Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

RubySitting1j.jpgLate in December I posted on my Facebook Fan Page asking fans what color my first elephant of 2010 should be. One collector suggested red. I don't like red... unless it's on a Ford Mustang (we have one!)... so for me this was going to be a real stretch and challenge. I was up for it and I'm glad I did because I'm starting to like red now!

Meet Ruby! She's just under 13 inches tall and made of Schulte mohair and ultrasuede. The collector really designed the whole piece... she wanted red hearts on the ear... and it took me quite a few tries at various techniques and materials to get hearts on there. I didn't want to glue anything and I didn't like how fabric paints worked on the ultrasuede. Finally, I machine needlefelted wool cut out hearts and it worked beautifully (save for the few needles I broke!) and they'll never come off!

Ruby is off to live in Washington State!!

RubyStanding1.png

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I really like your elephant design - the proportions, the face... and this red sweetheart is just lovely!

Becky

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Aww, she's fabulous, glad you got over your dislike of red!  Really like the wee hearts in the ear too.

WoozieJu Woozie Ju Bears
North Walsham
Website

She's lovely Daphne!
I know what you mean about sometimes not liking what other people want on commission work.... I always prefer my normal creations!
You've done a really good job on Ruby though, she's great..
Luv & Hugs,
Julia x

Rich1988 aRTy Bears
Burton, Staffs

I'm not a big fan of elephants BUT... I love this one. I agree with the above, the proportions are just right and she stands up so well and I love the colour and little details. Great job.

Richard
x

Elaine1 Stavert Bears

Ruby is great I love the colour she really stands out  bear_thumb

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Thank you for the compliments! bear_flower
I appreciate your comments about the proportions. Although I agree with you I've also been considering making an ellie with a taller body. You talked me out of it! I think I'll spend my design time on an entirely different animal altogether!
First I must finish up 3 more ellies that are just as colorful (but not red!) and will be looking for new homes!

Rinn Posts: 22

She is such a CUTIE  bear_wub

Thea-MillyMe Milly MeĀ®
Website

Well that is quite something ruby-red. I really love her  bear_wub
The suggestion for her color turned out very well. I like her proportions as well as the others. And I also think she has a very cute face.

binglebears bingle bears
Upstate, NY

Sweet, sweet, SWEET!!! bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub I just LOVE her!

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub Geez, Daphne, that sweeet little elephant is wonderful.  you know how they show cartoons that are in love with the hearts floating out of their head, those little hearts look like the elle is in love.  So cute and the color is fabulous.  Great for Valentines day.  Its a keeper!  xox

Board footer