Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Rather than doing the research myself, thought I'd just pose this probably easy question to one of our international members, or someone in the US who dials the UK with regularity.

I have to send a fax to the UK.

The fax number I have been given looks like this:  XXXXX XXXXXX
(five digits, space, six digits.)

What do I need to dial, in addition to that phone number, to reach the UK from the US?  When I used to live in Zurich and if I was visiting home and wanted to call my fiance, I used to have to dial something like 011 41 1... and THEN the phone number.

I don't have a fax machine and so have to go use the local UPS Store.  And, sad to say, those people are somewhat dim bulbs.

Thanks for saving me the legwork, anyone who knows how to do this.

bear_happy

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Hey Shelli...

I use to work in international admission at our local college...okay I WAS international admission..this is what I did...and it worked most of the time... :)

011 (international calling code)
44 (United Kingdom)
20 (the city code for example London)...

then the numbers they gave you.

This SHOULD work...but as mentioned before depending on where you are calling it can be difficult to get connected.

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

You want the international dialing code like Shantell said, the 44, which is the Uk, then the first code is area like 01782 is for mine Stoke-on-Trent, then of course the next is the actual phone number. Good luck.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

So it should work if I dial

011 44 XXXXX XXXXXX

Is the six-digit, last part, the actual phone number?

We have seven-digit phone numbers in the US, preceeded by a three-digit area code, if you're calling out of area.

Willamette Valley Oregon

What city are you trying to fax to and we can look it up to make sure it's the "city code"...but I think you are safe.  Every country has a different amount of numbers in their phone numbers...it's confusing.

Try faxing to Botswana...HA!!!

clare14 Country Bears
England

Hi Shelli,

I have no knowledge of dialling abroad,  :doh:    but the phone numbers over here have a 5 digit code and a 6 digit actual number, so I'm sure what you've said is correct.

Good luck!!   bear_wub

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

No clue what city I'm calling, otherwise I'd have looked it up myself.  Will give it a go and let you all know how to proceed.

Clare, thanks for the info.  Interesting!

Willamette Valley Oregon

You know you have to let us know if it worked or not?  We'll all be waiting to hear?  No photo's necessary  bear_grin

Willamette Valley Oregon

Oops...sorry Shelli...for some reason I thought you knew what city you were dialing...silly me.

Good Luck!!

Board footer