Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
lapousmor wrote:

Poor Lily and cub, it is snowing a lot. I can see that the entry the den is now covered with snow and there is also some snow on Lily's back.

Here's a link to a short article from the bear center about snow on bears:

http://www.bear.org/website/bear-pages/ … -back.html

Becky

puca bears puca bears

Yes, Marilyn - I feel LUCKY - and mightily relieved that we booked straight away! I feel it is going to be an immense privilege to meet the bears, under such expert supervision......and we are going to learn such a lot. And Jeremy s going to have a field day (or few) taking photos.....      roll on, August!
huggies
Maria :hug:  :hug:

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Maria, what a wonderful experience to look forward too.  I can't wait to see photos.  I've been totally hooked on Lily and her cub.  I was so excited  to be watching during the birth , and today got to see the squealing cubs head, along with several other thrilled watchers.   I feel like a new mom constantly checking on the baby LOL. 

Thanks so much for posting the link.

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

Maria ,
I think you should send your avatar bear picture to Dr. Lynn. It looks so much like Lily I think he would love it!! bear_original

puca bears puca bears

My pleasure, TAMMY! Lily was definitely in the top category of "Too good not to share"! 
The whole thing has been such an experience for everyone, not least the bear researchers, I think. A prime example of the "wonders of Mother Nature" - I know it happens every day, non-stop, but it's still awesome to see a first-time mother  who KNOWS exactly what to do and does it perfectly. 
CYNDEE - I have another black bear which actually didn't have a name, but of course is now "Lily" - methinks it's time for a new avatar.....  I'll ask himself to find the pic tonight so I can post it.
big huggies
Maria

puca bears puca bears

Here you go, CYNDEE  -- this one was just called "Does my Bum/butt look big in this?".........but she has sort of become Lily (no offense
to the beautiful bear!)
huggies
Maria

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Oh wow, love the new avatar Maria!

Murrieta, California

Perfect!! Thanks for posting Maria!

puca bears puca bears

Thanks, Katy and Cyndee - glad you like her! Must admit, I'm rather fond of this one..........
Anyone noticing that cubby's  vocalisations seem to be getting more varied - I swear he has one which could best be represented by "?".
Wonder if he is getting more aware  - I've certainly seem Lily move sometimes WITHOUT any screams of protest from junior - oh for an extra camera at the BACK of the den!
huggies
Maria

Murrieta, California

Yes an extra camera would be nice!!:)

puca bears puca bears

Hi Susan
of course we haven't forgotten! Looking forward to visiting you .......... :hug:  :hug:
the dates for the course are the 22nd to 25th August (Sunday to wednesday) but that will be at the Wildlife Research Institute - we'll be staying at the lodge there.....I imagine we'll come visit you afterwards (or meet up with you in Ely). So far we've decided that our best bet is to fly to Duluth and hire a car there - planned to book this week, but with a lot of snow around, Jeremy is working from home. Hopefully we'll get the flights sorted out next week or so - I'll keep you informed! It still seems such a long way off.......and I am dying to meet the bears - but on the up-side, Lily's cub will be quite big by then.
Just one thing - with all the lakes around - I imagine there will be lots of mosquitoes? Not something that Jeremy worries about - they positively LOVE me, so he never gets bitten!
huggies
Maria :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

puca bears puca bears

For those of you who like me aren't exactly GLUED to the computer screen all day long........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwV1EbvL18o
This is the best sighting of cubbie yet.........and the first time I've seen Lily's face for a while - she always has her back turned when I look in on her!
huggies
Maria

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Aawww, Maria,  isn't that just absolutely beautiful!  I pop in to see Lily several times a day hoping to catch a glimpse of something exciting happening.

This particular little part of the video is gorgeous, and I adore the little noises that Lily makes in reply to the cub's screams.  So very sweet and it always
puts a massive grin across my face.  Even just listening while I sew seems to have a soooooooothing effect on me!!  Ha!  Better than rotten old TV!

