Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

articicle Posts: 119

Hi, I'm a non-professional bear maker. I've just made two for fun to give to friends. My question is what options do I have in making the joints?  In the ones I made I just used a very heavy thread and kept going from the body to the arm over and over, with just a tiny bit of play.  I want the arms and legs to move a bit... But I'm wondering if there is more of a homestyle version rather than the fancy commercial kind of the joint things.

What did the first teddy makers do for joints?

Are there tricks you can do with buttons to make them? 

Thanks for the replies!  A link with a picture would rock... or detialed explainations.  Like I said I just did two bears for fun.  I can't even sew neatly or know any fancy stiches.   :redface:   I hope to make a small bear next (around 4 inches sitting... it would be cooler to do something smaller than a beanie baby if I could pull it off) .  So far the two I made were about 10 inches sitting. 

Articicle- Alan

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

What did the first teddy makers do for joints?

I recently destroyed a very nice early American bear, cry... I saved the fabric and all the joints, I plan to somehow remake it. The joints are made from heavy cardboard, not corrugated cardboard, just plain., they are used with cotterpins.  I think you could glue several sheets together and use that for joints.  You can also use metal washers from the hardware store, attaching them with cotterpins or locknuts and bolts.
Joanne

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I've seen buttons used on the outer side of limbs, but I think those are mostly decorative. The jointing is still thread jointing, exactly as you've done before.

Joanne is right about the earliest disk joints, and there were also some early "rod-jointed" bears that had heavy metal wires connecting the joints, but those bears fell out of favor quickly.

Are you a wood-worker, by any chance? The disks can be made of wood, but I think the problem might be making them thin enough. Joanne's "ply-cardboard" idea might work better.

Good luck!

Becky

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

I replaced the head on a bear that was approx 50 years old and there was a thick wooden disk and a huge cotterpin which must have been used for a tractor or something!! :crackup:  :crackup:

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Hey, welcome back Alan  bear_original  What about using a cutting some discs from  thick plastic, and using a small washer and cotterpin to attach them to the bear.  Maybe cut up a storage container or plastic garbage can from the dollar store  ? Worth a try.

You might also be able to buy small plastic joint sets at a local craft store relatively inexpensively.

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

My husband has used a hole-saw to cut my discs from craft wood.....and the washers and cotter pins I get from the local hardware store...

Board footer