Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

RainbowBits Posts: 43

I'm getting tired of using cotter pins, they are a pain in the butt! lol I bought the cotter pin tool which is worthless.
I see people use a screw and nut? or bolt? Is this something i can buy at a hardware store?
Can you tell me what exactly its called so i know what to ask for?
Thanks so much bear_original

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

You get a bolt with a lock nut.  You have to get a small one that fits your disk...take two of them with you so you can get the right size...

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I had no luck at the hardware store since there are dozens of sizes and they're sold by the piece, so I got them at Edinburgh Imports (perhaps Intercal has them, too?). If you have a question or need help, just drop them an email and Lisa will get back to you promptly. (I LOVE that!)

Becky

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

teeeej Brisbane

I bought a cotter pin turner as well. I don't use it, I use a pair of pliers instead, much easier. I find it easier to buy my bolts/nuts/washers from a teddy bear supplies store (much easier then trying to work out what is what from the hardware store!). You can also buy sets which contain all the bolts and nuts and washers and discs all in one! Good idea for when you are first trying them out and don't want to buy them in bulk.

Thanks so much :)
funny i shop from intercal every week and i never thought to look for anything on their site other than mohair lol
im not sure what size it need, so this is confusing, i only use 1" and 1" 3/4 discs, they seem to have the same hole size
i will try Lowes
anyone have a pic of one so i know what to look for? intercal had no pictures of them

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Here's a pic of the lock nuts. (They go with the TBs -- tap bolts -- a little higher up on the page.) http://www.edinburghimports.com/shoppin … 92364=S034

There are only two "hole sizes" (depending on the disks and washers that you use), and I highly recommend getting these from a teddy bear supplier. (I think you'll see what I mean if you go to Lowe's.)

Becky

Thanks dangerbears! bear_original

and they stay tight on the joint? they cant unscrew with time?
i will try it out bear_original

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

RainbowBits wrote:

Thanks so much :)
funny i shop from intercal every week and i never thought to look for anything on their site other than mohair lol
im not sure what size it need, so this is confusing, i only use 1" and 1" 3/4 discs, they seem to have the same hole size
i will try Lowes
anyone have a pic of one so i know what to look for? intercal had no pictures of them

If you scroll up a little on the Intercal link, you will see a photo of the machine screws, locknuts, washers, and cotter pins.  Then scroll up more and you will find all the disc sizes.  They also have joint sets, which makes your purchase even easier (when you know the sizes you need).

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
RainbowBits wrote:

and they stay tight on the joint? they cant unscrew with time?.

That's the idea, at least. The lock nuts have a plastic sleeve that makes them very secure. If you crank them down too tightly during the jointing process, you can still loosen them up using the nut drivers, but they resist loosening just from normal use.

Good luck! (and thank you, Sue Ann. It's good to know about the joint sets for those times when you don't need 100 of something!)

Becky

Board footer