Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

puca bears puca bears

Back again - forgot to mention - CYNDEE - she is wearing a radio collar - the research bears trust Dr. Rogers enough that he is able to put their collars on just as you or I would, on our dogs! The collars make the bears trackable, but also serve another purpose - telling hunters that these bears are special - DON'T shoot them! Makes ms feel sick to think that anyone would want to kill one of these glorious beasties - but it happens...
huggies
Maria

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

Thanks Sue Ann. bear_original
This is so much fun!! I have been lucky enough to see a lot of movement and also I was able to see her leave the den and come back. There was one time she was cleaning herself and then she just started to look around, at the camera a bit, checked outside some and then she was just sitting there contemplating life it seemed. All of a sudden I was overwhelmed with the feeling that she was incredibly lonely. I don't know why exactly. Her eyes seemed sad.  And I started to cry. bear_cry 
Crazy I know but I can't wait for her to have her cubs! At least I will know she isn't lonely!! bear_original

Murrieta, California

Maria yes she is.
If you catch her while she is awake and moving around and scratching you will see it nice and clear. :)
She does trust Dr Lynn but I don't know if he sedated her before putting it on or not.

Murrieta, California

Oh Sorry Maria!!
I too worry about the same thing especially with all the attention in the media she is getting. I would hate for some nut to try to find her den and do something to her just to get some attention for himself. Some really crazy post have been on Face Book live chat line. :(
I do think the institute is watching her very closely so hopefully no one will find her.
When she does leave she doesn't go far from her den at all. bear_original

puca bears puca bears

Hi Cyndee - me again!  We were very fortunate on this side of the pond to be able to see "Bearwalker of the Northwoods" on BBC last  October.........a documentary about Lyn Rogers and the bears - apparently, it WILL be shown on Animal Planet some time this year, so hopefully, you'll be able to catch it.........
anyway - we did see Dr Rogers putting collars on several of the bears  -- NO darting and anaesthetic needed - didn't seem to bother them one bit! And before the hunting season starts, they thread big red bows through the collars, and also put up signs everywhere, asking the hunters not to hurt the bears........and last season, NONE of the bears in the study area were harmed. But as you say - it only takes one misguided nutter with a gun.........it still hurts to think of Bruno, the Brown bear who wandered into Bavaria a few years back. At first he had protected status, and several attempts were made to capture him........but then the state Govt seemed to give up, and declared open season on him.........he was shot within hours. BUT - the killer actually had to go into hiding - death threats!

enough .. MUST do some sewing!
huggies
Maria

Murrieta, California

Thanks Maria for the update and info.
Hopefully I can see the show soon. I became a member and donated and I'm suppose to be getting an info packet with some pictures too. It's good to hear he didn't have to do anything to them to get the collars on. bear_original
Such a sweet bear she is!! bear_wub  bear_wub
Happy sewing!!!!! bear_original

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Yea!  They are going to have Lily T-shirts!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Murrieta, California

I know I can't wait to get one!!! I hope they have LARGE sizes. bear_original

Pat Klein Faux Paw Bears
Tallahassee, Florida

Talk about great minds running in the same circles or is that ruts? bear_rolleyes I just found this site last night while doing research on bear hibernation for my upcoming bear blog that I'm writing (maybe never to be published--I'm shy :redface: )  At anyrate...a half hour later Lilly had not moved except for a few barely perceptable breathes and I was still spellbound.  Finally I tore myself away making a mental note to come back in earnest in 2 1/2 weeks around birthing time with some sewing in hand to wait for cubs.

FYI I really had not appreciated bears for the wonderful miracles of nature they are until I discovered what metabolic feats they achieve during their winter snoozes. 

Pat

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

She IS awake right now! I saw her face facing the camera for a few seconds...

I think she is bored and trying to sleep again.
She just hid her muzle under her "arm", trying the find the best posture, I suppose. But for a change, she is not showing her back!!!!

