Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

puca bears puca bears

Some of you may be interested to see this.....the folks at the N.American Bear Center have installed a webcam in the den of Lily, a three-year-old Black bear, who is due to give birth to her first cubs in a couple of weeks.
Watching a black bear sleeping in a dark den is a bit like watching paint dry at times (tho strangely restful!), but I've been rewarded a couple of times this morning by seeing her "wake", scratch and give the most ginormous yawn directly to camera........fascinating stuff, and I'm sure when the cubs arrive, my bear production rate (slow at the best of times) will be significantly slower......
I'm actually working on a black bear cub now, and was idly thinking......Lily has got it EASY - she can do this in her sleep :crackup:
Anyway - just go to www.bear.org/website
huggies
Maria

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

Thanks for the link.

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

The link would not open for me...

Murrieta, California

It opened for me Lenora.
Don't tell me I broke it!!!!!! bear_wacko

Missouri
Website

bear_sad  I just tried again and it would not open...don't know if it is my computer or perhaps they are working on the sight?

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

Lenora,  I couldn't log on to the site either.  bear_sad
My guess is that too many people are trying to see this at the same time.

Here is another link you can try, but I couldn't get any images either : http://www.wildearth.tv/web/wwbearden01/home

I think we will have to try again later ...

Hugs,  :hug:

Peter

puca bears puca bears

I think you're right Peter......I just checked and got the webcam link, but it wouldn't connect. I know that the site crashed when the webcam was first installed (Friday), so I guess we'll have to be patient. I'll post if and when I hear any more news
huggies
Maria

puca bears puca bears

OK - latest news ( from the Wildlife  Institute)is that the success of the webcam has crashed the Bear Center site AND the live streaming site........
bear power working against us???????? It's funny when you think that all we want to watch is a sleeping bear!
huggies
Maria

puca bears wrote:

It's funny when you think that all we want to watch is a sleeping bear!

I think it will be more entertaining than most of the shows they give on TV !  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Peter & the bears

puca bears puca bears

You're right there, Peter! I was lucky when I first looked this morning......I was still trying to figure out the bear configuration of   the   gently breathing black blob, when she sort of woke - so I got head, legs etc sorted, and just sat there entranced! Can't wait to see the cubs when they finally arrive
huggies
Maria

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

It's back up.  Looks like a little snow is coming down and all I could detect was a mass of 'breathing' fur.  Cool!

Murrieta, California

Gosh I wish I could sleep that sound!!!!  :pray:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  She was awake and moving around when I checked in at 11:00pm central time.  The camera is so close that it's hard to determine exactly what part of her I'm watching, but all of a sudden her head came into view and she looked like she was trying to lick the camera.  Later she raked off some of the snow with her paws.  Wow, so exciting!

Murrieta, California

Boy I'm lovin' this link!! bear_wub  bear_wub
Up all hours of the night dealing with this brain tumor this link has given me something to focus on other than pain.  bear_original
Around 4 am PST she started to move a bit and then between 5 and 5:30 am she really showed her cute face and groomed herself quite a bit.
Boy this is fun!!! bear_original
Thanks again for the link.

puca bears puca bears

Hi Cyndee.......not sure of the time difference between us - was that about an hour ago?? I was watching too, and that was the longest time so far that I've seen  her  awake..........just so wonderful to be able to watch, isn't it? I was very intrigued to see her digging a bit in the far corner - since she was so fidgety, I wondered if she was making a more comfy pillow for herself..........I also wonder what she thinks of the camera - she is obviously aware of it.  Oh dear - this is becoming a bit addictive - sigh.........
huggies - and take care :hug:  :hug:
Maria

Murrieta, California

Hi Maria,
I believe Germany is 9 hours ahead of California. Right now it's 9 am here and it should be 6 pm in Germany. So at 5 am here today it would have been 2 pm for you.  You did post about 1 hour after me so that would have been right at the time I was watching her. I saw her do pretty much the same thing as you. A lot of scratching, licking and she looked right into the camera!!You could really see her face!! It was neat!! I'm hopelessly addicted I'm afraid. :)
I do hope with others here on Teddy Talk watching that maybe we can alert each other when she goes into labor.
I have to leave for the doctors right now but when I return I want to research the web and see about how long they labor for. I have no idea if it varies like for humans or if it pretty much take around the same time for each bear.
I do hope we can see it live on the cam!!

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub Big black mass breathing was all I saw,will check again later, it is very fascinating. thanx for sharing.

Murrieta, California

She's moving right now Pat and you can see her face. bear_original

Wow, she is very active right now; she just got up and yawned three times...
Now she is grooming herself : licking her paws, her eyes open and close all the time.
At the bottom left of the picture you can see her muzzle and her paws :

bearden.jpg

I could watch this for hours, much better that TV ...  bear_grin

Thanks Maria,

Peter

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub Your are right Cyndee, I came back and she picked up her head and licked a little and cuddled back to sleep.  I love watching her.
See you all later.
Pat

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Thank you Maria for such a wonderful post!
How lovely!!!!  I'm totally hooked now ....  will I ever make it to the kitchen in order to cook an evening meal???
Guess that's good for a bit of weight loss though!! :crackup:

Hugs to all.

Marilyn bear_flower  bear_flower

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

She was finishing her grooming when I checked in today.  Then she did a slow change of positions and settled down for a nap.  How fun!

Missouri
Website

bear_grin  I finally got to see Lily...she is awake and licking herself.  I am so happy.  She is so sweet!

puca bears puca bears

OMG.....we will all be glued to our computer screens soon........I just spent the bast part of an hour watching Lily fidgeting around, grooming and then......and I thought they didn't eat while hibernating - having a little snack! She was pulling in vegetation from outside, and rooting around in the floor of her den - and chomping away at roots and - well - who knows what?!
Don't you get the impression some times that she KNOWs we're watching?????????
huggies
Maria

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Great screen capture, Peter!

And I saw Lily's face for the first time just now! She is blinking and occasionally sticking that wonderful nose up in the air for a good sniff.  bear_wub

Becky

Board footer