right over the Bear's image.  Any attempt to remove the watermark will destroy the image.

3)  You could be sneaky like me.  Here's something you probably never noticed...
Way back, last November I made some banners for Pipkin's Bears (Jane)

PipkinRG.gif

PipkinP.gif

Take a careful look at those images.  Look closely.  Right under the part of the name where it says, ".COM"
You'll see some numbers hidden in the background.  That's my codename.  "11811"
The untrained eye won't see it but those in the know can.

If you made a semi-visible watermark like that you could very easily hide it in a Bear's fur.  Nobody would ever notice...  Until you busted them for stealing your stuff.  And you've got proof.  That's my name right there in your picture!

4)  You can INVISIBLY watermark pictures.  There are several methods to do this.  Chief among them is one called "Digimarc"
Hidden codes are encrypted into the picture so that they can be recovered by special software.  These codes can survive being copied and, if done correctly, can even survive being printed out on paper and being scanned on a scanner!
Digimarc also offers a service that goes out on the Web and finds secretly marked pictures and reports back to the copyright owner if it finds one.

All those are well and good.  I have used every one of them.  But there is something better!

Jujitsu!

Use your enemy's own force against himself!

Go to any website where you see lots of models or movie stars. 

Look at the Oscars:
http://www.oscar.com/redcarpet/?pn=gallery&g=0&i=9

Look at any Hollywood gossip site:
http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/galle … en-choice/

Isn't it weird how just about every one of those sites has a "conveniently" placed background in every picture with the logo of the event or website prominently displayed?

You'll never be able to crop that out!
Furthermore, every time somebody tries to steal that picture, all they are doing is to advertise the original website.

Sooo...
Why can't you use Jujitsu in your photos?

Make a background that has the name and logo of your website in it.
Photograph every one of your Bears in front of that background.
Let people copy them!  Go ahead!
Every time they copy one of your pictures they are doing nothing but giving you FREE ADVERTISING!

I use every one of these tricks in my pictures that I post on the internet.

Why not print up a little sign and have your Bears hold it up while they pose for their picture?

Bears like to be sneaky sometimes!   bear_rolleyes  bear_tongue

minkbears Vintage Mink Bears by Kathy Myers
Lakewood CA
Website

Thanks, Robin, for the detailed directions...I marked it "NO" because, I agree, that I don't want anyone else using my photos
bear_thumb
Kathy

smdogs gone to the dogs/sm dog designs
Kansas City Missouri
Website

Hi all,

I just went to ebay and here is the information from there July update newsetter about the photos they are using for there catalog. I hope this will clear up some of the mystry.

Product pages surfacing to more buyers: eBay catalog product pages continue to be surfaced for more and more buyers. An expanded "Great Savings" box will feature listings from three PowerSellers instead of just one. To qualify for the Great Savings box, you need to be a Top-rated seller or meet the PowerSeller requirements as defined for April 2010.

These pages have a higher sell-through rate than search results pages, and eBay is continuing to expand and improve the eBay product catalog to include more categories.

Starting September 1, 2009, eBay will begin selecting sellers' photos for inclusion in the eBay product catalog. If your photo is chosen, an attribution including your user ID and a link to your profile page will be included on the product details page under your picture each time it's displayed. This attribution can give you significant additional exposure.

If you'd rather opt out of this program, please do so through My eBay as described here. To ensure your pictures are not considered for inclusion in the eBay product catalog starting September 1, you need to opt out by August 31, 2009 at 23:59:59 PT.

You can opt out any time after that as well, but any pictures we select starting September 1 during a time you are not opted out may continue to be used in the catalog at our discretion.

TAKE ACTION:

List with product details whenever they're available to make sure your listings appear on the eBay product pages. See more best practices.

Qualify to get your items featured in the product page Great Savings box.

To increase your chances of having your photos selected for the eBay product catalog with your user ID and link to your profile page, follow these simple guidelines: Upload clear, high resolution photos at least 1000 x 1000 pixels and do not include watermarks.

If you don't want your photos used in the eBay product catalog, you can opt out at any time through My eBay. To ensure your pictures are not selected starting September 1, you need to opt out by August 31, 2009 at 23:59:59 PT. You can opt out any time after that as well, but any pictures selected starting September 1 during a time you are not opted out may continue to be used in the catalog.

Sheryl

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

Thanks Sheryl so much for posting!!! bear_original

Sheryl.
     Does it explain why some of us don't even have that option listed in our "preferences"?  Is is because we are from other countries than the US?

smdogs gone to the dogs/sm dog designs
Kansas City Missouri
Website

Hi Brenda

They did not say anything about anyone from other countries. I just copied what they had in the newsletter. You might check under your messages tab on your my ebay. I did receive a messege about this and other changes coming to ebay. The message had a link to the July newsletter with a better explantion of all the up coming changes.

Robin has layed out how to find it in her post. I would think everyone has this option under there my account no matter what country they live in.

I am so sorry I could not do more to help. I do have a another suggustion---- (you do need to be signed in) Go down to the bottom of your account page and click on Policies. This gives you all of ebays rules and regulations. I would think it should tell you something about the shared photos if they have listed them. Or click on there site map link which is also at the bottom of the page it shows you your account there so you can click on your preferences there. It shows share your photos link there just click across from it at the far right on the word show.

Please let me know if anyone is having problems and I can see what I can do to help.

sheryl

Sheryl
     I've tried everywhere, but no answers.  I use Auctiva and I watermark all my ebay photos, so I'm going to delete the last 3 months worth of photos and keep writing my name all over my pics, which should stop them from picking any of mine anyway.

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Make a sign that says, "I was designed by..." then put your Bear den's name and logo.

Just put that sign in every picture.  The Bear can hold it.  She can stand in front of it.  She can lean up against it.  Make it so the sign is an integral part of the picture that can't be cropped out.

You can get creative in how you put the sign into your pictures.
The Bear can climb it.  He can stand on top of as if he just conquered Mt. Everest.

When the sign becomes a part of the picture it also becomes part of your trademark.
It's like Elvis in a gold lamé jumpsuit.  Elvis just wouldn't be Elvis without it!  bear_happy

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

I have two ebay accounts, one for buying and one for selling.  I found the link to opt out of sharing pix on my sellers account, and opted out.  I couldn't find the link on my buyers account, it wasn't there.  I think that's because I've never sold from that account.
This perhaps is one reason some may not be finding the link, another is ebay's desire to drive us all nuts.  bear_wacko

Board footer