Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Rich1988 aRTy Bears
Burton, Staffs

Hi Everyone

So my birthday's in April and I'm looking to get my first sewing machine. The problem is, I don't know what I'm looking for!
Can anyone help? I'm looking at spending around £100-£150 and want a machine for basic bear work and a few basic bear clothes.
Any recommended models would be appreciated but beyond this can anyone help with what I'm looking for in a machine. Stitches, foot pressure, tension etc? Should i be asking any questions about to machine to check if it's suitable for my bear work?
Just to make it clear  bear_tongue  I've never used a sewing machine before in my life so the simpler any explanations the better. Also any machine will need to be easy to learn to use.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Richard
x

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

I'd go into somewhere like John Lewis and talk to the people there about what may suit you.  http://www.sewingmachinediscount.co.uk/ has some great deals online when you come to buy.  I got my Brother one from there at less than half the RRP.  I got the XR6600 when it was about £30 lower than they have it right now, but they have all sorts of weekend deals and things if you keep an eye out, and very fast delivery.  Actually that machine is very nice (especially when compared to my gran's 25 year old one I had been using!), but I'm sure you could get by with a much lower spec, I was just suckered in by the great deal  :lol:

Edited to add:  I see you've got a sewing machine shop in Burton that may be able to help Frister & Rossman, 12 St. Marys Drive, Burton on Trent,
Staffordshire DE13 0JJ.  Otherwise it's Nottingham or Leicester for sewing machine shops I'm afraid

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

Hi Richard,

For bears, you really only need a straight stitch (and the ability to go backwards is very helpful), but you'll have the least frustration with a strong, heavy duty machine.  I found that some machines do tight or small curves easier than others.  For your price range, I would suggest a used machine, if you can find one.  I like the old heavy metal ones from a good manufacturer such as Pfaff, Bernina, and Viking.  Bernina has a feature that lifts the presser foot with your knee which is very helpful for doing curves.  The old Singer Featherweights are great, too, but tend to be kind of pricey.  If you take some of your bear fabric scraps and fabrics you like for clothing, you can try out the various machines and see what you like.  If you buy from a shop (at least in the US) the used machines usually have a 6 month warranty.  You might try the classifieds too, but make sure you can try out the machine before buying.

hugs,

Ellen

enchantmentsart Feather Heart Creations
TX

I have this machine & I love it http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-50-St … ay/8798084 I got it on sale at my local Wal-mart for like $99 & it's great for a basic machine.  I also have a pfaff which is an amazing machine but way more expensive (this it was $600 used).  It's funny but my cheaper brother machine works small things better, than the pfaff & the pfaff can do thicker fabrics bear_original Also that brother machine has a drop in bobbin design so it doesn't "bind" as much as some machines.

clare14 Country Bears
England

Hi Richard,

I use old heavy machines, they're fab and do everything I want.  I also have featherweights and am a HUGE fan, but they can be expensive and rather moreish lol!!   (The rarer 222k is fab for bear clothes)  I frequently use 2 REALLY old Singers and they do me proud.   I just don't get on with the newer machines for bears, I'm a bit of a machineaholic but the old ones always win for me (and will get rather told off this house move by hubby lol)  bear_tongue

Hope you find one you like....xx

BoPeep Posts: 0

Hi just reading through your posts and to get a machine that's sturdy but not too expensive I really like my Toyota Sewing Machine and it was less than £100. It is great for making bear clothes and human clothes too!

Boogaloo Bears Boogaloo Bears
united kingdom

Hi Richard

I have a Brother electric sewing machine which was bought for me as a Christmas present a few years ago. 

I too was a sewing machine virgin and felt extremely intimidated by it, however it was really easy to understand the userguide and I only use the machine when making larger bears (not a lover of making clothes!)  bear_grin

I am starting to notice now though (after a few years of use), that the machine is getting a little clogged up, so be sure that whichever you chose, you have it serviced regularly too  :thumbsup:

I live in Stoke-On-Trent and there is a sewing machine shop in Tunstall - you may want to 'Google' where your nearest supplier is?

Good luck and happy sewing

Hugs

Lisa x

Board footer