Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Carlyle Bear Co. Carlyle Bear Co.
Ft Myers FL

I have really only been actively selling my bears for a little over one year now and I'm having one of those doh! :doh: moments.   Why did I not start a mailing list as I was going along?  What was I thinking?  I do have an app on my blog where you can sign up but I never thought to ask the customers along the way that purchased my bears if I could send them an email announcing a new bear.   bear_rolleyes Would it be alright to add them to my mailing list without asking?  I don't know if I feel okay with that though.

Also, do you send a picture of your new work in the email or do you simply send them a link to your website to increase your traffic there?  I did read through the library on the topic of mailing lists but there wasn't anything very recent so I was hoping to get some advice on this subject.

Thanks! :hug:

Us Bears Pennsylvania

It is okay to send an OCCASIONAL unsolicited e-mail to past customers.  (A few times per year or once per month.)  But you must always allow people to opt out.  It would be smart to put a link in the e-mail that lets them opt out automatically.  If and when you do receive opt-outs, OBEY THEM.  If you don't do this, you risk getting reported as a spammer.  If you do get reported and your e-mails get blocked, you won't be able to do business with anybody under that e-mail address.

For pictures, it's a good idea to LINK people to them or to send people to your website to see them instead of including them in the e-mail.  Large attachments in e-mails will make them download too slowly.  Don't forget.  There are still a lot of people in the USA who can not get DSL or cable internet.  At least 25% of the population still uses dial-up.  In some areas it can be even higher.  If your e-mails contain large images and they take too long to download...  CLICK!  They go in the trash!  They'll never be read!

If you want to include a SMALL picture that would be okay but it should be less than 100 or 200 kilobytes.  It takes about 5 to 7 minutes to download a megabyte via dialup.  100 kilobytes would take roughly 45 seconds to a minute to download.  That's about the limit of patience you can expect from your customers.

Most people are used to getting commercial e-mail, these days so they shouldn't get upset by receiving an occasional e-mail if it is polite, well written and doesn't take too long to download.   bear_thumb

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I recently had a bear artist that I'd had contact with through ebay ask me (via an email) if I'd like to be on her mailing list. The message said that I needn't reply if I wasn't interested.

(I was interested. I did reply. I did not mind her asking.)  bear_original

Becky

Ft Myers FL

:hug: Thanks US Bears for the great advice.  I would absolutely not send any emails to someone who opted out. 

Becky I like the way the email that was sent to you was worded that you need not reply if it was okay with you.

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

When I have someone showing interest in my bears I try to remember to ask them if they would like to be on my mailing list - I usually do this when I reply to their questions/comments.  I often forget to ask though.  Personally, I don't feel comfortable sending unsolicited emails - but that's just my feeling... I'm not very good at marketing.

In the emails I send, I treat them kind of like a mini flyer as I usually send when I have a creation ready either on ebay or on my website.  I include a picture... after all a picture says a thousand words!  I also include a short description and a link to where the creation is available.

Good for you to get going on this... a mailing list is very important!   bear_thumb

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I think it's not good to send out unsolicited emails..even to previous customers...however you could put together a little note asking if they'd like to sign up to your new mailing list. I think that's the best way.

I use Constant Contact which enables customers to join or opt out without even getting in touch with me. I usually get a three or so of new people every week this way..and you can send photos and choose lots of different templates. That way it doesn't take ages to send an email out and block up people mailboxes with big picture files. You can even see how many open the email and monitor its effectiveness.
Maybe it's not for now but for the future it does make good sense. There are other systems which are equally good but I found this one very user friendly..and reasonably priced!

Ft Myers FL

I will keep constant contact in mind.  I agree that unsolicited emails are not a good idea.  I know that I don't appreciate them. bear_happy   You have all given me a lot to think about and put in to practice.  I think the best way is to either start from this point on and move forward or at the most send an email to all of my past customers asking them if they would like future notices from me.  I still haven't made a decision about this.  At this point I don't have a large enough list to warrant a service so I'll just use the bcc and send them out that way.

Thank you so much for your ideas! :hug:

Us Bears Pennsylvania

People are more inclined to accept unsolicited e-mail if the subject is interesting to them even if they aren't going to buy.  Just as some people like to window shop, some people like to e-mail shop.

If the message is tasteful, well written and offers something they like they won't be upset by it.  They might not buy anything.  They might not even read the entire e-mail but they are happy to just skim it over and delete it when they are done.

I think they keys are:

1)  Taste and professionalism.
2)  Customer interest.
3)  Not obtrusive.
4)  Allows customer opt-outs.

Cover all four of those bases and I don't think you will have trouble.

White Forest White Forest Bears
Southern California
Us Bears wrote:

People are more inclined to accept unsolicited e-mail if the subject is interesting to them even if they aren't going to buy.  Just as some people like to window shop, some people like to e-mail shop.

If the message is tasteful, well written and offers something they like they won't be upset by it.  They might not buy anything.  They might not even read the entire e-mail but they are happy to just skim it over and delete it when they are done.

I think they keys are:

1)  Taste and professionalism.
2)  Customer interest.
3)  Not obtrusive.
4)  Allows customer opt-outs.

Cover all four of those bases and I don't think you will have trouble.

Yes you would.  That is spam.  What you might think are #1-4 is spam to someone else.  unsolicited emails are NEVER a good thing.  There are other ways to get collectors and members such as social networking, forums, magazines, blogs, etc.

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

I agree with Erin.
It's just not worth taking a chance and being reported as spam or offending a customer or potential customer.
I receive many emails a day because I have signed up for mailing lists. Most are through websites or blogs I visit. I can't think of one time where there wasn't an option to be added to the mailing list. If I receive an email unsolicited I delete it. I'm sure whatever you decide you will be able to build a mailing list with just a little hard work. bear_original

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

my first attempt at a mailing list I sent 6 emails to the same recipient, luckly she was understanding...haven't tried since..

I too feel a little odd sending out emails of this nature as I feel as if I may be intruding...just me

Board footer