Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

sushi The Wild Things
Oer-Erkenschwick

Have a  look at this link. Found the picture this morning in our newspaper.

http://www.bild.de/BILD/regional/leipzi … r-zoo.html

The article is in German, but it says that this poor soul (living in a zoo in Leipzig, Germany) has lost his hair. They don't now why, but think that it could be a gene-deffect or a stress reaction. bear_cry

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Oh the poor bear I do hope they can help him.  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

Hugs, Jane.  bear_sad

puca bears puca bears

Poor baby - I saw the piccie this morning in a British newspaper (online).........lets hope they can do something for him
huggies
Maria

Carlyle Bear Co. Carlyle Bear Co.
Ft Myers FL

Poor thing.  Maybe we could all take our little odds and ends pieces of mohair and make him a bear suit to wear until his fur grows back. bear_smile

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

I saw the picture in our online newspaper as well: it was so sad  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry .

Apparently nobody knows why they lost their hair (a genetic default ?); I do hope they find a remedy for these two unfortunate animals  :pray: .

Hugs  :hug:

Peterbear

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Being in the hair business for so many years I know that this happens with humans.  It is an autoimmune problem in humans.  Every stitch of hair goes.  You think it is bad for the bear, I have seen this happen twice on women, eyelashes, eyebrows everything goes.  I do not think there is a cure, one women I knew it did come back but not for quite some time.

I actually saved this picture on my computer, I can really see the lines of the bear, I think it will help me with designing.

Joanne

Us Bears Pennsylvania

So sad for the bears!   bear_cry

I wonder if somebody knitted them a sweater, would they wear it?
They need something to keep them warm until this gets sorted out.

Y'Know, I like Joanne's idea.
I can imagine how seeing the bear's actual shape instead of their outline in fur would make it easier to design realistic looking Bears and the clothing to fit them.

At least the bear's troubles wouldn't be all for naught.

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

aww, so Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't very fuzzy after all  bear_cry   Hope they can help them, at least with a jumper or something in the meantime!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh dear, those very unfortunate bears!  Won't they get sunburned without protection?  And then in the winter, they'll freeze.  They do need some sort of outfit until the hair grows back . . . if it does.   bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad

Woodbury Park Bears Woodbury Park Bears
Central Coast New South Wales

These poor bears  bear_cry how awful for them how will they keep warm with winter coming? bear_cry  bear_cry

I'm so sad for them.

I'm sure the zoo must be doing everything they can?

Can't read german and haven't seen anything down here in Australia about them don't usually get these stories.

Raewyn

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Google Translate is your friend!  :lol:
http://translate.google.com/translate?h … r-zoo.html

The site does have an English version but I wasn't able to locate the story in the English site so I used Google to translate instead.  It's a fairly faithful translation.

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

Thank you Susan for the link.
This is so sad.
I read the whole article and it says that this has not been seen anywhere in the wild in the entire world which leads me to think it's stress causing it or something to do with being in held in captivity. Sad really. They fear the bear will die if something can not be done. It is making sores on it's body causing infections and suffering like someone would who has Psoriasis and or bad Eczema.
Heartbreaking. bear_cry

Woodbury Park Bears Woodbury Park Bears
Central Coast New South Wales

Thanks Us bears

I've got the story now and still a very sad situation  bear_cry  It has to be stress related being in captivity I'm sure. Like the little story about the baby giraffe on the same page  bear_original

Raewyn

sushi The Wild Things
Oer-Erkenschwick

Just have found an English link:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne … -vets.html

They also have  more pics.

Yes, it must be a nightmare if something like this happens to a human being.

Greetings from Susan

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

Aw, that is so sad!  Poor guy, I hope they can help him!

Murrieta, California

The link I read in English didn't include a picture of one with it's full coat like this one did. It's nice to see one with it's coat on!! I hope the others soon have theirs back!

Us Bears Pennsylvania

I think that was a "before" picture.

Murrieta, California

I was talking about the bear in the English link. Not the original link.
It's not of the bears that lost their fur.

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Yes, in the link to dailymail.co.uk, (the one that Susan posted) the caption under the fourth picture from the top of the page says:

Full head of hair: These is how Dolores would have looked before she lost her fur. The spectacled bears have a thick, dark coat normally.

The picture is either a bear that has not lost its hair or one of a bear before its hair fell out.  The caption is unclear on which is true.

Pat Klein Faux Paw Bears
Tallahassee, Florida

There are better photos and more of them on Huffington post with this article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/0 … 46904.html

What will these animals do about winter?

Board footer