Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Can you please explain the difference between artifical sinew and the waxy thread commonly used for setting eyes.  I have some of the waxy eye thread which I purchased early on from Edinburgh...I now use my upholstery thread for nearly everything.

And...can someone explain why you wax your thread?  I understand it is to make it stronger but I can I'm being dense and don't understand how...and doesn't it make it slickery?

Thanks...

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hey Shantell.
I don't wax my thread. What I use to sculpt the face with and put in the eyes is called artificial sinue. I find it in the leather working section of my craft store.
I have no idea what you've bought from Edinburgh, but it's probably the same stuff I use.
I know some people wax their sewing thread, when  hand sewing because then it doesn't tangle as much.
I don't see why you can use upholstery thread, it's strong. The only reason I like the sinue, is because it sticks well and I don't have to worry about loosing my tension.
That's about all I know,

Dilu Posts: 8,574

real sinew is from animals and was used as 'thread' when sewing leather.  It is very very very strong and comes from (usually) buffalo, dear elk and it basically was made from the tendons and ligaments that hold us together.  I guess mooses and other types of animals would also provide it. 

Artificial sinew is really a nylon thread that has been made in such a way that it is very very strong as well.  I have been told that it can often be separated into 2 or 3 different  threads so I take that to mean that it is spun together along the same lines of yarn only tighter.

Waxed thread is supposed to go through tough stuff more easily, although now we have silicon liquids that we can use that work as well.  Although the hubs still likes to use thev waxed thread when he repairs some of his leather pieces.

I use a product called sewer's aid that is a liquid silicon product, it is useful for machine embroidery or if I am having trouble pulling a thread something thick, like when making real fur bears.

I actually prefer to use upholstery thread for closing up the gols and teds, but not the mini's.....  On the mini's I use doubled silk thread.

I hope this answers your questions.....

:hug:  bear_wub  :hug:

dilu

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I hate artificial sinew... it is sticky BLEECH!  I use upholstry thread except when I close something with short pile and then I use monofiliment thread... I also use either upholstry thread to sculpt... :)

I actually have a pretty big roll of it and dont know what to do with it because I dislike it so much... it was expensive too, like $12.00

Board footer