Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Densteds Densteds
Website

Hi everyone,

I was just browsing the bear listings on ebay and came across this disgusting listing, I reported it straight away...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll … 0535308908

BFB-Lyn Brimbin Forest Bears
NSW, Australia
Website

bear_noexpression I so agree with you Denise and I'm glad you reported it. I took a look and had a read of the description which didn't seem quite right to me - all very ify - this person should be ashamed but I doubt it  bear_angry

Hugs Lyn  bear_flower

Us Bears Pennsylvania

I don't think the guy is being purposely dishonest but it's not worth the price he's asking for it.

As he says in his description, it is "many, many" years old.  Plus it was stored wrong.  He admits it.  On top of that he says it has been repaired.  This means it has suffered damage.  I can guarantee the hide is dried out and falling apart.
At one time, that was a very expensive bear skin rug.  Now it is a moth eaten piece of junk.  The guy has an inflated sense of its value just because it is a family heirloom.

I wouldn't give $5.00 for it.

Personally, I don't have a problem with hunting but I don't care for sport hunting.  In days gone-by, it was an acceptable thing to do but, today, it is not.  As far as I am concerned, if you shoot an animal you should eat it.  Few people today have a taste for bear meat.  I don't really care for it, myself. On those grounds, I just would never shoot a bear unless it was for defense.  If that day ever comes, I would make sure that nothing goes to waste.  I would find somebody who would use the meat.  The skin, I would have tanned and make it into something useful or donate it to a museum.

Hunting is okay with me.  Deer, small game or birds all make good hunting and good food.  As long as the take is eaten or used for something useful, I'm all right with it.  Deer hide makes fine leather.  Rabbit pelts would make a nice hat or pair of mittens to keep you warm.

On the other side of the coin, I am NOT in favor of sport hunting!  Not only do I think it's a waste of resources but I don't see any point in it.  People who hunt for sport really aren't thinking.

I agree with you that this listing should not be allowed.
Many kinds of wildlife items are not allowed on eBay.  Bear products are specifically not allowed.  (I checked the rules to be sure.)
So, it does concern me that the guy is trying to sell a prohibited product on eBay by skirting the rules.  He's selling a substandard product to boot.

However, I do not agree with getting so upset about it.
Let me ask...  How many of you have posted here when somebody else made trouble for your eBay auction?  Ask yourself if it is right for you to make trouble for other people based on your personal beliefs.

You don't like it when people make trouble for you.  Why should you make trouble for other people.  It just spreads bad karma.

Now, I'll concede that this guy should get reported for breaking the rules but I don't think it's right to get your fur in a bunch just because somebody shot a bear, probably 30 or 40 years ago.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

OK, so I sort of agree with US bears. If selling bear wildlife stuff on eBay was allowed then there really wouldn't be anything wrong with this listing. He's been honest, took good pictures I think (I tried not to look too hard) and is simply asking way too much. I'm thinking he could have found some other category to list it in.

However, I do NOT agree with hunting PERIOD unless it is for pure survival purposes. Survival of self or survival of pets/livestock on one's own land. But that's just my opinion. Still, I can't stop others from doing it or showing off their prizes and have been known to get my fur in a bunch... if only in my own head, silently mourning for those poor animals and cursing the heartless people responsible.
bear_ermm

Densteds Densteds
Website
Us Bears wrote:

However, I do not agree with getting so upset about it.
Let me ask...  How many of you have posted here when somebody else made trouble for your eBay auction?  Ask yourself if it is right for you to make trouble for other people based on your personal beliefs.

You don't like it when people make trouble for you.  Why should you make trouble for other people.  It just spreads bad karma.

Now, I'll concede that this guy should get reported for breaking the rules but I don't think it's right to get your fur in a bunch just because somebody shot a bear, probably 30 or 40 years ago.

The trouble is that  this type of sport shooting is still occurring, that's why I've got my "fur in a bunch"

As for me spreading bad karma and causing trouble for people, give me a break  bear_wacko

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

Thanks for posting Denise.
I was surprised it was still up.
So I reported it too.
Maybe you should throw some salt over your shoulder just to be on the safe side. bear_original

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Some people do eat bear.  Don't care for it, myself.  Tried it.  Just don't like it.
I've tried many other kinds of meat from mutton/lamb to goat and small game.  They are all right.  Not my favorites, mind you.  I'd rather stick to beef, pork, poultry and fish.  They are easier to come by and easier to prepare.
I'd certainly rather people didn't shoot bears but, if it was for survival or self defense, do what you've got to do.

The bottom line is that I'm not happy about people shooting bears unnecessarily, either.

My main issue is that the guy has this raggedy, old bearskin rug that he thinks is worth $5,000 but it's probably not worth 1/10th of that.  It's a family heirloom and he feels pressured to get rid of it so he's trying to get some money for it.  He thinks it's valuable because of his family history.