LilyBear-1_1.jpg

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
lapousmour wrote:

She IS awake right now! I saw her face facing the camera for a few seconds...

Isn't she lovely, Sophie?  bear_wub  I'm happy that you were able to see her.

Becky

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

I have been checking on her for a few days and each time I could only see the top of her back, so not interesting at all and she was always sleeping.

But tonight, as soon as I began to broadcast her she was fixing the videocamera! Finaly, I managed to see her face! bear_thumb

I look forward when she will have her babies, as she will be much more active with babies to look after. My concern is that I will have to avoid spending too much time watching her  bear_tongue ! When she sleeps, it takes me only one minute to visit her.

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

puca bears puca bears

I love that pic of Lily, Sophie - the perspective makes her look rather cub-like.........
Well she has certainly made a statement today - she got quite active a couple of hours ago, lots of  meticulous grooming, the she actually got out of the den to rake lots more vegetation/bedding IN, and after getting back into her den, spent some time seemingly sorting through it............and then casually kicked a whole lot back out, half obscuring the den entrance! It's almost as if she has decided that a young lady NEEDS some privacy - and who can blame her?  Maybe the cubs are on their way at last...
huggies
Maria

Murrieta, California

According to the official site they don't see that Lily hasn't given birth.
Don't know what you are looking at Susan but there are a lot of bogus videos/ pictures going around.

Murrieta, California

What happened to your link you posted about Lily Susan?
Sorry Susan I tried to post with an update but it was gone, :(
Again sorry. bear_original

puca bears puca bears

Morning here.......and I had a look thru the posts on Facebook - seems the pic of the cubs was a fake, Susan!
Very happy later yesterday, to see that Lily had taken pity on everyone, and cleared away the bedding from the edge of the den, so we could see her again............
And there she is , fast asleep - and no sign of babies.....but it's fun, just watching Lily.
huggies
Maria

puca bears puca bears

Hi Lily watchers..
the BBC did a story on their website today   - the close up of Lily is quite alarming - her eyes are really bloodshot!!!!!!!!
Theres a couple of links to clips from "The Bearwalker of the Northwoods" too - lovely stuff !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_ne … 462296.stm

huggies
Maria

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
puca bears wrote:

the close up of Lily is quite alarming - her eyes are really bloodshot!!!!!!!!

Mine look the same way when somebody wakes me up too early!  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Someone put together a beautiful video tribute to our girl. It includes more flattering photos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKwmLmsUGvQ

Becky

puca bears puca bears

I think my eyes look like that too, Becky - all this time glued to the computer screen! I swear that if I even look at a PHOTO of a black bear, I can see it breathing........... :crackup:
Thanks for the link - some gorgeous photos - and I love the ones of the dog and cat checking out the bear in the living room!
huggies
Maria

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

amazing, I just suddenly worked out where Lily was when I saw her breathing! How exciting, thanks so much for sharing the link
x

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

She was out of her den when I visited her. But she is now back and I still cannot figure out what she is doing. I think she is re-doing her dbedding. Yes, she is moving things together with her paws and her mouth.
She is strugling with something the shape of a lace. she is moving so close to the video camera!

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Murrieta, California

Update.:)
Yes Sophie she was out today. She went and got herself a pine tree branch and took it back to her den and chewed it up and made some bedding out of it.
I think she might be getting close. :)
Sure hope so!!!!!!!!!

puca bears puca bears

Well - it's Lily's birthday today - maybe she'll give herself a present or two??????   Would be so nice - not least in that I might   then get to bed earlier - MUST stop taking a "final peek for the day"!  I popped in just after she left her den to go foraging - so there I was AGAIN, mesmerised for a good hour or more...........it's all right for her - she gets to sleep and SLEEP..........
huggies
Maria

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Lily is busy chewing branches etc to make her bedding more comfy. I just had a look a few minutes ago... while having a cup of tea.

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Murrieta, California

I think someone near by should bake her a cake and take it to her. bear_original

Board footer