Hugs

Marilyn

puca bears puca bears

Same here, Marilyn - but I almost always seem to pick times when Lily and baby are fast asleep.
But they are quite magical ........it's going to be so nice when the baby starts to move about..........and I expect Lily would relish being able to stretch her legs without being screamed at!   
huggies
Maria

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

I'm another fan who checks in several times a day.  I've watched that fantastic video over and over admiring that dear little cub today.  I've been lucky most days when I watch the cub is making lots of noise , especially first thing in the morning here.   It makes the most precious sounds.   My family thinks I'm insane but I don't care LOL.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Count me in, too, as a Lily/cub den cam addict.  I wore my Lily t-shirt today and love it.  Yesterday's cub sighting video was THE BEST and the sounds coming from both mom and baby are just awesome.  Did anyone watch the tribute to Lynn Rogers, "Through the Lens - The Bear Man"?  Incredible how this man has become such an advocate for wildlife.  And did you read on the Facebook page that the researchers are 90% sure the cub is a female?  Also, there is going to be more Lily memorabilia coming out . . . mousepads, magnets, mugs, pictures, etc.  Yahoo!

puca bears puca bears

Hi Sue Ann  - I just found the link and watched "through the lens"   - utterly glorious! bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub
The approach of Dr. Rogers and co is SO special - they really love and respect the bears, and it's wonderful to see how the bears trust them. It was really brought home to me yesterday when I watched another video "Black bear cubs" which showed researchers approaching a den armed with a shovel and an anaesthetic syringe on a long pole..........Knock out mother bear, drag out her three terrified and loudly protesting cubs so they could weigh and measure them - then drag mum out so they could change the battery on her radio collar...............  Contrast that with Lynn's approach - mum pops her head out "Oh , it's you - hello.........meet the kids"!
It's so good that the baby is a girl - means that she will stick around in the area - then they'll have FOUR generations of the same family to study.
I was idly wondering whether , in a few weeks, Lily will be subjected to the bear equivalent of "can I go out to play?" and "is it SPRING yet?" :crackup:
Having a bear hibernating in your computer sure is FUN!
big huggies
Maria :hug:  :hug:

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

Picture-2.pngMaria, what a wonderful opportunity your trip will be.  I have just checked out Lily again and wee bear is fast asleep, sooo cute.  LOVED the You Tube clip to see both their faces.  Right now I can just see Lily's wonderful fluffy belly moving up and down sleeping!  Here's a photo I just took.  See bub up in the top. Hugs, Catherine xx

binglebears bingle bears
Upstate, NY

Oh, thank you SO much for posting the youtube link, Maria!!!  Whenever I check in on Lily and her cub, they are always fast asleep.  All of us here loved seeing and listening to the cub!!! bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

puca bears puca bears

Yes, Catherine  -that video is just wonderful - only a brief glimpse, but SO gorgeous bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub
I definitely can't get enough of this bear watching - and I still have to pinch myself when I think of us actually BEING there in August - betcha I get all emotional at first bear meeting!    Maybe I'll wander off and find an old den - and take up residence...........
huggies
Maria
Ps - CHERYL.......glad you enjoyed the video!

Murrieta, California

I actually got to see this as it was happening.  bear_wub
The best sighting of baby girl so far.
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php … 3755115498

puca bears puca bears

This little cub casts a mighty big spell..........I spent two hours or more this morning watching her sleep. She seemed to have wriggled her way up Lily's flank and was nestled behind a knee (!) with her little head and front paws peeking out. With those disproportionately large paws she looked like a little mole.......... bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub
Can't wait till she get more mobile.......I'll have to move all my sewing gear next to the computer!
huggies
Maria

puca bears puca bears

Cubbie sightings are on the increase as she gets more adventurous! She is turning into a little DIVA isn't she - waving at the camera like that?  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub
It's really going to be something to behold, when her eyes open........
big huggies
Maria

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

The bear gift shop will now take international orders for Lily t-shirts!!

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub Haven't you all been watching the bear den?  That baby sure is big now and loves to make a lot of noise, this am she was between mom's arms and could see her whole face and legs.  It is so wonderful to see her growing, what a wonderful site.
hugs Pat

Board footer