What I think he should do is to find a museum and donate it.  That institution could write him a letter stating the value of the donation which he could then list as a charitable donation on his tax return.  He'd get satisfaction out of that and the bearskin would not go to waste.  Other people could learn from it.

Just to make myself clear (which I frequently do not  :redface: ) I am not directing my comment about karma at you or anybody, in particular.  However, I see many people on this website and others who feel upset when somebody singles out their eBay auction for some perceived infraction, whether it be real or imagined.  These things always turn into some moral battle about who is right and who is wrong.

In this case, you would be RIGHT to report the guy because it is an infraction of the rules.  It's a fairly serious one, in my book because there is a strong black market for bear products in China and other Asian countries.  They think bear claws, teeth and organs have magical powers.  There are international laws to prevent the black market killing of bears and other animals.  Reporting this prohibited item helps uphold laws.

(Like I said, I think the guy should donate the thing to a museum.)

I wasn't getting down on you or anybody else.  I was just suggesting that creating a fuss, regardless of who is fussing, rarely has a happy outcome for all involved.

Murrieta, California

Come on now Randy!!!!
I have seen you do this over and over again and you can't tell me you aren't sitting there with a big ol' smile on your face!!
You say things to get others all riled up and then take it back.
PLEEEEEESE!!!!!!

Densteds Densteds
Website
Bubble-Up Bears wrote:

Thanks for posting Denise.
I was surprised it was still up.
So I reported it too.
Maybe you should throw some salt over your shoulder just to be on the safe side. :)

Cyndee,
I'm surprised it's still there too, and I just noticed the price has dropped $1000, obviously he wants to try and sell it before ebay removes the listing.
As far as I'm concerned, making money from the death, abuse & degradation of animals is intolerable, no matter whether it happened 30 years ago or yesterday.

Thanks for reporting it, :rose:

ps I tossed some salt, maybe it will protect me from the bad karma   bear_whistle

Murrieta, California

Good girl!  bear_grin
I didn't notice the price drop. I bet he is concerned!! He may have recieved some emails from other eBayr's as well telling him a thing or two.
Thanks for the update. bear_original

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Denise, I too have reported this sale. I don't care what anyone else has to say about it, because it is just WRONG.

Others can point out their opinions if they wish, but it still come down to being disgusting. I'm 100% with you Denise, you have nothing to throw salt for. Others may wish to sit back and think about how sad this is that some people feel it ok to kill an animal, not for food, but fun, my god, have they no heart.
Sorry, this is not my usual way to join in on TT, but this has me stirred up and made me feel very sad, for more than one reason.

Hugs to you Denise. Jane.  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Densteds Densteds
Website

Thanks Jane, it is very sad that people will try to make money from selling some poor dead animal and it made it worse because it was listed in the bear category, for heavens sake, as if any bear lover would want it...

Cyndee, that's very strange I just looked again and the price had gone back up, I just wish ebay would hurry up and remove it.

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

I've reported it as well. What gets me is the seller knows it is against policy - the listing even says so. considering how much they crack down on some things - you would have thought it would be gone by now?

puca bears puca bears

Me too - I think it's GROSS, horrible - you name it! But I'm pretty sure I've seen one or two black bear pelts on ebay before........
I don't know    what customs rules are on export of bear parts, except that one ebay seller who has FAUX bear claws did say that it's illegal in the US.
Incidentally, the BBC ran a news report last week on the slaughter of Asian Black bears in Eastern Russia, ALL to supply the Chinese demand for bear parts.......... which was terribly upsetting to see. They showed a truck , which had been stopped in transit - with FOUR HUNDRED bear paws........... it's just awful.........
huggies
Maria

Murrieta, California

Maria I saw that report too. I'm sure it was the same one. A friend sent me the news link and it made me sick to my stomach.
Poor animals.
Denise I too saw the price reduction but so strange he has gone back up. Weird!!
Anyway I decided to call eBay and report it this time and the complaint taker (Ivan) said it would be removed shortly.
I hope so. bear_original

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

[size=26]Yay, it's gone![/size]

Hugs, Jane.

jillanne UX'BEARies
Toronto

It appears the good work of TT members has worked ... the listing has been removed.
HURRAY!!!

Cheers
Jill

Murrieta, California

Alright!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bear_original

puca bears puca bears

Great!!!!!!!!!!! BEAR power  does it again :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:
huggies
Maria

BFB-Lyn Brimbin Forest Bears
NSW, Australia
Website

:clap:  :clap: Way to go!  bear_thumb

Hugs Lyn  bear_flower

Densteds Densteds
Website

Thanks to all for helping to have this abhorrent listing removed  :clap: ....as Maria said...Bear power does it again!!

A special thanks to our dear Cyndee for ringing ebay, which obviously really put the pressure on them to remove it.....   bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

I noticed it was gone too.  Good!

Board footer