Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

I just wanted to let everyone know about another problem with ebay that I'm sure had an effect on more than my auction.

I've been getting a bunch of emails from different collectors telling me that their bids on my last panda bear did not go through - they all bid in the last minute.  One of them told me that it looked like her bid went through, but when the auction ended the winning bid was lower than her bid.  I've been trying to get an answer from ebay about it, but so far have just been told "it seems that, the bidder might have tried to bid on
the last minute of the listing and that is the reason their bid was not
registered."

I was not aware that there was any problem with bids not being registered if done in the last minute... I've often bid for things I wanted during the last minute of an auction.  My bears usually receive their high bids in the last minute.  Has this happened to anyone else?

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I always bid in the last 12 seconds.  I have a high speed internet connection and have never had a problem.  All I can say is this sounds like it may be a slow connection problem?  You really have to be an experienced bidder to bid close to the end.  My opinion only.
Joanne

Hazelton, BC
Website

One of the bidders told me "And in the case of my bid I saw it went through (it said I was the high bidder!) but then suddenly at the end it wasn't there."  She usually bids in the last minute and there has never been a problem before.  Another bidder told me that she bid 25 seconds before the auction ended.... very odd that it didn't go through.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I hope the bidders will contact ebay.  that is a big problem.
Joanne

sandra p skye rose bears
kent
Website

hi melisa,i have always bid in the last few seconds,ive been doing it that way for about 6 years now,and twice ive had my bid not register,even though i would have been the highest bidder,more and more people seem to be bidding this way ,in the very last seconds,maybe because there are more people doing it now some bids dont get through,whatever it is ebay need to look at this problem,joannes right if the bidders contact ebay maybe this can get sorted,it does seem strange that one of your bidders was shown as highest bidder,then her bid wasnt there,this definately needs fixing
sandra

Hazelton, BC
Website

Thank you for your input Joanne & Sandra!  It does make it hard to feel confident about putting a bear on with a lower reserve.  The collector I mentioned above looked back in her history on her internet and found one page that showed she had a high bid of $601 at one point - yet another bidder won with $601...  how can that happen?  This is a hard one to deal with as it really isn't fair to those who bid higher.  I'm worried that this will happen again.  bear_sad

Cheshire Cat Wilmslow Cheshire

Hi Melissa ,
If they both bid the same amount right at the end the person who bid that amount first will win the bear ,hope that helps !
hugs,
Louise x

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

Louise is right. :)
And I question what the other bidders say about having a higher bid. Maybe they thought they did. I'm sure it was all well intended. It can get very confusing. eBay wants the highest bidder to win too so I don't know why a higher bid would not. It surely doesn't benefit eBay either. I use a bidding service to place my bids and my bids always go in at the last 5 seconds of the auction.
I hope it all works out Melissa because I think your bear should sell for 3 times their amount !!!!
Love your bears and you!!! bear_wub  bear_wub

Hazelton, BC
Website

Aww... thank you for the kind words Cyndee - you are so sweet!   :hug:  And thank you Louise for commenting on this.   bear_flower 

This bidder actually has the ebay page in her history that shows her as the highest bidder at one point at $601 so she would have been the first bidder with that amount.  This is a collector who has won more than a few of my auctions in the last minute and who knows what she is doing. We are trying to get answers from ebay about this. 

It looks like this isn't too wide spread a problem, so that is a relief anyway!   bear_thumb

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

Melisa PLEASE let us know what you find out.
I know many are fed up with eBay and are very frustrated. I have had my problems too. But where else can you go and sell a bear for more than most of our parents paid for their first house!!!!! bear_original

Board footer