Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

eatcakevintage Eat Cake! bears and vintage
Ormond Beach, FL

I broke down and ordered some dyes. I ordered the Procion MX Cold Dye. Anyone have any experience with these.  I was looking for a dye that only dyed the backing and not the mohair itself. From what I have read, I may just have to paint the dye on the backing. Has anyone else done this?

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Hmmm that's a tough one, we have used the cold water dye but we actually boiled it  bear_grin   when we did that it coloured both the mohair and the backing. I would be very interested to see how you make out with it. Keep us posted with the results. 

Hugs

shane

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

I have another question regarding dyes.  I have some Kool-Aid and am thinking of taking the plunge.

What do you dye, the whole piece of mohair or do you cut out your patten pieces and just dye these...

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

You may need to thicken the dye with Guar Gum or similar, then wrap the piece in plastic overnight, then rinse out. Thickening it will give you more control if you don't want it to bleed into the mohair. Some experimentation may be in order. (You should be able to get guar gum from a healthfood store, a little goes a long way)

eatcakevintage Eat Cake! bears and vintage
Ormond Beach, FL

Denise - I do both dyeing a whole piece and already cut out pieces. The edges fray a little if you have the pieces cut out. I have put on fray check and then dyed the pieces and that turned out good. You will get most of the color on the fur and not the backing. Start out with a little koolaid and keep adding until you get the color you want.

I will keep you posted. I can't wait to get it next week and experiment.

Shane - I did read about wrapping it in plastic and letting it sit.

Linda - thank you for the tip, I will be trying the guar gum.

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

thanks for the tip,  must bite the bullet and go for it...now where did I put the Kool-aid?????

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

Denise I have found that you get a much better colour if you don't use as much water.  My suggestion is to soak mohair in water to see how much you need then add that amount to the kool aid rather than making it up according to directions.  Hope this makes sense.

Board footer